Old 10-20-2019, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not familiar with that brand.

Are you in California ?
A lot of heavier compliance restrictions on automotive paint there.
New names and brands and product lines popping up all the time to battle with OSHA and EPA .
And a lot of price competition too.

I mainly stick with Sikkens and Glasurit topcoats on high end jobs.
Doesn't mean any of the others are not good.
And economy lines suit their purpose in some cases.

Maybe go into that paint store and ask what are their most premium clears.
The top sellers today are based more on cost savings.
They may not stock actual premium brands, but have offerings from economy lines that promise to be equal to known brands.
Sort of like in the grocery store.

I just wouldn't want my new paint on a really nice car to be of the lower to middling in price range , because thats about all you get in the end when it comes across the counter.
What you paid for.

If someone were trying to save me $300 by using a lesser product - i would try to come up with the other $300 somehow.
Especially on a Black Car.
Black can be the most troublesome and the first to show bad signs down the road.
Premium topcoats will get you past that and more insurance for a longer run.

If you smear out a few drops of the Black on some white paper stock and see any hints of browns or thin pigment, don't use that.

I wouldn't necessarily ask a painter to use something he has never used before either. Unless it became completely necessary.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah I don’t want to question what he’s using either. I know he wants it to come out nice and I don’t even know for sure if he’s using that on mine.
I just recall him saying 4-5 coats is the plan. He also mentioned he wanted to stick with same brands he’s been using for prep.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not a painter, just a long time old car guy. To me, a BC/CC paint job does not look correct on these cars. They end up looking like they were Mop and Glowed, or like a glazed ham. They lack the rich luster of a single stage job. I have also never seen a BC/CC car last more than 15 years before the clear coat starts to peel like sunburn. Single stage cars can be polished back to a shine if the paint weathers. I have two single stage GTO's, one with 34 year old paint, and the other with 26 year old paint, and both still look nice. The one GTO I had painted BC/CC ended up shedding the clear coat after 10 years. I have a friend who had his GTO painted BC/CC at the painters recommendations. I told him to go single stage. It came out great, but is super glossy. He has regretted it ever since, and wishes he had gone single stage. Just my experience. The OP will do what he sees fit.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How is the car coming along?

I have been reading your other threads, just curious overall where you are at.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 09-06-2020, 11:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I brought it home a few mos to save cash. It needs another round of block sanding then should be ready for paint.
I’ve been running it every other day because it was smoking from sitting. Now it’s running clean and sounds good. When the motor was out to replace the pan gasket and rear main seal I had the flywheel resurfaced and put in a new clutch.
My goal is painted, new exhaust and vinyl top by March.