Old 03-23-2020, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rear disc brake question

This thread may need to be moved.

Anyway, if one side, particularly drivers inside pad wear much faster than the outer pad and the passenger side pads.

Not a Pontiac but a 20 year old Nissan but I figured the the problem would be universal for disc brakes.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

check the pistons for corrosion they may not be retracting all the way and make sure the pads slide freely. My truck had a pad that wasn't moving away from the rotor due to rust on the slide area.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Everything appears to be okay, the Pistons are the style that have to be "screwed" with a spanner tool instead of compressing to get the full travel.

Both sides seemed to have the same resistance when compressing.

Only vehicle I have ever owned with this setup but I will look again to see if any corrosion is visible.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2020, 11:27 AM
Senior Chief

Halfway - my wife's Altima had the same issue. It turned out that one of the boots on the slider pins deteriorated, and the pin itself started to corrode after moisture got to it. This affected the caliper's ability to easily slide on the pins when the brakes were applied. I replaced all boots and pins, and lubed the new pins with Permatex disk caliper lube (the green stuff). Been working like a champ ever since ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zzz.png
Views:	90
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	535229  

Old 03-24-2020, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, I will definitely take a look at at the pins and boots.