THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
Yesterday my wife.. who is Mexican and speaks Spanish.. went over and talked to the guys wife.. needless to say.. we got invited to their 4th of July party and she exchanged phone numbers..
Sounds like your wife is a keeper

Old 06-23-2020, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm lucky also for the last 20 years since I moved to unincorporated county. I'm on an acre and my neighbors are cool and we get along great. One is a Snap-on dealer/equipment operator who is into old Chevy trucks and the other owns a landscaping business. He's always apologizing for the vehicles going in and out. I said you don't have to say your sorry for that! It's your business.
I feel sorry for anyone with a jerk for a neighbor. The last house I lived in the neighbor was a nightmare, her and her crazy husband drove me nuts. They were running extension cords to my outside outlet and a hose stealing my power and water! Unbelievable.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 06-23-2020, 03:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard T. Moreno View Post
Hello
and a hearty "hello" to you, too!

Old 06-23-2020, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a moron diagonally across the street with a Porsche Boxster that every time he comes home usually around 11 or 12 at night he revs it to redline on and off until flames come out of his exhaust. Then when he leaves he backs out then leaves at literally wide open throttle every time. Talk about a jerk. I will say it is a testament to Porsche engines though, because I keep waiting for the day he blows that thing up and yet it hangs on. The guy is about 40 and still lives with his parents, you'd think they would say something...Upshot is the house is up for sale.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 06-23-2020, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
We had an “eccentric” old lady that lived across the street from us. Retired veterinarian, kept to herself, her next door neighbor kept her yard cut, seemed like no problem. One day her house caught fire. Burned it just bad enough to be uninhabitable but not to the ground. Find out the old lady has no home owners so she just abandons the house. After a few months we start getting a rodent and bug problem, all the surrounding neighbors do. Go over there and it’s a burnt down hoarders paradise, she was truly living in nasty conditions and the fire just added to the glory. She is no where to be found and the county has the property up for auction starting in November. Opening bid is back taxes owed of 640 and some change. I am gonna bid 1500 just for fun since we are on a privately owned non county road and I don’t think many people will look at it. If I get it I am gonna bulldoze it and build a shop across the street instead of ruining my backyard
Best Idea you've ever had, seriously. Go for it!!! A shop is a true game changer, and if it doesn't impact your yard, a total win. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
My neighbor to the north:

You need a better tree line...

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 06-23-2020, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
We had an “eccentric” old lady that lived across the street from us. Retired veterinarian, kept to herself, her next door neighbor kept her yard cut, seemed like no problem. One day her house caught fire. Burned it just bad enough to be uninhabitable but not to the ground. Find out the old lady has no home owners so she just abandons the house. After a few months we start getting a rodent and bug problem, all the surrounding neighbors do. Go over there and it’s a burnt down hoarders paradise, she was truly living in nasty conditions and the fire just added to the glory. She is no where to be found and the county has the property up for auction starting in November. Opening bid is back taxes owed of 640 and some change. I am gonna bid 1500 just for fun since we are on a privately owned non county road and I don’t think many people will look at it. If I get it I am gonna bulldoze it and build a shop across the street instead of ruining my backyard
You will be surprised how many people show up. Don't forget its advertised and there are people who do that for a living. If it were me I would bid all the way up to lot value. You could get another bad neighbor. If you get it cheap enough you get a nice buffer and possible garage spot.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith, looks like you wouldn't have to travel to a wrecking yard, when you have one adjacent to your property...............

When one lives in a rural area that has farmland close you'll run into the landowner that never throws anything away, because the depression mindset is to, never throw anything away that you might need in the future.

There's a family homestead about half a mile from me, that 2 brothers and their kids live on, they have so much farm equipment, construction equipment, cars, and trucks stored around their 5 houses and one mobile home it looks like a wrecking yard with houses in the middle of it.

My father would be 105 if he hadn't passed in 2007, my mother is just a few months shy of 99 YO, they both saved everything that they thought, "they might need someday".

I can testify that that mindset is passed down, because I tend to save a bunch of things I can re-purpose to something else. As I get older I find myself asking, do you really ever think you're going to use that before your expiration date comes due? I've gotten a lot better about tossing things that I'll probably never use than I used to be.

I believe that depression mindset is a reason there are so many hoarders that they could make a TV series about it.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-23-2020, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been blessed with good nieb's on 3 sides since 85. There's a creek thru corner of back yard and 1000's acres of wooded wet lands beyond, so that's good. Used to hunt from back yard...
We all help each other and take care of pets and homes when some ones away on vacation.
Nieb across street built a retirement cabin on lake front up in Michigan.
House went up for sale Monday. Fingers crossed...

Do have one guy across street 2 lots over plays music so loud during summer in his back yard open screened man cave for yrs. I can hear it clearly when outside.
Don't even have it that loud in garage while working in there. Least its classic rock so turn mine off when he's jamming noon till some times 1am...
Cant believe niebs on either side haven't called PD.

Another across street 2 lots over other way likes to shoot fireworks every so often year round...

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 06-23-2020, 04:41 PM
Senior Chief

"I believe that depression mindset is a reason there are so many hoarders that they could make a TV series about it."

That is 100% correct. Yet here I am, throwing **** out and knowing full well I'll probably have to guy buy another one within 12 months.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 06-23-2020, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm waiting for my wife to decide what kind of fence she wants...

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2020, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
I have a moron diagonally across the street with a Porsche Boxster that every time he comes home usually around 11 or 12 at night he revs it to redline on and off until flames come out of his exhaust. Then when he leaves he backs out then leaves at literally wide open throttle every time. Talk about a jerk. I will say it is a testament to Porsche engines though, because I keep waiting for the day he blows that thing up and yet it hangs on. The guy is about 40 and still lives with his parents, you'd think they would say something...Upshot is the house is up for sale.
My brother in law had a neighbor like that, except the guy was in his 20’s driving a Camaro. My BIL shoved potatoes in the guys mufflers one night, and he never heard the car run again.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
The Following User Says Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2020, 05:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We had a speed shop move in that backs up to our houses. All damn day I have to hear that Dyno. Apparently they build some cool stuff- I wouldn’t really know because only times I have been in there is to yell at the owner. I asked him why doesn’t he close the door when they use the dyno and he said I must be crazy- so I know how loud that would be???

Stupid place to put a shop that is going to make that much noise. HOA has sent letters and threatened to sue but thinks it isn’t worth it since it only effects a few houses.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
... the depression mindset is to, never throw anything away that you might need in the future.

My father would be 105 if he hadn't passed in 2007, my mother is just a few months shy of 99 YO, they both saved everything that they thought, "they might need someday".

I can testify that that mindset is passed down, because I tend to save a bunch of things I can re-purpose to something else. ...
You call it a "depression mindset", for me, it's more practically described as "the mindset of an immigrant with nothing to their name";
Both sides of my family were sponsored to move to southern Alberta (approximately north of Great Falls Montana) in 1948 from Germany;

My brothers are not as bad as me (I'm second generation Canadian), but I still find myself hanging onto crap - the real amusing thing is how sometimes it's surprising how handy this junk can be.

I'm getting better at it, because like you suggested, I too have become more aware of it.

A poor... or maybe good example is a couple years ago, my youngest brother's neighbour passed;
He never had kids, and was in his late nineties;
I believe his nephew dealt with his property, and most of it went straight into a garbage bin;
He told my brother that if he wanted anything to just take it.
I actually grabbed a bunch of stuff from the bin, and use some of it all the time;
The best grabs were a heavy iron rod for breaking ice, and a great lawn edger (with extra unused wooden handles).
Each of my brothers grabbed an item or two, but I was in full-on treasure hunting mode!
har-har!

I did say I am getting better, but I also do amuse myself with examples like "Fred's" stuff.
He was a super nice guy, I have a small chuckle every time I grab one of his tings, or dig into a box full of "his" household hardware

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-23-2020, 05:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
We had a speed shop move in that backs up to our houses. All damn day I have to hear that Dyno. Apparently they build some cool stuff- I wouldn’t really know because only times I have been in there is to yell at the owner. I asked him why doesn’t he close the door when they use the dyno and he said I must be crazy- so I know how loud that would be???

Stupid place to put a shop that is going to make that much noise. HOA has sent letters and threatened to sue but thinks it isn’t worth it since it only effects a few houses.
What does the zoning look like for the area? Commercial enterprise in a neighborhood?

Old 06-23-2020, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
My brother in law had a neighbor like that, except the guy was in his 20’s driving a Camaro. My BIL shoved potatoes in the guys mufflers one night, and he never heard the car run again.
I would love to do that. My car is pretty loud, 3" "X" pipe to the mufflers that dump before the axle...I come and go respectfully. I was thinking of putting on my old tires and do John Force smoky burnout...But then I would have to look at the black marks myself. I don't shti where I eat.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You never quite know who your neighbors may end up being. Worked my butt off for 35 years. Finally was able to move out in the country and buy the "perfect" house, a acre of land , pole barn room for 6 cars under roof. Across the street, a 260 acre corn field. One year later, the corn field is sold and they break ground for a 850,000 square ft. Chewy.com mega warehouse right across the street. 1800 employees working 3 shifts, 24/7. One semi drives by my house every 45 seconds around the clock. Super loud rap music blasting in the parking lot on every break, car alarms going off non stop around the clock. "Country living at it's finest". Life goes on.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2020, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Because I build, and fabricate everything I can from scratch, I never throw any steel away. Picking up used bed frames, used pipe, angle iron, C channel, and I beam, is my weakness.

My wife has said in the past, "Why don't you get rid of that metal, and take it to the scrap yard"? I picked up a piece of square tubing and asked her "how much do you think that would cost if I went to the steel supply and bought it new"? She said, like $10, nope, it's worth maybe $1 at the scrap yard, if I scrapped it, $120 if I bought it new. I got a reprieve about throwing away used steel after that........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-23-2020, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well the lot value is about 5000 but.....the neighborhood has a covenant, if you buy a lot (only two remaining) you can’t do anything with it but build a house of no less than 1800 sq ft no shops etc. for the first 13 years of ownership, plus there are all kinds of stipulations in the convenant. I am grandfathered because I’m an original owner. I can build a strip club on it if I want to. Only 7 houses on the cul de sac and no home owners assoc or anything like that. The only thing permanently binding is no farm animals.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well the lot value is about 5000 but.....the neighborhood has a covenant, if you buy a lot (only two remaining) you can’t do anything with it but build a house of no less than 1800 sq ft no shops etc. for the first 13 years of ownership, plus there are all kinds of stipulations in the convenant. I am grandfathered because I’m an original owner. I can build a strip club on it if I want to. Only 7 houses on the cul de sac and no home owners assoc or anything like that. The only thing permanently binding is no farm animals.
I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but....

While you are "grandfathered" in your current lot, I wouldn't be so sure that if you purchase this lot across the street that you wouldn't be bound by the covenant.

I totally get the desire to build a shop, but the neighborhood covenants are there to protect all residents.