THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:20 PM

Default Suggestions for a Teen's first car

My two kids are about to start driving. Let's put this out there first; I own a bunch of cars. My son has a permit, and has picked out the car he wants to drive. He has been repairing a 2000 Cadillac Deville. It is a car I bought from my uncle that was slated for the scrap yard because of oil leaking from the Northstar engine . I planned to pull parts off it and scrap it myself. My son decided to try and save it.

My daughter, on the other hand, has no interest in the vehicles we already have. She doesn't get her permit for a little over a year. I was thinking of trading off some of the old vehicles we no longer want or use for something reliable for her. I have a year to look around, and check Craigslist daily.

I am looking for something that is safe and reliable, while meeting the look she desires. I'm thinking the value should be around $6500, preferably much less, depending on my vehicle's trade value. My daughter likes the looks of the pre-eighties Firebird and Corvette. She likes the looks of the "wing" Daytona cars, as well as "full size" 60's and older cars. She likes the looks of the modern Charger RT, 2010 and newer Camaro, and four door Wrangler. She also likes the looks of 2500 size trucks.

One of our cars is a 97 Mustang GT. My daughter is a big girl, and does not feel comfortable in it. She has no interest in Mustangs, 80's/90's Camaros, 80's/90's corvettes, Humvees or two door jeep wranglers.

With that said, I am open to vehicle model suggestions, dealer suggestions and web site suggestions. We live in NJ. We are open to any engine size, as long as it considered a reliable engine in general (consumer maintenance aside). I don't want her to end up with an engine model known to break down, leak, or throw codes. I am willing to teach her to use a clutch as well. It seems she prefers the muscular, aggressive, larger vehicles.

Thanks in advance.

Luke

Old 03-21-2020, 02:34 PM
PY VIP

This topic has come up before and I recommend a 2002 or newer G-Body front-drive Buick LeSabre, Park Avenue, Ultra or a Pontiac Bonneville. The reasons are a nearly bulletproof drivetrain, front-wheel drive and the unibody structure is very strong. It will hold up in an accident better than most modern cars out there.

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 03-21-2020, 02:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would look at a newer charger or 300 for her- they have proven to be very reliable for us, are somewhat muscular and very comfortable

Old 03-21-2020, 02:38 PM

I would suggest a front wheel drive car because of the weather you get over that way.
Any GM product with the 3800 Buick V-6 will run for ever!
Just me 2 cents.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Keefe View Post
This topic has come up before and I recommend a 2002 or newer G-Body front-drive Buick LeSabre, Park Avenue, Ultra or a Pontiac Bonneville. The reasons are a nearly bulletproof drivetrain, front-wheel drive and the unibody structure is very strong. It will hold up in an accident better than most modern cars out there.
I believe the LeSabre and Bonneville are H-bodies and the Park Ave. and Ultra are C-bodies. Regardless if it has a 3800 Series II V6 (RPO L36) and received regular oil changes it should run worry free and get good fuel economy. Just a heads up, depending on the model year the supercharged version (RPO L67) required premium fuel (91+octane). And if run hard using regular fuel you can damage the piston tops.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

very similar question, just last month..

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=837135

Old 03-21-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
very similar question, just last month..

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=837135
Similar, but not the same. I am specifically asking for cars that would appeal to my daughter based on the types of cars I described, but yet still be suitable, reliable, and safe for a new driver. Most of the cars mentioned on that page are not what my daughter is interested in.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GiPper View Post
I believe the LeSabre and Bonneville are H-bodies and the Park Ave. and Ultra are C-bodies. Regardless if it has a 3800 Series II V6 (RPO L36) and received regular oil changes it should run worry free and get good fuel economy. Just a heads up, depending on the model year the supercharged version (RPO L67) required premium fuel (91+octane). And if run hard using regular fuel you can damage the piston tops.
I have heard that the 3800 series is a great engine. I don't know all the vehicles that came with that engine, but most of the ones I have seen were a bit dull looking, and do not appeal to her.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
I would look at a newer charger or 300 for her- they have proven to be very reliable for us, are somewhat muscular and very comfortable
I have not showed her a 300, but I bet she might like one. I'll have to check the average selling prices. I like the idea of the AWD option on the Chargers. Someone did say to keep the NJ winters in mind.

Are there any engine options for the Charger and 300 that I should avoid?

Old 03-21-2020, 06:12 PM
Senior Chief

Something big and under powered.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would think the 2500 Silverado would be safe, but is going to suck gas

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
The Following User Says Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 11:10 AM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GiPper View Post
When I was at the 2000 Bonneville media launch in 1999, they referred to it as G-body, related to the Buick Park Avenue and Riviera. I know that there is some confusion about that, as the 1986-99 C, G, K and H platforms were consolidated to the G-body in 2000. It may be labeled as an H but those designations were nothing more than legacies at that point. The cutaway car chassis they showed us was labeled as a G-body. G-body? H-body? You make the call! ;-)

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

Last edited by Don Keefe; 03-22-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:11 PM
Senior Chief

Just picked up a mint 2012 Ford Escape Limited (4 cyl, 2.5L) with 84,000 miles for my 17-year-old daughter to learn on and drive. My 15-year-old son will also learn on this truck (after the girl destroys it).

Seems like a decent enough truck for a pair of teens to learn on and beat up...

Old 03-24-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj71 View Post
Just picked up a mint 2012 Ford Escape Limited (4 cyl, 2.5L) with 84,000 miles for my 17-year-old daughter to learn on and drive. My 15-year-old son will also learn on this truck (after the girl destroys it).

Seems like a decent enough truck for a pair of teens to learn on and beat up...
X2 on the Escape. I have a 2009 4 cylinder Escape about to turn 200K miles. Routine maintenance is all it needed. And, it’s a bit underpowered with the 4 banger but gets the job done. I’d buy another 2012 if I could find a good one.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My last three company cars have been Chrysler 300s. I have put about 125,000 on each one. I wouldn't have anything else. I am 6'3" inches and a big boy it is comfortable It is a V6 and I think it would out run my stock pontiac 400.

They are rear wheel drive but I have never been stuck in snow. When my son was 16-18 I couldn't keep him out of it.

As you can tell I like them and they get about 34 miles to the gallon on the road and high 20s in town.

Good luck in your search.

Greg

Old 03-24-2020, 09:30 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69hardtop View Post
X2 on the Escape. I have a 2009 4 cylinder Escape about to turn 200K miles. Routine maintenance is all it needed. And, it’s a bit underpowered with the 4 banger but gets the job done. I’d buy another 2012 if I could find a good one.
Underpowered was my goal. At 170hp, it's more than enough for the teens.
Hard to find good, low-mileage examples anymore, so I jumped on this one with 84k.

I see many of them listed at 150k to 200k mileage here in Tampa, so that suggests they are built to last.

It's the right size, easy to drive, lots of glass area for seeing out, airbags, bluetooth (somewhat primitive), good on gas...and affordable. Got this one for $7000.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Corvettes, Firebirds, winged Mopars, and 60's muscle cars, your daughter has rich tastes! After raising three kids and putting them in cars, those are not what I'd buy a novice driver. With young drivers after three years, what ever you put them in is gonna probably be junk.

If I was doing it over it would be something cheap, easy to work on, and safe.
Thinking Ford Vic's, Yukon, Deneli, half ton pickups etc.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIV55 View Post
Corvettes, Firebirds, winged Mopars, and 60's muscle cars, your daughter has rich tastes! After raising three kids and putting them in cars, those are not what I'd buy a novice driver. With young drivers after three years, what ever you put them in is gonna probably be junk.

If I was doing it over it would be something cheap, easy to work on, and safe.
Thinking Ford Vic's, Yukon, Deneli, half ton pickups etc.

She does have good tastes. I could probably afford a late 70s to early 80s corvette, but that wouldn't be safe, reliable, or comfortable for that matter . I listed her likes to help get suggestions on vehicles based on her tastes. I'm not going to buy a car she isn't interested in, when I already own vehicles she isn't interested in. I could just fix up something I already have, if that were the case. The truth is, she'll probably end up with something I already own. The idea was to get suggestions on reliable, safe cars that she might be interested in based on the list of her likes and dislikes, then possibly trade one of the vehicles I already have for it.

I have been checking out the modern Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger on Craigslist. I could show her a Crown Vic and see if she is interested.

Luke

Old 03-25-2020, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have a specific model in mind; however:

(1) Spend some quality time with your daughter scanning pictures of cars on the internet. Always nice to spend quality time with children; AND you will make points with your daughter because you are asking for HER opinion. Ask her to come up with a list of 4 or 5 in which she might be interested.

(2) Once she has come up with such a list, make an appointment with your friendly car insurance agent; to determine if any or all are on the "cannot insure until you are 18" list.

And I am probably in a minority of one, but (assuming she likes it) I would look for something rear wheel drive; or if it has front wheel drive, then it would be all wheel drive. Front wheel drive is easier for a novice to get moving on slick roads, but MUCH more likely with virtually any driver to slide off of slick roads. The ratio of fwd:rwd is now so skewed that the todays statistics would be meaningless; but when the ratio was maybe 50:50 one could drive down a slick highway and 90 percent of the cars off the road were front wheel drive.

But most important, use the opportunity as a father/daughter bonding time.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.