Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 08-13-2009, 11:27 AM

Default Removing the dash from a 71 lemans

Could someone help me with the steps to remove the dash from my lemans? I do not want to damge anything so i need to know what comes off 1st, 2nd 3rd etc. So everything comes out easy.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pat Brown (PB here on the board) posted this a while back. I plan on using it soon.

Quote:
Here is a step by step process to remove your dash I typed up a while back. You can view the thread here:

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...hlight=72+dash

Step 1 - Drop your lower AC ducts if you have them. I believe it's 3 phillips screws on the pass side. Other half should just pull off with main duct.

Step 2 - On each side of the dash on the underneath lower half, there is a bolt to unscrew. Remove these.

Step 3 - Open glove box, remove phillips screws, removing glove box door and inside box.

Step 4 - Look up, inside where you just removed the glove box and there are 3 or 4 studs with speed nuts on them, loosen those...you don't have to remove as it is slotted and will slide out of position when loosened.

Step 5 - Remove 4 nuts from the back side of the AC/heater controls that holds it to the dash. Remove radio first if one is there to access this panel. Top nuts can be a bi*ch. Remove unit as a whole so you don't have to unplugg any of the vacuum lines.

Step 6 - Remove phillips screws inside the 3 instument pods. Use stubby phillips screwdriver.

Step 7 - Reach up and push the tab on the top side of the speedometer cable where it attaches to the cluster and remove speedo cable from the instrument cluster.

Step 8 - Remove lower dash panel surround (around ash tray)

Step 9 - Remove radio knobs and you need to pull out the head light knob too. Don't yank it! There is a little button you need to push from the back side to release the knob. You probably won't be able to see it, but you will just have to feel around for it. Push it in and it will release the knob. Unplug cigarette lighter wire.

Step 10 - Remove two nuts on either side of the steering column and lower column. Let wheel rest on seat if seat is installed, if no seat get something to support column, it won't reach floor boards.

I am doing this from memory, so hopefully I haven't forgotten something, but now you are ready to pull dash away from the firewall. When you pull away, it will still be attached by the wiring harness. Pull the top of the dash away and remove nuts on top that attach to the instrument cluster.

You should have everything free to remove the dash.

Hope this helps, good luck.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to SteveGB21
Default Check this link.

Check the link below. It really helped me about a year and a half ago when I did the dash on my '70 LeMans.

http://www.justdashes.com/PontiacPerf.htm

Old 09-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Updated with sizes....

Quote:
Here is a step by step process to remove your dash I typed up a while back. You can view the thread here:

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...hlight=72+dash

Step 1 - Drop your lower AC ducts if you have them. I believe it's 3 phillips screws on the pass side. Other half should just pull off with main duct.

Step 2 - On each side of the dash on the underneath lower half, there is a bolt to unscrew. Remove these. 1/2" socket

Step 3 - Open glove box, remove phillips screws, removing glove box door and inside box.

Step 4 - Look up, inside where you just removed the glove box and there are 3 studs with 3/8" speed nuts on them, loosen those...you don't have to remove as it is slotted and will slide out of position when loosened.

Step 5 - Remove 4 - 3/8" nuts from the back side of the AC/heater controls that holds it to the dash. Remove radio first if one is there to access this panel - 5/8" socket for shaft nuts. Top nuts can be a bi*ch. Remove unit as a whole so you don't have to unplugg any of the vacuum lines.

Step 6 - Remove phillips screws inside the 3 instument pods. Use stubby phillips screwdriver.

Step 7 - Reach up and push the tab on the top side of the speedometer cable where it attaches to the cluster and remove speedo cable from the instrument cluster.

Step 8 - Remove lower dash panel surround (around ash tray) 4 - 5/16" screws

Step 9 - Remove radio knobs and you need to pull out the head light knob too. Don't yank it! There is a little button you need to push from the back side to release the knob. You probably won't be able to see it, but you will just have to feel around for it. Push it in and it will release the knob. Unplug cigarette lighter wire.

Step 10 - Remove two 5/8" nuts on either side of the steering column and lower column. Let wheel rest on seat if seat is installed, if no seat get something to support column, it won't reach floor boards. Remove 2 - 1/2" bolts on either side of the the column at the base of the dash.

I am doing this from memory, so hopefully I haven't forgotten something, but now you are ready to pull dash away from the firewall. When you pull away, it will still be attached by the wiring harness. Pull the top of the dash away and remove nuts on top that attach to the instrument cluster.

You should have everything free to remove the dash.

Hope this helps, good luck.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978