Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 01-09-2017, 07:56 PM

Default painting windlace

I bought windlace for my 66 Lemans from NPD. The color was close to my parchment interior but not close enough so I sprayed it with Krylon Satin Almond. The color is close enough but the problem is that it will not dry completely. I tried Rustoleam with the same result. The windlace is sticky to the touch

Old 01-09-2017, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Both of those brands do that. Especially Rustoleum. It will eventually dry. If not wipe it off and use Duplicolor.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dunno, I've had ones that never dried. I had to strip and clean them several times, make sure it was not sticky anymore, and start over with SEM products. That was a live & learn thing for me, and now I only use SEM stuff. (and follow directions to a T)

I've seen the same thing happen to steering wheels, and once they become sticky, it never goes away. Not sure the windlace will do the same, but I hope not for your sake.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-10-2017, 05:19 PM

Any body know what Duplicolor color matches parchment

Old 01-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
start over with SEM products. That was a live & learn thing for me, and now I only use SEM stuff. (and follow directions to a T).
Trust me....take this advice. ^^
Find an autobody supply house and you can buy it in aerosol cans right off the shelf. Clean them thoroughly, use an adhesion promoter (primer) made for the product and spray.
If you don't have a store near you, you can order here-
http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-...Coat-Aerosols/

Old 01-12-2017, 05:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

SEM parchment,i think they have a couple different shades. Then a very light mist coat of the Parchment sold by Ames. The mist coat will give the SEM a bit of the 'pearl' or 'metallic' look that these interiors had.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Senior Chief

Wow, I had the exact same problem when I painted my windlace a few years ago. I think I also used the Krylon Satin Almond. It stayed tacky. I ended up removing the paint and started over. I'm pretty sure I ended up using NPD's parchment spray paint.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, ihad the exact same "never dry experience when painted a .....dashpad (non-SEM rattlecan)

After a week+ the painted dashpad was a tacky mess. Stripped easily and used the dashpad unpainted. Looks darn good for a formerly painted dashpad

I used the SEM for a 70' Dashpad, seat-belts and other such interior with excellent results.