Old 05-14-2012, 12:26 PM

Default Starter Problems

I am having trouble with heat sink on my starter. I am running Hooker super comps and after driving the starter does not want to turn over. Once it cools off, it will start the car fine.
I am curious if anyone else has this problem with a standard starter and these headers.

Or if my tune is too lean and running too hot.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I had D-ports and the Hooker super comps, I never had any issues with heat soak. If I remember correctly, there was even a decent amount of space between the header and the starter.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:54 PM

I was running rich, kept fouling plugs, so they readjusted my carb. It is lean on start up, starts then dies till you get warmed up. When it was running rich the starter worked fine. It might be too lean, was just wanting to see if anybody else had issues. I have a 780 quick fuel, and just seems like they cant get it set right.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:57 PM

If anybody else has experience please chime in.

Does anybody know what the temp range on the headers should be with a temp gun?

Old 05-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom455 View Post
I was running rich, kept fouling plugs, so they readjusted my carb. It is lean on start up, starts then dies till you get warmed up. When it was running rich the starter worked fine. It might be too lean, was just wanting to see if anybody else had issues. I have a 780 quick fuel, and just seems like they cant get it set right.
What did "they" do to lean it up?

Old 05-14-2012, 03:39 PM

Once the motor was rebuilt and the current setup was installed it was fouling plugs, because it was too rich. The engine builder took out two jet sizes, due to a recommendation from quick fuel, but it was still way too rich. Plugs fouled after a hour of driving. Then upon recommendation from quick fuel he readjusted the vacumm down and went a quarter turn out on all 4 corners. This fixed the rich conditions and he turned them out another quarter turn i believe. He adjusted it till it would start then die, and left it set there.

I was thinking that i need to put the jet back in, since the carb was adjusted wrong when he took the jet size out.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:29 PM

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I'm interested in knowing.