Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-20-2019, 04:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
NAPSTER,
You mention formula involved to help determine your power. With no specifics mentioned did it involve cylinder head flow as tested on a flow bench or the total intake-system air flow as delivered at the valve.

Note my comments within post #15 and #56 in this thread that might relate:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...low+Research**

Steve,

The formula you have in post #15 is the formula I used.

I just want to make things clear that I'm the one who insisted on this cam. My engine builder wanted to go one cam up. The cam he wanted would have added 6 degrees on the intake and exhaust. 248/254. Most likely it would of made the number if that cam was used.

Also, This engine only had 10 pulls. The valves and rings are not seated and once it gets 500 miles it will get more power. The jets in the carb were not changed during the dyno session. I realize some dyno sessions get 30 to 40 pulls. Comparing dyno results from 10 pulls to 30 or 40 pulls is not on the same ball park.

More to come.

Jim

Old 10-20-2019, 04:58 PM

�� Sorry - hijack alert

Last edited by TheGrudge; 10-20-2019 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Total hijack, pm sent to Pastry Chef
Old 10-20-2019, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have to correct something I mentioned before. The numbers are corrected. The best numbers from the dyno session were at 35 degrees. HP 519 @ 5200 rpm and Torque 578 @ 4200. The following attachment is the dyno sheet I could get hold of, but it is at 36 degrees of timmimg. It will be suitable for discussion purposes.

The intended use of the engine is for street only. It will not be raced. Cliff is right on with his comments. I may have the cam changed at some point if I feel it is necessary. It would have been nice if I listened to my engine builder in the first place, but this is the only time I haven't. I will live with my decision for awhile. We will see what happens when it is in the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1020191532.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	522547   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG955736_5.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	522548  

Old 10-20-2019, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From JE pistons, How to Break-In Your Piston Rings......

With today’s rings, especially moly-faced versions, this can be achieved in a very short period of time and certainly within 20 to 30 miles of street driving. In WOT dyno testing, likely the rings are seated by the end of the first few runs.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 10-20-2019, 05:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

“The intended use of the engine is for street only. It will not be raced.”

I would be thrilled to death with that engine. I bet half the folks on this forum ‘wish’ they would have went with a different cam in their build with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight (... as I raise my own hand ...)

But for fun on the street in the weekender / cruise night / better-than-paying-a-therapist car, it would be hard to beat your 496.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
“The intended use of the engine is for street only. It will not be raced.”

I would be thrilled to death with that engine. I bet half the folks on this forum ‘wish’ they would have went with a different cam in their build with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight (... as I raise my own hand ...)

But for fun on the street in the weekender / cruise night / better-than-paying-a-therapist car, it would be hard to beat your 496.
Couldn't agree more. A lot of people on this forum race. Not me.

This engine fits in between my '70 t/a 433 CID with 447 HP and 535 TQ thru RA IV Manifolds and my '70 GTO with a 461 stroker with 600 HP anf 625 TQ. Both engines built by the builder of this engine.

The engine is going into a '73 brewster green TA. Getting converted to a six speed tremec t-56 and 3.73's out back. Original numbers matching 455 and turbo 400 are going ito storage.

Last edited by napster; 10-20-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the vacuum at idle? What was your Hp goal? It does seem that the motor should make more than 519 Hp with that size ci/cam.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks to everyone who responded. Specific advice will be used in the future.

Jim

Old 01-05-2020, 02:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Smile Additional Information

Update to the previous porting done to the Super Duty heads #16. It seems the porting done before I bought the heads was worst than I thought. According to my engine builder too much material was removed from the bowl area. Since he can’t add material, I have to live with it. The missing material is adversely affecting air flow.

I’m not as knowledgeable like many of you guys, but would a bigger cam really get me more power with this extra information?

As a side note, I was watching an episode of Engine Power. Pat Topolinski indicated a rule of thumb for horsepower is you should make 2 HP per CFM of airflow. The heads were bench flowed and got 260 CFM. Easy math means 520 HP. The engine did 519.4. I’m just saying……….

Old 01-05-2020, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a "rule of thumb" type deal, but yes. Addressed in post 13...

Old 01-05-2020, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by napster View Post
Update to the previous porting done to the Super Duty heads #16. It seems the porting done before I bought the heads was worst than I thought. According to my engine builder too much material was removed from the bowl area. Since he can’t add material, I have to live with it. The missing material is adversely affecting air flow.

I’m not as knowledgeable like many of you guys, but would a bigger cam really get me more power with this extra information?

As a side note, I was watching an episode of Engine Power. Pat Topolinski indicated a rule of thumb for horsepower is you should make 2 HP per CFM of airflow. The heads were bench flowed and got 260 CFM. Easy math means 520 HP. The engine did 519.4. I’m just saying……….
Jim,
I don't know what you got for pistons but if your disappointed with the results maybe you could upgrade the top end @ some point with some E-heads and a 248/254 cam as mentioned.
Awhile back I did a 462 build with 64 heads as I recall flowed around 240 to 250 cfm and made about 546 hp.
Many years later still prowling the streets.
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=633706

Last edited by shaker455; 01-05-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Coming from the guy who got accused (like others) of having SD do their iron heads and claiming them as there own, well, why you bringing this up ?

I said what I said because I have more than just a little bit of experience running that style of head on pump gas and a 455.
His cam is puny. Put a real cam and single plane on it and it will make real good power.
My HOs "might" go 260-265cfm. SD heads are a better head than HOs.Ports are the best PMD ever did. My 455 is junk, TRWs and only 9.3 CR.(10.84) He has better heads, higher CR, better internals and over 1/4" more stroke. It should RIP.
If I put my cam, intake and carb on that thing it makes 600. But it would be more race.
Change the cam, Northwind and he will be happy.
Ummm, dick head, I’ve never had SD or anyone else port a set of heads for me. I have had port development assistance from guys like Darin Morgan and the late Joe Mondello. Maybe you should call Dave and ask him if he’s ever ported heads for me. My 275CFM D-Port heads are hand ported as the core shift is just to much to CNC, ask me how I know.

Like I said in my original post, picking up 30cfm to 35cfm is a large gain.

Carry on.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 01-05-2020, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO View Post
Ummm, dick head, I’ve never had SD or anyone else port a set of heads for me. I have had port development assistance from guys like Darin Morgan and the late Joe Mondello. Maybe you should call Dave and ask him if he’s ever ported heads for me. My 275CFM D-Port heads are hand ported as the core shift is just to much to CNC, ask me how I know.

Like I said in my original post, picking up 30cfm to 35cfm is a large gain.

Carry on.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
You might not want to bring up Mondello and how all that went down. I feel sorry for Mrs Mondello and what she got put through.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You might not want to bring up Mondello and how all that went down. I feel sorry for Mrs Mondello and what she got put through.
Don’t distract.

Since you brought up SD doing heads for me, you are saying here in an open forum this is true? Did Dave tell you that?

You know nothing about Mondello’s.

You are also bad for the Pontiac community always spouting off opinions and misinformation without first hand knowledge of any of it.

How many sets of heads have you ported?

One last thing, when your parts and engine build were being held hostage in WI and you’ve were looking for help, that’s right I offered assistance, GFY.

You are nothing but a tool bag.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

p.s. how’s that bad ass build coming along?

Old 01-05-2020, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At any point does DargonDouche get a vacation for spreading fertilizer all over this Website?

This is almost the same made up story just change the "accused" name.

It's a detriment to this Website.

Last edited by PAUL K; 01-05-2020 at 07:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PAUL K For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2020, 07:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Angry

Enough with this GARBAGE! Take your arguments to the clubhouse where they belong. Stop screwing up my thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2020, 08:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by napster View Post
Enough with this GARBAGE! Take your arguments to the clubhouse where they belong. Stop screwing up my thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny you mention the clubhouse... Dcar started a post there, got his ass kicked and stopped responding...
I see he's here spewing his bull****...

Old 01-05-2020, 08:45 PM
Suspended

Quote:
I have a lot of insight to that deal, what the hell do you know? Better yet, what is your skewed 3rd hand version of it?

Old 01-05-2020, 08:56 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueghoast View Post
I would listen to Cliff. The man knows his stuff.

GT.
He knows low rpm tractor engines... I agree there

Old 01-05-2020, 09:06 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Coming from the guy who got accused (like others) of having SD do their iron heads and claiming them as there own, well, why you bringing this up ?

I said what I said because I have more than just a little bit of experience running that style of head on pump gas and a 455.
His cam is puny. Put a real cam and single plane on it and it will make real good power.
My HOs "might" go 260-265cfm. SD heads are a better head than HOs.Ports are the best PMD ever did. My 455 is junk, TRWs and only 9.3 CR.(10.84) He has better heads, higher CR, better internals and over 1/4" more stroke. It should RIP.
If I put my cam, intake and carb on that thing it makes 600. But it would be more race.
Change the cam, Northwind and he will be happy.
You seem to like SD's iron heads....
Do you know where they got that "big cfm" port you love so much?
Did they developed it or Xerox it from another one of your heroes? I know the answer to that question...do you?