Old 10-05-2020, 01:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm going to have the 3", Borla Pro XS on my setup soon. I'll report back as these don't get as much attention but they make the most power with a slightly lower decibel sound.

11.7:1, KRE H Ports, Lunati HR 282/290 w Johnson Lifters & 1.65 Scorp, E30, EFI, Holley HP + Dual Sync, 12-1 Crank Trig, 120lb Inj & 1000cfm TB, Torker II EFI Intake & Rails, PTC 10" 0 Stat, Ricks Hot Rod SS Gas Tank, Magna 4303, Aerom EFI Reg, Aerospace Front & Rear Disc Brakes, Dougs 1 7/8" Headers & Borla Pro XS 3" Muffs, Alum Rad & Dual Fans, Powersteering.com Pump & 12:1 Box, QA1 Front Arms & Viking Berz CO + Rear Shocks, Hella UP28 Vac Pump
The Following User Says Thank You to GOAT8U2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 11:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Extra power v drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT8U2 View Post
I'm going to have the 3", Borla Pro XS on my setup soon. I'll report back as these don't get as much attention but they make the most power with a slightly lower decibel sound.
I'll give up a tiny bit of power to eliminate risk of drone every time!! Any "straight through" style like Borla or Ultraflow versus a "turbo" chambered muffler like Dynomax Super Turbos risks drone. I recently learned that the Super Turbos were named after a new muffler design in the 60's for the turbo Corvair that had a drone issue in testing....

"Well the girls out there knock me out, you know
Cruisin' around in my GTO"

Rock 'n' Roll High School
Ramones
Old 10-05-2020, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We've went over the droning issues in several threads in the past.

The straight through designs from my experience are actually better at controlling any drone. The only mufflers I've had droning with are chamber style mufflers.

In fact I've mentioned in the past it's more related to how the system is hung on the car. As many use the cheap auto store hangers or what ever is supplied in the exhaust kit. Which actually mounts the system very solid to the car. I prefer to use the factory hangers for the particular car I'm working on, and most all that stuff is reproduced today. You might pay $100 or more for the correct hangers, but the OEM designed hangers do a much better job of isolating the exhaust system from the car.

I'm running Dynomax Ultraflows on 2 other cars here, both with "X" cross overs and neither car exhibits any drone what so ever. Both have long tube headers and one of them is a complete 3" system, the other 2 1/2"

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
We've went over the droning issues in several threads in the past.

The straight through designs from my experience are actually better at controlling any drone. The only mufflers I've had droning with are chamber style mufflers.

In fact I've mentioned in the past it's more related to how the system is hung on the car. As many use the cheap auto store hangers or what ever is supplied in the exhaust kit. Which actually mounts the system very solid to the car. I prefer to use the factory hangers for the particular car I'm working on, and most all that stuff is reproduced today. You might pay $100 or more for the correct hangers, but the OEM designed hangers do a much better job of isolating the exhaust system from the car.

I'm running Dynomax Ultraflows on 2 other cars here, both with "X" cross overs and neither car exhibits any drone what so ever. Both have long tube headers and one of them is a complete 3" system, the other 2 1/2"

Same experience here. We’ve got 3” to the X 2.5 out with long Ultraflows on the wife’s convert. No drone. I used a Torque Tech system. The hangers were much better than parts store stuff. I think that makes a big difference. Sadly, I think Torque Tech is no more. He was a great help to me in deciding on a system.

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 10-05-2020, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Same experience here. We’ve got 3” to the X 2.5 out with long Ultraflows on the wife’s convert. No drone. I used a Torque Tech system. The hangers were much better than parts store stuff. I think that makes a big difference. Sadly, I think Torque Tech is no more. He was a great help to me in deciding on a system.

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yep, my 3" system has some Torque Tech tailpipes. I always loved their stuff. You are correct, unfortunately they closed the doors a few years back.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:41 PM
Suspended

I bought my Dynomax Ultraflows from 4wheelonline this year. I like the sound of this muffler. Not too loud, and no drone at all. It has a nice rumble at idle.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Exhaust Cut outs

What do you guys think of adding electric exhaust cut outs on my 77 with shorty headers Pypes H system and super turbos.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have cutouts on 3 of the vehicles here and 2 of them are electric. Probably been using them off and on for 16-17 years??

I like them for a few different reasons.

It's really up to you and what your intentions are.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
We have cutouts on 3 of the vehicles here and 2 of them are electric. Probably been using them off and on for 16-17 years??

I like them for a few different reasons.

It's really up to you and what your intentions are.
I just want to make noise now and then.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenga View Post
I just want to make noise now and then.
It's good for that

It makes a great second horn. Or when some guy pulls along side and revs the engine, flip the switch.

Another reason I run them is to play with them at the track to see if it's worth anything. It's especially worth while if you run a small quiet system on the car that might be a pinch restrictive. Easy back to back comparisons. And while I do like racing the cars through the mufflers for a real street ET, the old school in me still loves to hear a car with open headers going down track.

They seem to work best if placed beyond the header collectors at least a foot or more but that all depends on the car and the room you have to work with.

https://youtu.be/M-TsdxjE144

https://youtu.be/HQ7e9o4qAaI

Old 10-28-2020, 10:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

Quote:
It's good for that

It makes a great second horn. Or when some guy pulls along side and revs the engine, flip the switch.

Another reason I run them is to play with them at the track to see if it's worth anything. It's especially worth while if you run a small quiet system on the car that might be a pinch restrictive. Easy back to back comparisons. And while I do like racing the cars through the mufflers for a real street ET, the old school in me still loves to hear a car with open headers going down track.

They seem to work best if placed beyond the header collectors at least a foot or more but that all depends on the car and the room you have to work with.
:-) So many choices. Would like a solid seal when closed and slim as ground clearance issues. Do you have and recommedations.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now that I think of it, 3 cars here have electric cutouts.

I use DMH on the Chevelle and they've been great for more than 16 years or so. They are the larger 3 inch round units, and this car had the room where I could extend some 3" pipe up and out of the way so they can't even be seen.

For more ground clearance on tighter applications I like the low profile oval cutouts from Quick Time. I'm running those on the other 2 cars because they were a little tight for room, and they are easier to tuck up under the car.

They all do an excellent job of sealing up, no leaks or ticking of any kind from them.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Now that I think of it, 3 cars here have electric cutouts.

I use DMH on the Chevelle and they've been great for more than 16 years or so. They are the larger 3 inch round units, and this car had the room where I could extend some 3" pipe up and out of the way so they can't even be seen.

For more ground clearance on tighter applications I like the low profile oval cutouts from Quick Time. I'm running those on the other 2 cars because they were a little tight for room, and they are easier to tuck up under the car.
Thanks!

Old 10-28-2020, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It's good for that

Another reason I run them is to play with them at the track to see if it's worth anything.

https://youtu.be/M-TsdxjE144

https://youtu.be/HQ7e9o4qAaI
What have you experienced with this? Does it pick up? Drop off? Curious minds want to know!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude
Old 10-28-2020, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are worth some ET and MPH, but it varies from car to car. Depends on how good the exhaust system is to begin with, what the engine likes, and where the cutouts are placed.
I've found they work best if you move them at least a foot or more away from the header collectors, similar to the affect you get with open headers that show gains with a collector extension. Just works better if it's down stream a bit and designed with a straight shot if there is room to do that.

I might have some pictures here somewhere. I should probably video the comparisons with the go pro next time at the track.