Old 11-04-2020, 11:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Timing cover fuel pump threads stripped what are my options.

Just got done resealing my timing cover, new water pump balancer pulleys etc. while torquing the fuel pump screws the rear one stripped. I had my TQ wrench set to 20ft lbs. not sure if the wrench is bad or the threads were bad to start with. Now i need to figure out how to repair it. Do i need to remove the cover and helicoil it or could i do it with it on the car. If i can get away with not removing it that would be great. Any suggestions.

Old 11-04-2020, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If they haven’t been stripped before you can go to a 3/8-16 bolt after you tap it. Will have to open pump holes also very common fix. You could use a hellicoil also if you want to stay with the 5/16 bolt.

Old 11-04-2020, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you'll need a decent length tap extension if you plan to do it on the engine. No room on the rear hole to turn a tap handle since it's so close to the block. Probably at least six inch long extension.

Lots of people go with a 3/8 tap. Probably the easiest solution. Heli-coil a bit more finicky in that situation, need to drill it nice and straight (not sure if you can get a drill in there) and there is the little hard stainless tab that will probably go into the engine on installation. If just tapping for 3/8 you only have to worry about some aluminum bits. There are other types of thread inserts that might work for you too.

If you end up taking it off ... heli-coil both holes to 5/16 while you have it off. Standard procedure for me when installing a used original cover.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 12:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can't remember if that back hole goes through or not. That would be the big question whether to do it on the engine or off. If it's a through hole I think it would be close to impossible to keep shavings from falling inside

Old 11-04-2020, 01:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hole goes all the way thru. My main concern is shavings falling down into the pan. I dont want to damage the engine.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you take the pump off you can get to the back of both holes you can make a small tape box to catch chips or put a clean rag under holes on inside and use some grease to catch chips. If you take your time it’s not a very hard fix

The Following User Says Thank You to grandam1979 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have never really liked heli-colis. E-Z-locs or other solid inserts work a lot better imho.
Here is an example:https://www.amazon.com/Z-Threaded-In...ts_id=16410701

Old 11-04-2020, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For whatever you need, check McMaster-Carr they will have most everything. Heli-coils are also available without the tab.

Others may disagree but I don't think a few aluminum shavings in the pan would be an issue. They would almost certainly remain in the pan and the pump screen should stop anything large enough to be a problem in the pump, then the filter would catch the rest. (although ... check balls get stuck pretty easy).

As Grandam suggested, there are ways to catch the chips on the back side. Heck you could probably bend up a little spoon out of aluminum foil, put some grease in it and hold it behind the hole.

I think the drilling would be the biggest issue, might need smallish right angle drill, or attachment for a conventional drill to get in there ... and I bet it still might be too close to the block to get the drill straight. Maybe a right angle drill with a long bit to clear the block might work.

I'd check if you have room before you decide on anything. Working a 3/8 tap in there with an extension, without drilling may be the only way. There may be some right angle air drills small enough to do the job.

Last edited by dataway; 11-04-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So if i understand correctly. I could use a 3/8 tap and not have to drill it. If that is the case i can see taking a piece of duct tape and covering the backside of the hole And slowly tapping and going in small increments and vacuuming the hole as go so i dont push a bunch of savings into the oil pan. On the other hand i could just bite the bullet and pull the whole cover and either replace it completely with a new one or fix it properly off the car and reinstall. Decisions decisions.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I really like and recimmend Helicoils for the Fuel Pump Hole repair. Prehaps better than New.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Usually loading up the tap with wheel bearing grease catches 99.9% of the chips

Also you could drain the oil first and after tapping spray it down with a couple cans of carb spray with the drain plug out or use a quart of gas with a funnel and length of hose to flush out contamination whatever you use just make sure it evaporates easy

Iam about to install a brand new cover myself I may be studding the fuel pump

Old 11-04-2020, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO if the engine is in the cars working on that cramped space I would pull the cover for sure to avoid any more issues than you already have.Tom

Old 11-04-2020, 09:40 PM
Senior Chief

I don’t remember reading that when resealing the timing cover you installed a new timing chain and gear along with the balancer and water pump. If the chain wasn’t replaced then pull the timing cover, replace the chain and cam gear and repair the damaged hole threads before putting the cover back on.

Old 11-05-2020, 02:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t7goat View Post
So if i understand correctly. I could use a 3/8 tap and not have to drill it. If that is the case i can see taking a piece of duct tape and covering the backside of the hole And slowly tapping and going in small increments and vacuuming the hole as go so i dont push a bunch of savings into the oil pan. On the other hand i could just bite the bullet and pull the whole cover and either replace it completely with a new one or fix it properly off the car and reinstall. Decisions decisions.
Usually in aluminum .. yes you can go straight to the 3/8 tap. The tap drill size for a 3/8 - 16 bolt is ... 5/16". And obviously you already have very close to a 5/16" hole there so you are good to go.

Old 11-05-2020, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pull the timing chain cover.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 11-05-2020, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulas View Post
Usually loading up the tap with wheel bearing grease catches 99.9% of the chips

Also you could drain the oil first and after tapping spray it down with a couple cans of carb spray with the drain plug out or use a quart of gas with a funnel and length of hose to flush out contamination whatever you use just make sure it evaporates easy

Iam about to install a brand new cover myself I may be studding the fuel pump
I like this idea, no more stripped threads and installing the pump is a lot easier.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
The Following User Says Thank You to SRR For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2020, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use a drill for the tap size especially in aluminum you want all the engagement you can. I'm no expert however just using the 3/8 tap without proper size drill you 'might' tear some of the aluminum you want for engagement. I've had to this before.

Old 11-05-2020, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want to just FIX the problem, get yourself a bolt that is slightly smaller in diameter than the 5/16 bolt and about an inch longer than your old bolt. Insert a length of dental floss string into the bad hole and back out the fuel pump lever hole. Tie the string to the bolt a few threads from the end and pull the bolt back out of the bad hole. Thread the string through the pump hole to hold the bolt in place as you mount the pump. Put a nut on the bolt end, remove the string and add a couple more nuts to serve as "jam nuts" and tighten nuts to secure pump. I've done this more than once and it works fine. I'll bet a bunch of guys on this board have done this too!

If it is a "show car", follow Tom's advice!

Old 11-05-2020, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1st, try a Longer bolt. Originals don't grab all the threads

Old 11-05-2020, 11:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Doug- to be clear you are suggesting leaving the head of the bolt inside the timing cover and having the threaded portion stick out like a stud? Great idea.