THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Lost a good friend from childhood.

Lost a good friend from childhood,Jimmy Schimpf.There were 4 of us,same age,grew up together. Jimmy,Dave,Kevin,and myself.Spent alot ,I mean alot of time at Jimmy's home. His father was a gynecologist. They lived near the Loyalhanna creek,across from the Rolling Rock Brewery,lots of woods. We had a tree house club,with a 'cable way trolley' to get into tree house. We ate in there,had dues. Learned to shoot bow and arrow,swim,gas airplanes,working on bikes at his house. I remember using his record player to count how many times, 'tiger' is said for the Hurst 65 GTO giveaway.Figuring his player was better than mine. Jim was the intellectual of all of us. He graduated from St Vincent with a degree in physics,got a masters in physics. Jim was quiet,red hair. We all were 6'2".maybe getting our 'vitamins ' playing in the creek.He was living locally.We'll miss him. Just thought I'd share,besides brings back 'a ton' of good memories listing this.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:40 AM
Senior Chief

Sorry for your loss of a childhood friend.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry you lost a friend. But glad you have the good memories.

I helped several guys get started in drag racing. Let 'em help me build the cars, taught 'em everything I'd learned about it, and spent lots of weekends racing with 'em. 3 of those guys are now gone, all younger than me.

I went with TJ to a small gathering of her former high school classmates. They mentioned all their other classmates who are gone. There are quite a few.

As we get into the later years of life, the reality of death becomes increasingly more apparent. For some, it is a VERY frightening thought. I suppose that, for many, it's the fear of the unknown. They don't know what the "afterlife" will be like, or even if there IS another life after this one.

One thing is for certain, most of us will probably die, at some point, some sooner than others. So, it's up to every person whether they make any preparations for an afterlife, or not. For those who think there is no God, it's ridiculous to even consider that there is an afterlife, with a Heaven & a Hell. Only thing wrong with that position is: What if they're wrong ? AFTER death, it's too late to change your mind. Gotta make your afterlife plans while you're still alive on earth.

I've made mine. How about ya'll ?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...0&version=AMPC

Old 10-20-2019, 11:28 AM

sorry for your loss Bob.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 10-20-2019, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for your loss. I have also outlived most of my childhood friends.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 10-20-2019, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob, my condolences. I have one surviving close childhood friend(there were three of us who grew up together). Greg and I live about 20 miles apart and talk to each other regularly. We lost Jimmy in 1982; he was 19 and the first volunteer fireman killed in the line of duty in Indiana in nearly 30 years.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-21-2019, 05:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you all. Jim was always happy never did I see him mad. His intelligence wasnt overbearing. He had commonsense which seemed unique to me.one last story. We all had gas powered line controlled air planes. My P40 didnt fly well. He had a smaller lighter plane,cant remember what. He had the idea of landing planes on a smooth service. He made a piece of plywood that fit on top of his wagon. I would lay on the grass beside the wagon and tell him when he was over the plywood which had an arrestor cable. It worked. Yes we are all one day going to pass on. We believe in a supreme being. I feel sometimes a protective 'hand' and a great feeling everything will turn out for the better.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:47 PM
Suspended

That's a real nice place.. Sorry for your loss..

I'm in my sixties and lost most of the people I grew up with from drug addiction...

Old 10-21-2019, 03:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry to hear this as it appears he meant a lot to you. I lost touch with my childhood friends a long time ago but remain in contact with most of my pals from junior high/high school. Lost a very close one earlier this year. It came as no surprise - alcohol had pretty much claimed him years ago but what I remember are the good times we had growing up. We were garage band-mates through high school and he's the one who got me into Pontiacs. Fast cars, loud guitars and all that went with 'em - times I'll never forget. It's good to have those memories.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you all. Yes the 4 of us were close. Like Dave said Sunday after church now there are 3. Dave was the wild child,had a Whizzer motor bike. Worked at a BSA cycle shop. Later had a 500 cc BSA single,also an Areil(spl).he worked there after owners passing,Skip,he turned into car repair business.he retired from there about 2yrs ago,successfully.He has some old Fords and Chevies,had a1960 Pontiac. He received an award from President Kennedy for saving a drowning friend.Kevin was the football player, an Air Force vet,moved to Atlanta for work.only see him at reunions. We were close,had a lot of really good times,sports, hobbies, dances,girls. It's a good feeling to remember. Again thank you all for allowing me to share. Yes some times I get emotional even at 71.