Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-22-2020, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dual remote oil filter

I am running Dougs headers so oil filter size is a consideration. My brother in law has a trans dapt dual filter kit that he said I could have.. what do you think?

Old 04-22-2020, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't like hoses in a engine compartment.I like to run the full length filter but if not room I run the shorter.I run either B9 or B39 Baldwin.Tom

Old 04-23-2020, 12:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is for a '64 A-body? You can use a Firebird long-branch oil filter adapter which angles the filter back along with the Firebird/Big Car 90deg adapter. I have this setup on my '66 GTO with Doug's headers.

In the pic below, I have an adapter plate which allows Chevy filters to be used on Pontiacs. You can just use a Baldwin B9 without an adapter.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I still run a dual filter on the drag car and did run one on the street car for years.

On the street car, the Doug's headers along with the scatter shield prevents the oil filter (short or long) from being removed unless the complete adapter is removed and the adapter and filter lifted out towards the top. I didn't have the problem with the stock bellhousing and Dougs, but the scatter shield blocks removing just the filter. A newer skinny filter would possibly slip by, but just not that enamored with those.

The good point is the remote dual adapter has the filters running in parallel so the filter restriction is cut in half. The bad point is the complete dual filter assembly looses about six pounds of pressure mostly due to the hose runs.

The additional time and grief of removing the adapter is only once a year on the street car because I don't put that many miles on it. Still a royal pain though.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post

In the pic below, I have an adapter plate which allows Chevy filters to be used on Pontiacs. You can just use a Baldwin B9 without an adapter.

Can you shed some light on that filter adapter plate your using? You made it, bought it, how it fits.

Thanks
Charles

Old 04-23-2020, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess your plans for the by pass filter are shelved then?

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-23-2020, 09:25 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
Can you shed some light on that filter adapter plate your using? You made it, bought it, how it fits.

Thanks
Charles
If you are referring to the Long Branch, big car 421 engine, tilted adaptor or the Firebird long branch adaptor those were factory pieces on those cars. The adaptor was actually some special length bolts, a steel "blocker" plate, and the cast aluminum adaptor.

I do know people who have made adaptors to plumb the hoses to a remote filter and only one guy Bill Klausing (A Machinist) who built a tilted adaptor like the factory unit.

Better to go on EBay and do a search for that set of adaptor parts as the machining today would be very expensive to make it exactly like the factory parts.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2020, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I run a fullsize Wix filter on my car with Doug's headers, no issues on or off

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 04-23-2020, 10:15 AM
Boost Engineer

1964 and 1967 frames should be very close.
I have a 1966 convertible Frame under my 1964 GTO Convertible.
Fit perfectly. Part # for the Wix filter you mentioned?

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I recall correctly it was Wix part number 51258

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 04-23-2020, 01:31 PM
Boost Engineer

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Be safe out there.

Tom V.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i run the fram HP5 or KN HP-2003 with dougs 1.75 headers in a 79 firebird
no issues with either one
i did look at the dual remote filters, but will wait till i decide on the next engine upgrade
If i go remote i want one of remote filter adapters that use the large oil filter size like the Fram HP6a

Old 04-23-2020, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67gtospud View Post
If I recall correctly it was Wix part number 51258
The 51258 is the shorter 4.338" long filter. The full length WIX # is 51049 which is 5.178" long.

The WIX filter lookup is excellent - giving all kinds of information on each filter.

https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/filterlookup.aspx

When working for the ACD, MTC and Mopar warehouse distributor before I retired, I worked with my WIX rep numerous times and he taught me how to use it.

You can enter most any brand oil filter # into the lookup and it will cross it to the WIX equivalent. You can also do a make/model/year lookup. It will find the oil, air, fuel and any other filter that WIX makes for that vehicle.

After you find the filter, if you click on the WIX filter #, it will take you to a pop up that has the full specs and if you click on "applications" it will show you every vehicle that used that filter.

Both of those filter #'s were used extensively by AMC/Jeep/GM as well as a number of boat and tractor applications.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Thanks
Charles
In case you were referring to the adapters:

https://www.ramairrestoration.com/of...-firebird.html

https://www.ramairrestoration.com/of...r-big-car.html

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
The Following User Says Thank You to grivera For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2020, 06:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

Thanks
Charles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
If you are referring to the Long Branch, big car 421 engine........
Tom V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
While you made good comments, they had nothing to do with the question. Charles was referring to my Chevy filter adapter plate.
I made that adapter plate from 1/8" 6061-T6 and machined an O-ring groove in the face which seals on the Pontiac 90 or 110 deg adapter The ring slips over the threaded center tube. The center tube is plenty long enough to accommodate the 1/8" spacer.

If you want, send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a STEP file so you can get one made.

The Following User Says Thank You to hgerhardt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2020, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
I guess your plans for the by pass filter are shelved then?
It just seems overly complicated and unsightly in an engine bay that I am working hard to keep neat. Do you have any pictures of your installation?

Old 04-23-2020, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
It just seems overly complicated and unsightly in an engine bay that I am working hard to keep neat. Do you have any pictures of your installation?
Okay, looks are more important than clean oil, gotcha.....

Tee the pressure line into the oil filter adapter where the oil pressure switch is located, run the return line to the oil filler cap to return it back to the engine, mount the filter bracket with 3 screws, yep overly complicated. If you can't install one in an hour, you shouldn't own tools......

One more thing, a video that pits a conventional oil filter against a by pass filter side by side. Watch the video, (2 minutes, 21 seconds) and tell me which filter does a better job of actually removing dirt, and cleaning the oil.........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaBuV9pOcrU

And finally a picture of a Frantz filter installed on a big block mopar musclecar. You're right, that polished stainless is ugly. It probably should be mounted in the trunk, or behind the front bumper, where no one will see it. Which is entirely possible with a little extra line, if you want it completely out of sight. Also notice the small diameter lines used, compared to the lines twice the size that a remote filter uses.

You're correct, those 2 big remote filters will look much better under the hood, they won't clean the oil either........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They look great in a engine room of a boat,engine compartment of a car not so much!Tom

Old 04-24-2020, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes Hgerhardt. That is exactly what I’m after. Post #15. I did make a spacer for my Wix filter that I’m currently running. 51069 I believe. It has the bigger Chevy o-ring on it. I wish when they had cast the oil filter housings that they would have made it to accommodate the larger sealing area, of the bigger filter. The Wix oil filter is a high flow filter.
Email: chuckies76ta@gmail.com. Thank you.

Also Thank you to Tom and Grivera for the info.

Charles

Old 04-24-2020, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I will soon break in a new engine; and have been talking w/ Brad,(sirrotica), about bypass filters.
I'm definitely installing one before break in. That Franz in the photo looks nice.
I spent over 7K on the build. The small investment in a great filter makes sense.