Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-14-2020, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been buying Interstate batteries from Costco for 15 years. Dozen cars here and some sit for periods of time. I've never had an issue with the Interstate batteries, and they average about $100 at Costco so it's not terrible.

I have 2 cars here with batteries from Napa, they have been perfectly fine as well.

My lawn tractor has a cheap Walmart battery in it, and that thing sits a lot since I only have to mow every 4-5 weeks 9 months out of the year and the other 3 months it just sits. So far it's been okay and that battery is now 3 years old. It doesn't sit on a trickle either.

On the green battery thing I can relate to Mgarblik. I don't like ugly batteries in our classics. I use a well disguised battery topper on a couple of cars so it doesn't really matter what the battery says on top. I can run anything I want.
Just for the record, the Interstate batteries are no longer plastered with green everywhere, nearly all of them are pretty much black now.

Here's a topper I had to make for one of the cars, since this is an odd size Y55 reverse polarity used early in production on this model, battery toppers aren't made for it, so I created my own. Interstate doesn't have this battery either, Napa still carries it however. So that's a Napa battery hiding under there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7070027.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	544947  

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 07-14-2020, 10:42 AM
Senior Chief

I have used all sorts over the years and usually get 4 to 5 years, cheap or not. Summer driver and trickle charger over the winter. Could be my imagination or aging memory, but seems that when the cheap ones crapped out, they went quick. Whereas the pricier ones gave lots of signals for what was coming. Again, maybe just a perception?? I recently had to swap out, and went to the Optima. The 455 has seen lots of changes n mods so I'm not too concerned about the lack of OEM look, but if the engine bay looked more original I would not have gone to the Optima. The cheap ones, though, have sometimes leaked and with the clean condition of my engine bay I didn't want to chance that. And, with the EFI, solid state relay and the need for dependable electrics, I think the Optima will add some assurance over some of the "lesser" batteries I have used. No science here :>)

Old 07-14-2020, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Super start blows. 3 years.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 07-14-2020, 11:30 AM
Suspended

LOL

Old 07-14-2020, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Honestly, I've had really good luck with cheapo autoparts store batteries over the decades. I've had a number of them last 10+ years. I've also used name brand batteries in cars, with varying experiences. The DieHard in my BMW is the same battery I bought the car with ten years ago, when it was a 12 year old used car at the time (no idea when the battery was installed). In my Subaru, however, it killed a name brand battery after about 3.5 years. I installed a cheapo from O'Reilly, so we'll see how long it lasts. I periodically consider getting an Optima, but I'm always scared away by the not insignificant number of negative reviews. Seems they are really spotty, and not cheap.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 07-14-2020, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 3 diesel trucks, and they tend to eat batteries regularly. I've tried a bunch of different ones, and have gotten about the same life out of all of them. If I'm lucky, 3-4 years.

I recently talked to the commercial account parts guy at Advance, lamenting that I wasn't thrilled to have to buy another pair of batteries for one of my trucks to the tune of $220, plus dollars. I see that Advance recently bought the Diehard name now, and those are even higher priced.

He suggested I buy from Rural King, Exide made batteries right on the case, but private labels. I go and purchase 2 of the 72 month batteries, $160 for the pair, 800 CCA dual fit top, and side terminals. After about a year and a half one took a dump, I don't have the receipt, and I'm dreading dealing with a warranty claim. Man, nothing could have been easier, I wheeled the bad battery in to the service desk, explained to the girl I had a defective battery, she looks it up on the computer and says get a new one, and she'll take care of it. I get the new one sign for the claim, and am out the door in about 10 minutes, start to finish.

Link to Rural King 78-72 month $79.99 800 CCA battery:

https://www.ruralking.com/nascar-select-battery-78dt-72

They sell the Exide branded batteries too, but they of course are more expensive than the Rural King brand.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-14-2020, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had good luck with them. Same with Duralast.

I did have one Walmart battery decided to not charge about 2 years into ownership, and Walmart replaced it for free. I now have 3 years on that battery and it's still going strong.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 07-14-2020, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have had some interstate batteries last 14 years in some semi tractors. 7 in some vehicles. And then some die under warrantee. Some brands last a year in our trucks and that is longer than the warrantee. Lol

I usually just use what is handy.

When my Yukon xl battery died I was close to a Walmart. I walked over and bought one about 4 yrs ago. I don’t remember it being cheap though. Still going.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A504D608-B180-4C05-BFC5-4E6A5E880422.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	544951   Click image for larger version

Name:	444B4BE3-A347-41F5-A16E-CDE847F50A50.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	544952  

Last edited by Jay S; 07-14-2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 07-14-2020, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to replace batteries all the time. Since I started religiously using a trickle charger, I don't think I've replaced a single battery. If you *never* let your battery get cold without a charger connected, and you never let your battery go more than a week or so without connecting the trickle charger during warmer weather, I think you'll be shocked how much longer they last.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I used to replace batteries all the time. Since I started religiously using a trickle charger, I don't think I've replaced a single battery. If you *never* let your battery get cold without a charger connected, and you never let your battery go more than a week or so without connecting the trickle charger during warmer weather, I think you'll be shocked how much longer they last.
Lot of truth to this post, and if I didn't let mine get low in the winter without running the trucks for weeks, or months, I have no doubt the diesel truck batteries would last longer. Having them get discharged, and then cold, saps the life out of them quickly.

I know for a fact that a charged battery doesn't freeze, but letting them discharge and then freeze during the winter I know it buckles the plates and insulating paper in between causing short circuits, and dead cells.

I probably need to get some type of a solar charger, and leave it on the dashboard when the trucks are sitting, bet that would eliminate premature battery death. Of course when servicing batteries in a diesel you replace them in sets so it gets expensive quickly. even if only one dies.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 07-14-2020, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
I have 3 diesel trucks, and they tend to eat batteries regularly. I've tried a bunch of different ones, and have gotten about the same life out of all of them. If I'm lucky, 3-4 years.

I recently talked to the commercial account parts guy at Advance, lamenting that I wasn't thrilled to have to buy another pair of batteries for one of my trucks to the tune of $220, plus dollars. I see that Advance recently bought the Diehard name now, and those are even higher priced.

He suggested I buy from Rural King, Exide made batteries right on the case, but private labels. I go and purchase 2 of the 72 month batteries, $160 for the pair, 800 CCA dual fit top, and side terminals. After about a year and a half one took a dump, I don't have the receipt, and I'm dreading dealing with a warranty claim. Man, nothing could have been easier, I wheeled the bad battery in to the service desk, explained to the girl I had a defective battery, she looks it up on the computer and says get a new one, and she'll take care of it. I get the new one sign for the claim, and am out the door in about 10 minutes, start to finish.

Link to Rural King 78-72 month $79.99 800 CCA battery:

https://www.ruralking.com/nascar-select-battery-78dt-72

They sell the Exide branded batteries too, but they of course are more expensive than the Rural King brand.

I have two of the RK batteries. One good and one bad. The one in my Galaxie is great. The one I have in my 43 MB goes dead fast even cranking that little 134 with maybe 5 to 1 compression.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 07-14-2020, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They're made by Exide, it says so right on the case, so as has been my experience lately, batteries just don't last like they did 30 years ago. I don't care whose name is emblazoned on them, they don't all make the grade probably because of poor QC.

I used to work in a plastics shop in the mid 70s and Exide and Johnson Controls were our biggest customers for battery cases. I doubt that whomever is making their components now have the QC checks that we had at that time, hence you get good, and bad ones. Back then the cases were pulled off the press for inspection at least once an hour. There were a lot of defects caught during those random checks that more than likely don't happen any longer.

I've just kind of resigned myself that, no matter whose name is on the case, they just don't make them like they used to.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 07-14-2020, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most parts stores have "Used" batteries also. They are usually batteries bought by people who thought there battery was bad and returned them inside a weeks time. Since they were installed they cannot be sold as new. I haven't bought a new battery in years. Just make sure you get them to test it before we you by it to make sure it's fully charged and tests good.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 07-14-2020, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting that of the several new GM vehicles I have purchased since 1987, the OEM battery has lasted a minimum of 5 years. I do not believe I have ever had a replacement battery last 5 years in recent memory. As mentioned here, they are not all treated equally....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 07-14-2020, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Some say I’m a tight ass but I buy mine at the local junkyard. Not for my daily drivers but for my second line vehicles. $25 cash, I pick the newest one that will fit. Never had one that didn’t last at least 2 years.
Most of the cars I put them in aren’t around that long.

I know it sounds stupid but I’ve had good luck with it so far. My all time record was 6 years in my old trash hauler & that was not putting it on a tender or having to jump it. YMMV

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I do the same thing for work vehicles. If you look enough you can get a almost new high end battery for 25$.
I also do the same thing with tires for the Tundra. Why spend 1,000+$ for tires that will last 4 years when I buy used tires for 200$( I know a tire guy) that last 3 years.
I had a Maxxstart Wall Mart battery in my race car for over 12 years before it gave out. It was a very good battery but the new ones look like they are made from a different manufacturer. I run one of the new Wall Mart batteries in my work beater Honda.
Anyone remember the Keystone "Heavy Plate" battery ? Best battery ever. I had one in my GTO in High School (1983) and that thing was a beast. My brother used it in the late 80s in his truck. Left the lights on all nite and the truck started right up in the morning. Sad they are no longer made.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
Most parts stores have "Used" batteries also. They are usually batteries bought by people who thought there battery was bad and returned them inside a weeks time. Since they were installed they cannot be sold as new. I haven't bought a new battery in years. Just make sure you get them to test it before we you by it to make sure it's fully charged and tests good.
To add to your comment, if a battery sits unsold on a store shelf for a period of time, they will eventually take it back to a distribution facility of some sort. There is an Interstate Battery distribution center near me that reclaims all the unsold Interstate batteries in the Seattle region. I got an unused $200+ Interstate for $45. They tested it before I paid, and it was still at max power. Smoking deal.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 07-14-2020, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lead-acid batteries in storage should be fine during the winter without trickle chargers, they discharge more slowly in cold weather. For my summer vehicles, I disconnect the battery in the fall and walk away. In the spring I hook it back up and start the car. They'll typically last six years or more before they need to be replaced.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are a few things going on here first being the way the battery manufacturers the battery cells is crap now so even with a good desulification plan you are doomed.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rTcBanpMk

Old 07-15-2020, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6T9GTO View Post
Interesting video. My 2003 daily driver battery took a dump so I'm looking for a good inexpensive battery. Thanks.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/