73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2016, 01:59 AM
Suspended

Default Still getting to hot & then overheating.

Well I broke down 2 days ago & bought an electric fan out of a Taurus & I have it mounted it & wired up with a T-stat that will turn it on at 180*. I have tried a lot of things & this I hope is going to solve it. The car has an Alum. rad 3"'s thick & I pulled the water pump & put one of my NOS divider plate in that is now clearanced at about .10ths maybe a little closer then that. I also installed my NOS sleeves & seals. In the AM I'll put a new lower hose on it & put it back together to see if this fixes it. I can drive the car (before) down the road & it would stay right at 165*, but if I got into any traffic it would creep up to about 220*. Then if I had to sit for any length of time 10+ min's it would start to overheat. Yes overheat it would start to boil into the overflow jug , then if I couldn't get moving it would start to boil out of the overflow jug like an old percolator coffee pop. I haven't had it stop on me as I've always found a way to get moving again. Once I got moving again it would go back down to 165 in about 3-5 miles at speed. I also have replaced the T-stat twice to no avail. I should have it all back together in the AM to see if this electric fan is the fix. OH. I had a new clutch & 7 blade fan on it all during this to. I have heard a lot of good things about the Taurus fan for this condition, so I'll cross my fingers on this. Also this is a new engine with about 1500 miles on it now. I've had this problem for the entire time. Any one have any other ideas ??