Old 03-25-2020, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast GTO View Post
Changed from Hooker headers( leaked terribly) last year for the RA cast and good head pipes for my 71 GTO with PB and A/C. The Hookers were banged up to fit the A/C suitcase (still heat damaged it) as well as clearance at drivers side. I cut the Hookers off in pieces just to get to some of the bolts. The RA manifolds went in super easy and seal great.
Yep, this is why I always suggest good manifolds for the average Joe that wants to spend more time driving his car, and less time dealing with those types of issues. I once torched off a cheap pair of headers on my 71 demon when switching back to manifolds back in the day!

Meanwhile, headers are an Absolute piece of cake in my 68 bird. But this is an automatic with zero accessories and although there is plenty of room for the oem style oil filter, I have it mounted remotely. It really is dependent on each specific car/application and your tolerance for monkeying around when it comes to headers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 03-25-2020, 03:47 PM

Default no problem in my 65

Last week, I dropped in the motor with both RA manifolds attached and got it bolted in with no problems. It was tight but can be done.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:50 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Jim, they fit nice on my wife’s 65. Had to do something different for the clutch return spring but no big deal.

Maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OK thanks, I see a couple other members had no problems. We had a forum member have a problem with one side hitting the upper A-arm, which could have been a worn suspension issue, or even sprung frame/engine cradle.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The 455 in my GTO spun a rod and I'm in the process of pulling the engine. The headers are making this a headache. Where the pipes sweep back on the center exhaust ports the bolt is hidden and inaccessible. I'm already tempted to use the airsaw to get them off and buy a pair of RA manifolds.
Conversely I put a set of used Hookers on a '68 Firebird long ago and never had any problems with them at all. I had to remove the starter and the oil filter to get them on but after that it was great. No leaks, scraping, nothing. And they added a lot of power to the 350.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:07 PM

Just an FYI for folks. I ordered last June/July a set of Ram Air Restoration roundports for my '67 GTO from them directly. They have changed to a different foundry in the US close by to them and there are still no parts after many calls and check ins. Said they are still finding core shifts in the samples.

Luckily I have plenty to do before this, but I would like to get them on and finish the exhaust, chassis, etc.

I have not called since the virus broke out, but will try. Anyone else have any other luck??
Matt F

Old 04-13-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf67gto View Post
Just an FYI for folks. I ordered last June/July a set of Ram Air Restoration roundports for my '67 GTO from them directly. They have changed to a different foundry in the US close by to them and there are still no parts after many calls and check ins. Said they are still finding core shifts in the samples.

Luckily I have plenty to do before this, but I would like to get them on and finish the exhaust, chassis, etc.

I have not called since the virus broke out, but will try. Anyone else have any other luck??
Matt F
I just got off the phone with Paul at RARE. He is always nice to deal with and he gives me updates when I call. He appears to be even more behind now with the virus shutting things down. Some things are just beyond our control.

I ordered D Port manifolds from him last year and it took a few months, but they have arrived and are very nice. I almost did not get the ceramic coating, but I'm glad I did. It is clearly not just painted and looks like it will hold up better in use than anything I could have done. Unfortunately, my down pipes are in line to get the ceramic coating, so I am still waiting for those parts. It is a long wait, but probably worth the wait considering what I read about other sources, especially if you are looking at the oversized outlet products. Those down pipes are the last items I need before I can start up my new motor. Yet, I have tons of cleaning up to do in and around the car while I wait.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well dang, that stinks. I was planning to order a complete system including the oversized manifolds from RARE in the next 4-6 weeks. Sounds like I wont' be getting manifolds for quite a while if they're having issues with the foundry. Hopefully everything gets ironed out (pun intended) soon!

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 04-17-2020, 01:30 AM

I ordered the 2.5" D-ports in late November. It took until a month ago to get them, but the castings look very good. Ceramic coating job is top-notch. Paul was responsive and upfront about the delay, I respect him for not sending out parts if they're not 100% right.