THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-18-2020, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wild Finish at Datona

To bad about Ryan Newman, one second your leading the the next second your six feet in the air and headed for the hospital. At least he didn't end up like Earnhardt.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That was a hard hit he took to the roof. Crazy to survive a wreck like this one. Ryan is going to be hurting.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Serious, but not life threatening condition.

Joe Gibbs apologized for his team's celebration while Ryan was still being extricated from his car.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Media has mentioned the Dale Sr’s death may have helped save Newman’s life. I agree!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 02-19-2020, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The drivers window is the most vulnerable area in the car, the car that hit Ryan's car and lifted it into the air hit right in the drivers window area. Then when it fell back down it landed on the halo area on the left front corner of the roof. Because the driver enters and exits through the left window there can't be any cage tubing to strengthen that area and a window net is the only thing covering the opening.

It's one of the areas of the car that is pretty much still the same through the years because of it's function.

Tony Stewart has made comments before about restrictor plate racing and how many cars it claims at superspeedways, yet it seems to fall on deaf ears. To add to the congestion was a green, white, checker restart/finish. Unfortunately a product of superspeedway/restrictor plate racing.

Tony's rant about tore up race cars at Talladega after being involved in the big one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

My prayers for Ryan and family, hopefully he will live to race again.
As a fan, and former driver/owner I hate to see any wrecks and especially hate to see drivers injured.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-19-2020, 11:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think NASCAR will be taking a hard look at safety after this. I heard they moved the driver seating 4 inches towards the car center this year.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those 2 tracks IMO have out lived their usefulness.The drivers wanted more throttle response so they got rid of the restrictor and added a tapered spacer giving them more throttle response along with more than 100 HP.The cars are once again over 200 and its going to kill someone.IMO they should be changed to a roval like they run at the Rolex in Daytona.Tom

Old 02-19-2020, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Remove restrictor plates and all spoilers...

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 02-19-2020, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My eyes were on Ryan when he got turned, wasn't even paying attention to the finish line. The wall was hard enough but I cringed when he got punched in the driver door window and knew that wasn't going to be good.

Glad to see he is awake and talking now. Has 2 bruises on his brain the doctors say will heal on their own. He's going to be pretty sore for a while.

Old 02-19-2020, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No plates of anykind and they will run 250 there!That could put a car in the stands and kill more than the driver.Tom

Old 02-19-2020, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was going to say the same thing Tom. They'll go 240+ without a restrictor, and without spoilers the teams would still find a way to pin the cars down in the corners.

I don't know of a solution. We certainly can't unrestrict them, and as long as they keep trying to restrict these engines we are going to have tandem racing and bump drafting. That's just a product of it.

One thing is for sure, these tracks aren't going away. With Daytona being the biggest race of the Nascar series, with the most draw, money, and prestige, it's not going anywhere.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
No plates of anykind and they will run 250 there!That could put a car in the stands and kill more than the driver.Tom
Debatable...
Without ANY spoilers of any kind, there wouldn't be 30 cars bumper to bumper/door to door.
And without restrictors would have to feather pedals in the turns way more.
Why not try it and see. Couldn't be any worse imo.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 02-19-2020, 05:56 PM
Senior Chief

Sorry to interrupt your debate but I just wanted you to know that Ryan was released from the hospital this afternoon and walked out holding his daughters hands. Now go back debating.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was very happy to see this. He is one very lucky man. I do think they need to work on making the super speedway races more than a 5 lap demolition derby every time. I enjoy the racing, not the crashes

Old 02-19-2020, 06:11 PM

I am not a fan of NASCAR but did see the crash, how could you miss it all over the news. I know that no one wants to assign blame, it looked like Newman cut off the guy in back of him and that caused the other guy to tap his bumper and get him out of sorts. #12 who tapped his bumper was coming on strong, where did the #12 get the extra burst from?

Old 02-19-2020, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Blaney got a push from Logano. The only way a leader can hold his position is to block, unless he has help. It's part of the game. Last lap of the race, that's what Ryan was doing. Blaney was interviewed and he was content to stay with Ryan when they moved to the bottom, but if you don't get those bumpers lined up perfectly and both cars going straight, it'll turn the car in front. You really can't push in the turns, or the tri oval because of that. But it's the last lap of the race, so you take more chances. Just an unfortunate part of this type of racing. Neither driver at fault.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2 cars tied together were going like 7-10 MPH faster than a single car.NASCAR wont be satisfied until a car goes into the stands.JMO,Tom

Old 02-19-2020, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GiPper View Post
Sorry to interrupt your debate but I just wanted you to know that Ryan was released from the hospital this afternoon and walked out holding his daughters hands.
That is great news.