Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-29-2022, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Installed 200r4 trans

I am almost done with the 200r4 install. Just want to let those of you who are planning this what to expect
I bought the trans for $400 with converter. Spent $600 on a rebuilt kit that included shift kit and some hardened parts and bought a billet servo for $140. I built it myself. There are good videos on you tube that take you step by step. It's really not that hard.
The installation went smooth, the th400 came out and 200r4 went right in with the same trans mount and crossmember in about an hour. keep in mind this is a metric trans, had to order metric converter bolts. The TV cable that came on the trans was too short to reach the carb. Had to order a longer one. You need to buy an adaptor to attach the TV cable to the Holley. I had to modify the dip stick tube because it mounted to the chevy bolt pattern. I ordered a longer slip yoke because the drive shaft was a tad too short. Also had to buy special universal joint that has pontiac size on one side and chevy on the other.
The hardest part was modifying the shifter. I have a BM Quick silver which I thought was set up for 3 or 4 speed transmissions. I found out that the old ones where only 3 speed shifters and mine was well over 20 years old. Took a day to do, taking the sifter apart at least 100 times. Had to add notches to the plates for the 4th gear. Also had to modify it for a longer throw. Had to modify the revers light window in the plate.
I had to buy a 2 pole brake light switch and vacuum switch for the lock up.

I am waiting for the TV cable to come in before I can try it out. Right now it is behind a 500hp 462 but will be installing a stock 400 in a month or 2.

Old 12-29-2022, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Way cool!!!

The 10mm converter bolts can cause problems, IF you don't know you need the metric bolts.
Coarse thread 3/8" bolts have exactly the same thread pitch as a coarse thread 10mm. The 10mm is just a fuzz larger in diameter...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2022, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a Pontiac yoke that you could have used without changing the u-joint. I used the factory shifter with a Shift Works kit to convert it to 4 speed. Make sure you adjust the TV cable correctly (I used a transmission pressure gauge). It will determine whether your trans lives or dies. I had to drill out the flex plate holes for the converter bolts. If up graded correctly you will love the difference from the 3 speed. Mine has been in the car 20+ years behind a 600 hp engine with no problems.

Old 12-31-2022, 04:19 PM

I have a 87 Grand National 2004r Transmission Bop/Chev pattern and the GN TC , I was originally planning on running it with my 461 , but because I spray another 200hp, a decent stalled , lockup , balloon plated TC and the according transmission built would end up costing an arm and a leg.

I dont think I would break even with fuel economy with the very little mileage I do per year with the car. ( 2000 miles at most) So I decided to stay with my Jakes Performance Th400 and 3200 Continental and 3.08 gears to keep it happy on the highway

That said I am holding to ny 2004r, I like it'ssimplicity for an OD transmission, and it may end up in another of my projects.

Keep up posted on how you like it over the th400

Peter

Old 12-31-2022, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by besserspat View Post
I have a 87 Grand National 2004r Transmission Bop/Chev pattern and the GN TC , I was originally planning on running it with my 461 , but because I spray another 200hp, a decent stalled , lockup , balloon plated TC and the according transmission built would end up costing an arm and a leg.

I dont think I would break even with fuel economy with the very little mileage I do per year with the car. ( 2000 miles at most) So I decided to stay with my Jakes Performance Th400 and 3200 Continental and 3.08 gears to keep it happy on the highway

That said I am holding to ny 2004r, I like it'ssimplicity for an OD transmission, and it may end up in another of my projects.

Keep up posted on how you like it over the th400

Peter
Wise action here. I liked my 200-4R but if you don't drive enough to make the swap worth it...

Old 12-31-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
I am almost done with the 200r4 install. Just want to let those of you who are planning this what to expect
I bought the trans for $400 with converter. Spent $600 on a rebuilt kit that included shift kit and some hardened parts and bought a billet servo for $140. I built it myself. There are good videos on you tube that take you step by step. It's really not that hard.
The installation went smooth, the th400 came out and 200r4 went right in with the same trans mount and crossmember in about an hour. keep in mind this is a metric trans, had to order metric converter bolts. The TV cable that came on the trans was too short to reach the carb. Had to order a longer one. You need to buy an adaptor to attach the TV cable to the Holley. I had to modify the dip stick tube because it mounted to the chevy bolt pattern. I ordered a longer slip yoke because the drive shaft was a tad too short. Also had to buy special universal joint that has pontiac size on one side and chevy on the other.
The hardest part was modifying the shifter. I have a BM Quick silver which I thought was set up for 3 or 4 speed transmissions. I found out that the old ones where only 3 speed shifters and mine was well over 20 years old. Took a day to do, taking the sifter apart at least 100 times. Had to add notches to the plates for the 4th gear. Also had to modify it for a longer throw. Had to modify the revers light window in the plate.
I had to buy a 2 pole brake light switch and vacuum switch for the lock up.

I am waiting for the TV cable to come in before I can try it out. Right now it is behind a 500hp 462 but will be installing a stock 400 in a month or 2.
Let me know how it shifts wide open. Took some work to get mine correct.

Old 12-31-2022, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Took it for test ride last night. It works as it should. Have all 4 gears. Shifts at part throttle perfect. Down shifts as it should. Didn't make any full throttle trip down the road yet. The only thing is it shifts into second hard but not too harsh. I am thinking maybe I shouldn't have went with the billet servo. We will see how it shifts after I get some miles on it. I ordered a pressure test kit to check out the pressures. Mabey, I have the TV cable to tight.
I am using the stock converter that is supposed to stall at 1500-1600 and noticed it stalls about 2100 behind the 455. Cam is a little big for the stock converter 234/244 duration. I had a 10 converter that stalled at 3500 int the th400.
I was a little nervous after having the trans completely apart to rebuild it and install the shift kit.

Just wired up the lock up today. Will test it out tomorrow if it stops raining.

Now to decide what gear to replace the 3.73.

Old 12-31-2022, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Leave the 3.73 for the time being - my 71 really liked 3.55's

Old 01-01-2023, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My son had the 200-4R that's in my car built for his highly modified 1987 Turbo T . It was built by BowTie Overdrives and it has a 5 disc lockup converter. He raced it a year or 2 and then I swapped him my built T400 with manual valve body, switch pitch converter and Ultabell for his set up. He wanted to do more racing and I wanted to do more driving. We did both swaps in a weekend and both of us were happy. I have a Procharged 431 with 3.89 rear gears and I really wanted to do more highway driving. My engine temp went down 20 degrees and my mileage went from 6mpg on the highway to 15mpg. Even though it wasn't new BowTie Overdrives talked me through set up over the phone. That was 20 years ago and I couldn't be happier with the way it has worked. Good luck with yours.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2023, 04:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Only thing I really disliked about my 200-4R trans was having to drop the pan every time I adjusted the full throttle shift points on the governor. Was within 200 RPM of where I wanted it when I had enough of draining and dropping the pan, and figured that was good enough. Wish they had left the governor sticking out the side of the trans like the 400.

Old 01-01-2023, 10:49 AM

Just put a Stage Two 200R4 trans in my 68 Firebird. Engine is a 461 with "stump puller" cam and 3.36 gears in the rear. Also have a pressure gauge to help set it up. Any advice on setting it up for the street and some tnt runs? Thanks

Old 01-01-2023, 12:21 PM
Senior Chief

I put in a stage 2 2004R (Extreme Automatics) behind my 455 just over two years ago. Shifts very noticeably harder at aggressive throttle than my TH400 with TransGo shift kit, but I expected it to shift harder and better. Has the billet servo like you have, a similar duration cam, but a 9.5" 2500 stall. Actually caught me off guard how aggressive the shifting can be and got use to it right away with a big smile on my face. At moderate throttle it is much smoother.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Test was good and bad with the lock wired up. Was working great, got to 4th and locked up dropping rpms about 300 going 55mph. At 55mph, rpms with lock up was 1600 rpms (that with the 3.73 rear and 28" tall tires). Was shifting great. Kicked down perfectly. Got on it a little and felt good.
Now the bad, turned around in the driveway and notice a whining sound, didn't think much of it. Went for another ride, got almost to my driveway and lost all forward gears. It did try and move when I rev the engine but not enough to go anywhere. Got to the garage and no forward gears or reverse. Not even a lerch when put in gear. I did notice it was shifting softer before it failed. When I first started shifts where very firm.
Pulled trans thinking I broke a shaft. Took it apart and everything looks great. Clutches and steels are good. No metal in the oil maybe a light shimmer of metalic. No shafts broke. Took the pump apart and everything is good.
I am thinking the converter bit the dust. I put my old input shaft in the converter and have no resistance when I rotate it. It was the stock converter that came with the trans from the junk yard. I can't find anything in the trans that would stop it from moving.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Well crap!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 01-02-2023, 06:25 PM

Bummer

Old 01-02-2023, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the trans all cleaned and put back together everything check out in the trans. I cut open the converter just to prove my hunch. It was definitely the converter; the input tore off the stator. I never got it to full throttle. It was the stock junk yard converter. For all I know it could have been cracked.
I wired the lock up through a brake light switch and a vacuum switch. What I did notice is in 4th gear and converter locked up it would unlock when I let of the gas and lock up when I got back on the throttle. I might try and wire in a 10 sec delay on lock up,
Does anyone think the lock up caused this breakage?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	converter1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	604453   Click image for larger version

Name:	converter2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	604454  

Old 01-02-2023, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like the brakes light switch may not have functioned, as intended.
I used a stock type stop light switch on a lock-up TH350 I had in my first car.
It had 2 connections, their circuits were opposite. One circuit closed the switch when the brake pedal was pushed. The other circuit was used by the O.E. folks to open the circuit when brake pedal was pushed, to turn off the cruise control. Standard Motor Products part number SLS89.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 01-03-2023, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike - which car did you put this trans in?

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-03-2023, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put it in the 72 lemans streetcar.

Taking it from 11.70's back to a nice stock driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160331_174304.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	604478  

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike S For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
I put it in the 72 lemans streetcar.

Taking it from 11.70's back to a nice stock driver.
Looks nice!

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926