Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 02-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 62 big car interior door panel rails?

Hey all,

I'm talking about the metal strip that the top of the door panels attach to that hangs the door panels to the door here. I've been searching for a decent pair to use on some new door panels I have, but haven't had any luck until just now. A buddy pointed me to this site that supplies interior parts for chevy's. Would any of you know if the upper door rails shown there are the same for our old Pontiacs? They also offer replacement "nails" that attach to the door panels that fasten the panels to the door. Are those the right ones also? I would think they're the right parts since the doors are basically the same aside from the exterior skins. Been looking for this for a while. I hope one of you can tell me. Here's the link. You'll have to scroll down a bit to get to the upper door panel rails. There's some other interesting stuff there too.

http://www.ciadellainteriors.com/products.php?id=2006

Thanks,

Kevin

Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi, Kevin:

62 Chev Impala top rails are same as Pontiac, Olds, Buick etc.

I'm where you are now with my 62 Catalina. Decided not to use the nails as the old ones were in terrible shape on my doors as were the plastic deals that the nails pushed in to..

I'm going with velcro at the leading and rear edge of the doors. I have the velcro on the door panels but have not put stuck it on the door shells yet because I have had the panels off and on at least a dozen times as I had to cut all my holes for the door, window and vent cranks. When I think I've finally have everything fit where I want it I will add the velcro to the newly painted door shells. As you know there are 4 trim screws along the bottom of the door panel o that will take care of that area.

Velcro may pi_ _ off the purists out there, but it was recommended to me by guy who made and installed my seat covers and that was the same guy who does Tieman's work up in Grand Rapids, MI. Good enough for Tieman, sould be good enough for me.

Jerry

Old 03-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jerry,

Thanks for the heads up on the top door rails. They were my main concern. I've been looking for some old door panels to swap stuff over with, but just had no luck. I have the hardware from my original door panels, but I want to keep them as they are for spares or another car, so this is the best way to go.

I've also heard about using velcro rather than the original fasteners. That is definitely an option and I don't see anything wrong with that. This project is a little down the road for me, but I'm working on getting everything together so when the time comes, I can just git 'er done instead of spinning my wheels when I get around to it.

I appreciate your advice and thanks again!

Kevin