THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sipping coffee this morning watching youtube tire dressing reviews. That was so subjective it was really a waste of time
Funny watching one guy you a spray & you could see it landing all over the car. Stuff looked like vasoline & the guy said it was awesome. Just another one of those preference things I suppose.

I have always liked the look of Armour all to be honest, But I really wanted to get away form the gloss look on a vintage car that arrived in a time when tires dressing didn't exist. But on the flip side, I really like the look of a dark black tire.

When I first put the goodyear poly glass tires on, it got me thinking how nice a fresh set of tires look with nothing on them at all, But how quickly they get smudged up up and start to look brownish & dirty. I am going to see what I can find locally that was mention in this thread and give them a try.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 10-20-2019, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My favorite was Back to Black (was discontinued) and the rest appear to be GLOSSY. Gonna try Aersp 303 or what ever else is on the shelf.

Think i tried trans fluid on tires in the 80s and it was satin ;wipe on wipe off

Old 10-20-2019, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In recent years I have been cleaning the tires on our daily drivers with Super clean. It gives you the feeling the tires are crazy dirty because of the petroleum content I "believe" is getting pulled from the rubber by the grease cutting ability super clean has in its formula. I would speculate thats not good for the tires, but it sure does make them look pretty good prior to any treatment afterwords.

I don't know how damaging super clean might be to a tire because our daily drivers wear out the tries before the rubber ever breaks down & starts to crack, etc.

But, Super clean is one of my favorite shop cleaners & engine degreasers.

#sidetracking #derailingmyownthread.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 10-20-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
I have always liked the look of Armour all to be honest, But I really wanted to get away form the gloss look on a vintage car that arrived in a time when tires dressing didn't exist.
Armor All came out in 1972 and I remember using it not long after that. If you like it, it's not that far from the year of your car.

These days I usually use Simple Green to clean the tires, but back in the day I used Ajax powder and a small brush; it took a little extra effort over Simple Green but I think it did just as good a job of cleaning them and was probably less damaging to the rubber.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use ArmorAll.
Always have.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use CRC's Silicone in a spray can. It actually protects you tires from weather checking and cracking, and is great for all the other rubber parts too. The 2 brothers that were mechanics back home when I was a kid used it on all the rubber and tires on their customers cars. When ask why, they said what I just wrote in the second sentence.

I used to use Armor All, but after having to keep wiping off the dust it attracted I quit. I don't even have it in the house or garage anymore. I've got bottles and bottles of those tire cleaners and the ones that make your tires bright and shiny sitting on a shelf collecting dust.... soon to be chucked into the garbage. To me these days, they're a waste of money. And just a gimmick to take away your hard earned money.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't find ArmorAll to leave tires bright and shiny. Maybe people use to much.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
My favorite was Back to Black (was discontinued) and the rest appear to be GLOSSY. Gonna try Aersp 303 or what ever else is on the shelf.

Think i tried trans fluid on tires in the 80s and it was satin ;wipe on wipe off
The 303 will work fine, but is water soluble. ATF will eat rubber over time, like any oil will. I have used, at the recommendation of old timers and Gus Wilson of the Model Garage , brake fluid. It's good for the rubber and won't harm it. Also water soluble and don't get it on the paint or use very much of it. I had some stuff left over from the '90's that finally got used up that was like the Back to Black....left tires looking new, but not like Mop and Glo, and it even smelled good. Now, I just clean them with 409 or Absolutely Awsome and run them naked.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mecum uses only the 303 products for their auctions. I bought some and like how it looks/works.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 10-21-2019, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
The 303 will work fine, but is water soluble. ATF will eat rubber over time, like any oil will. I have used, at the recommendation of old timers and Gus Wilson of the Model Garage , brake fluid. It's good for the rubber and won't harm it. Also water soluble and don't get it on the paint or use very much of it. I had some stuff left over from the '90's that finally got used up that was like the Back to Black....left tires looking new, but not like Mop and Glo, and it even smelled good. Now, I just clean them with 409 or Absolutely Awsome and run them naked.
Before there was tire dressing I used brake fluid on a rag for years...…...

If you have white lettering you have to be careful because it will transfer black onto the white if you overlap the rag onto the white lettering. The only time I ever had white lettering showing is if I bought a car with letters out, otherwise I always mounted black out.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-21-2019, 05:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Zaino makes a tire dressing that has perfect sheen....not to shiny or too dull.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I love the 303 protectant and keep it around at all times... but I don't use it on tires. I use it for all vinyl but on tires I actually use 'No Touch' tire cleaner. I leaves a very natural looking new tire glaze...not that shiny wet look.
Cleans at the same time it shines. Just spray it on. No need to wipe it at all. When I wash my daily drivers, I don't even wash the tires. Just spray this on and I'm done. I think they make a 'gloss finish' but I only see and use the one labeled 'Original Satin Finish'.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 10-22-2019 at 01:27 AM.