Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:01 PM

Default 200R4 TV sensitivity (and EZ-EFI compatibility)

While reading a few 200R4 threads on here yesterday, I read how easily the TV cable can burn up a new transmission. Is this cause/effect only due to the initial setup performed by the builder (in the trans?), or can the TV cable become 'interrupted' from the handling of the transmission and/or its connection to the throttle linkage?

My plan is to put a 200R4 in my '72 GP along with EZ-EFI. After what I read about the TV cables, I wonder is setting it up with the EZ-EFI going to be a path with very little wiggle room to avoid failure.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The cable is a purely mechanical hookup, and once adjusted it is basically bulletproof. The only problem is not adjusting the cable properly on initial installation, and this is usually the result of not paying attention when adapting the cable to a carb (or EFI) that doesn't have the correct arm for the cable. Basically, the pivot pin needs to be a specific distance from the throttle shaft centerline, and positioned at the proper clock position to allow not only for full valve operation at full throttle, but also the correct valve opening at partial throttle positions. Regardless of the scare tactics of some trans builders, achieving the proper layout isn't rocket science. You can purchase a universal adapter from Bowtie Overdrives, or copy the dimensions from Art Carr's website (California Performance Transmissions) and make your own bracket. It really isn't that hard to get it right.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 PM

Thank you for the help!

Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Although I have no experience setting up a TV Cable, this looks to be fairly easy to understand.....http://www.jakesperformance.com/TV_C...etup_Info.html

Karl

Old 06-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LuxuryLeMansLa. View Post
Although I have no experience setting up a TV Cable, this looks to be fairly easy to understand.....http://www.jakesperformance.com/TV_C...etup_Info.html

Karl

Good reference for sure

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM

...signing on to the thread

I have a 200-4r and a Holly TBI that I hope to be using on my build. I've read all the scary stuff about setting up the TV cable correctly too. I'm happy to know it's not that hard to do right.

Chris

Old 06-25-2013, 09:26 PM

Thanks Karl!