Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-25-2020, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
I guess you don't remember sending me a message about wanting a by pass oil filter for your new engine, do you? Asking me for detailed directions about installing a by pass oil filter system because your builder said it would be a good addition.

I still have the messages if you want me to refresh your memory.

All I did was ask you why you shelved the idea, it went on from there.
I didn’t mean that to be ugly. I have no doubt a big ass roll of toilet paper filters better than a regular spin on oil filter but I decided that with AC and all the accessories I am running I just don’t have room for it and to make it look as good as the one in the photo requires expenses I am not willing to incur.
I have had lots of GM motors that went well over 100,000 miles with regular oiling. Dual filters is an upgrade for me and I will give it a try for now

Old 04-25-2020, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I doubt Dual Filters does anything else than less of a pressure drop through the filters. They certainly dont "filter better" than a single filter, just more volume.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

AMSOIL says their filters go down to 15/20 micron but god they are proud of them

Old 04-26-2020, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You mean SCAMSOIL

Old 04-26-2020, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Inexpensive alternative for a by pass filter system:

Quote:
5 Micron Bypass Oil Filter Setup - $32.07!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGNhHXMep_c
You have to buy the plumbing fittings, and line, over and above the $32.07, but the maker of the video gives you the part numbers in WIX, as well as CarQuest. I wouldn't pay what AMSOIL wants for a filter and kit, much cheaper alternatives if you bother to research the subject.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-26-2020, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t believe the hype about the oil but do you think the filters are worth the extra 20 per oil change? They have an exploded view on their website and there’s no doubt it’s a quality filter. Says 15/20 microns. Wix and Baldwin say 30

Old 04-29-2020, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I read an article from bob the oil guy about replacing the bypass valve in the block with a 30 pound one from GM. Is this necessary? Also where would you mount the filters? To the inner fender or to the firewall?

Old 05-03-2020, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've taken Brad's advise and bought a bypass system. I've done a ton of googling about the subject, and have read tons of arguments; but the folks that use them, swear by them; and the haters don't seem to have any real experience on the subject.
I found an older NOS Amsoil unit for $45 bucks, and found NOS spin on cartridges too. These claim something like 97% @ 3 micron.
I've seen complete NOS Frantz filters on ebay for around $100 bucks...

Seems like a small price to pay. My "budget" engine cost almost 8K.
$100-$200 bucks to keep it clean is nothing.

I don't think they look that bad either, but there is plenty of room to hide one behind the battery in a 71-72 GTO.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the HP-2006. The nut on the bottom makes my life easier. Also, I change the oil every year and only drive 1k miles or so at most, so I can't see an advantage to a bigger filter.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:07 PM
Suspended

I have been enjoying this conversation. Like all things, I think the use of a by-pass filter is a matter of opinion. It may allow your engine to live longer, but if I get 100,000 miles out of my fresh re-build, that's maybe 3,000 miles a year, or 33 years from now, I'll be dead - so what does it really matter?

I have never had a remote oil filter on any car I have owned, but think they can give that "cool" or "wow" factor at a car show or cruise-in. I think if running headers, they can be an advantage, and it keeps heat off the filter housing.

I did my research as most of us do and felt the single large filter was better than 2 smaller singles. I went with Nitemare Performance's remote oil filter set-up.

I too had my doubts about using one as you will read a good amount of negative reasons as not to use one. So I emailed Darrin at Nightmare to clear up the BS. He said this set-up mounts on the firewall and has short lines as opposed to longer lines and mounting elsewhere in the engine bay. Yes, the lines will drain back of their oil, but the filter does not. The longer lines can be where the problem comes in. It will take about 2 seconds for oil pressure to come up with the short lines and he said to allow the engine to idle low to let pressure build. The bearings have oil on them when they first start, so really not an issue for the first few seconds. I plan on an ignition kill switch so I can crank the engine a few times before flipping the switch to fire it up.

This set-up also allows the oil to run cooler and he said he has seen a 7-HP increase from its use over the stock filter set-up. He also said there was no issues in oil pressure loss. So I bought the complete kit, but for me, it is about the looks. I also have Doug's headers so I figured this also gets the filter away from the heat and should be easier to change filters with less mess. I won't be running a heater core/fan, so I have plenty of firewall space to mount it.

Additionally, I purchased an aluminum heat sink which is designed to wrap around a small spin on filter. I purchased one is blue anodized and sanded off the end edges of the fins to bring out the natural aluminum for contrast. I couldn't tell you if it works or not, but I wanted to dress up the big oil canister. The heat sink is too small for the large oil filter, so I did have to cut the heat sink up on the back side removing that area having the hold down screws and spread it open to fit the big filter. Worked good in fit. It is a snug fit and I'll use a large band clamp to hold it up in place.

BTW, oil bypass filters were an option on some of the "older" cars of the 1940's & 1950's. Here is a photo of my 1948 International KB5 truck engine with its oil by-pass filter - that larger grey canister with the oil lines coming out of it. It uses a "sock" which almost looks like a filter made of twine wrapped all around. NAPA still makes them and they drop right in.

So this is my 2 cents in this conversation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nitemare - Remote Oil Filter Kit.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	539069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Filter Cooling Sleeve.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	539070   Click image for larger version

Name:	03  Steering box - adj.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	539073  

Old 05-03-2020, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have never worn out a hot rod engine, seems like they get limited use and wind up doing a refresh for an upgrade, trade it for something else, etc., long before the rings and bearings wear out. My plan is just basic maintenance, drive the car as much as I can and not worrying about trying to take every last preventative measure. If I wear this one out, I will do better next time.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Digging up an old thread here the dual filter kit I have used the small 3/4 thread ford style filters but the adapters screw out and I was able to get a stand alone filter head unit to run a Pontiac filter in place of the dinky fords so I will have two filters on the lower firewal. What is the tallest filter that will thread to factory Pontiac threads. I would like a Baldwin or Wix or the new Purokator Boss line ideally I keep getting conflicting information depending on what search engine I use.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As I've told you before, use the manufacturer's website (WIX, Baldwin or Purolator) for reliable and accurate specifications...

Old 07-12-2020, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
As I've told you before, use the manufacturer's website (WIX, Baldwin or Purolator) for reliable and accurate specifications...
I can and have used the online cross reference. It tells me what crosses but it doesn’t give me measurements or at least I can’t find them. I want a good sized filter not the small ones that clear my headers I am using now

Old 07-12-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I can and have used the online cross reference. It tells me what crosses but it doesn’t give me measurements or at least I can’t find them. I want a good sized filter not the small ones that clear my headers I am using now
In under two minutes I found this on the Wix filters website https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/FilterBySize.aspx obviously you are going to have to search what the thread size of the filter head is for your required application and follow the drop down menu in the link to find a filter that will work for your needs. Cummins filtration (fleetguard) also has an excellent filter site with tonnes of sizes and cross reference applications

If the link doesn't work go to the Wix site on the top header click filter look up, Then filter size/dimensions and search away.

Old 07-12-2020, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

WIX Part Number: 51049

https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Ex...x?PartNo=51049

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 07-12-2020, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know how you installing 2 filters that don't filter any better than just one is, supposed to do. If you are going to run a remote filter, just make it a ByPass Filter, and keep a small filter on the engine.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We can start splitting hairs......the Baldwin B9 is 0.197" longer than the WIX 51049

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 07-12-2020, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
You really didn't try very hard as they are easy to find.

For the WIX site, when it shows you the WIX application part number, the part number is in BLUE, which is a hyperlink to the specs. CLICK on the part number and it gives you all the dimensions.

Baldwin works the same way.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran a single remote oil filter on a '66 GTO from 1981 to 1991 with no issues. The only reason I used it was because of lack of clearance due to my headers. It used a Ford full size filter, and I used a WIX filter. That engine is currently in my '65 GTO with a regular large WIX filter mounted to the factory housing on the engine block. (headers clear in this case). I never cared for the look of the firewall mounted unit on the '66, but it worked fine and made oil filter changes a breeze. Just my 2 cents......I would not run a dual filter system. Not needed and more clutter in the engine bay.