Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-13-2020, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a B&M Quicksilver and keep the cable tight, and drive it like a sequential transmission.
If you have that slightly loose cable, does the 1-2 shift happen to fast at WOT, or just as you are rolling though the gears? Does the OD shift come earlier as well?

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 200r4

if i loosen it comes too quick even at wot (or close to it ... I'm still a little Leary)
but the OD stays pretty much the same. It was over 60 before OD before I snapped the shaft, but I didn't have to lift for it to shift.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Navy ... hehehe I know what you mean by the personality test. I was lucky, had an understanding advisor in NPS that cut me some slack on the math, by the time I got to the practical application stuff on the "Second Side" I was good to go. Ended up an instructor at the Kesselring prototype base up in NY. I should have gone your route, we had a 40% attrition rate at the time, had other friends that also failed to graduate and ended up with degrees working for contractors making many times what I did
If you even get into the Nuke program you usually have what it takes to get into any college in the country.
I'm still in the area of the Kesselring site ... so I talk to a lot of the current crop ... I hear the program used to be a filter, now it's a funnel

Old 07-13-2020, 04:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I hear the program used to be a filter, now it's a funnel
My section of Power School had more students attempt suicide than graduate. 3 of them completed their attempt. I went through in 1996/7, and the wash-out rate was north of 50% and the overall suicide attempt rate was around 25% of the student body. A lot of those were just gestures to get DQ'd and out of the Navy. That wasn't a good time in my life. I was on mando study hours 55-5's, and basically lived at the school house.

I probably could have passed, but there was a point where I realized that it wasn't for me and I just waited it out with the grades. There wasn't anything presented that I couldn't understand, but JEEZE the equations you had to memorize and work through for the tests was just to much. I was a week 5 power school "auto-drop", my grades were so bad I didn't even get a board.

My nuke school drop sheet saying I "lack academic aptitude" is in the same frame as my commissioning documents. I tip my cap to everyone with the big brain to make it through that school. It is easily the most academically challenging school in the military. BUDS for brains. Well done.

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:47 PM
Suspended

There was a fella on Speed-talk with a PHD, he was very confused about this and other things. Incorrectly using equations to try and explain, then many others would point out his fatal errors. Pathetic.

He's also never found any correlation between flow bench numbers and dyno power. Funny stuff, when Larry (34 plus NHRA records) says he always sees correlation!

I don't watch TV or sports, fun for me is math and physics. 30 / 40 hours of week of "fun" is a normal week for me. I can do things Mr PHD thinks are impossible.. lol In academics, I'd typically score 98 to 100 % on exams. My engineer father was better, student of the year more than once for his University. Best of all I solve equations in my sleep.. yup.. wake up and I have a solution I've been plugging away at for 12 hours. For real.

Last edited by pastry_chef; 07-13-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Navy, I went through in 77-79 (A school through prototype). Saw a couple of guys hair turn white, I kid you not, it's freakin stressful that's for sure. And kind of disappointing in the end when you find out they don't care that much if you DID learn it, they just wanted to see if you COULD learn it. 80% of what you learn in NPS you never use again.

BTW ... I absconded with all my hand written notes ... no freakin way was I going to leave 500 pages of sweat behind .... I still have them, complete with "Confidential NO-FORN" stamped on them Course it's probably all on the internet somewhere by now.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
BTW ... I absconded with all my hand written notes ... no freakin way was I going to leave 500 pages of sweat behind .... I still have them, complete with "Confidential NO-FORN" stamped on them Course it's probably all on the internet somewhere by now.
Nothing about nuclear physics is truly classified, and there was very little regarding the specifics of the reactors that was classified. Mostly, being able to follow security protocols was just another "weed-out" criteria.

I hope you bought yourself a Bandit TA as a graduation present.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was still driving my 68 GTO at the time. Which I did many stupid things to, and I am paying dearly now to undo them

18 months into my stint as a instructor I bought myself four months in the brig for an altercation with a officer, which ended my Nuke career.