THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:14 PM

Default 455 value

Looking at a 1975 455 with auto trans. Complete top to bottom- with all the pulleys, exhaust manifolds and motor mounts. Guy said he bought from some kid who pulled out to swap in a chevy crate motor. No idea about what the inside looks like.

What do u think value is?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Old 07-12-2020, 09:30 PM

$475.00

Old 07-12-2020, 09:33 PM
Senior Chief

Will the crank turn, $500

Old 07-12-2020, 09:38 PM

It's a wy code motor.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:40 PM

Is that factoring in price of trans with it?

Old 07-12-2020, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a 75 so it has a non concentric rope seal area. This means putting a 2 piece seal in it could be an issue. I would recommend the new rope seals. Casting in 75 is for low performance. Can be a really great driver with stock crank and rods though.
Edit: My machine shop owner and I did a AERA
Bulletin on the issue above. One block rope seal rough casting area was over 12 thousandths to one side. Leaked like a pisser too with a 2 piece seal. Pontiac never machined these for any sort of seal besides a old school rope.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...Casting in 75 is for low performance..."

I've actually read that the casting #500813 '75-'76 455 blocks are stronger, because they don't have the outer holes drilled in the main webs. This should make the webs stronger, if you're gonna use 2-bolt caps.

Don't think the 455 blocks had the thin main webs like the 500 series 350 & 400 blocks had. If this is not correct, somebody please post that info, along with close-up pics showing that the webs are thinner. Thanks.

All the 455 blocks I used had the outer holes drilled, but came with 2-bolt caps.

Written by Rocky Rotella:

"...The PN 485428 was replaced by the PN 500813 for 1975. Unlike PN 500557 400 block, which was lightened for improved economy, the PN 500813 455 was as robust as any earlier example. Unlike its predecessors, however, it was drilled and tapped for two-bolt caps only. It went on unchanged for 1976 and was quietly dropped at the end of that model year..."

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/pick...rformance-use/

Last edited by ponyakr; 07-13-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it runs 500-800 all the brackets and pulleys are worth 100+ HEI 50+ it’s harder to find one complete with all the parts that will add up quick if you have to start getting them one at a time.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd pay a grand for it and be happy. Rounding up all the pulleys and brackets is a PITA. The 75-76 455s had no harmonic balancer IIRC. A custom balance job is a good idea when rebuilding for HiPo use. The heads and intake are worthless.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A complete factory piston 455 that turns over and has everything attached to it ready to go is $1000 minimum all day long. If it ran great and you could hear it run before being pulled, $2000. You don't say what transmission is attached. A TH350 or short tail TH400 is worth $150-200 as a core and a little more if in great shape. A long shaft TH400 or TH375 is worth considerably less solely because less people want them.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
It's a 75 so it has a non concentric rope seal area. This means putting a 2 piece seal in it could be an issue. I would recommend the new rope seals. Casting in 75 is for low performance. Can be a really great driver with stock crank and rods though.
Edit: My machine shop owner and I did a AERA
Bulletin on the issue above. One block rope seal rough casting area was over 12 thousandths to one side. Leaked like a pisser too with a 2 piece seal. Pontiac never machined these for any sort of seal besides a old school rope.
Once again, learning something new to me at least. What year did Pontiac STOP machining the seal groove in a concentric manner? What engines? 3.25" only or all of them including 3" ? Thanks for the new info. BTW, I have had good luck using the Best Rope seals anyway, when a lip seal wasn't a good option.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
A complete factory piston 455 that turns over and has everything attached to it ready to go is $1000 minimum all day long. If it ran great and you could hear it run before being pulled, $2000. You don't say what transmission is attached. A TH350 or short tail TH400 is worth $150-200 as a core and a little more if in great shape. A long shaft TH400 or TH375 is worth considerably less solely because less people want them.
I agree with these numbers. Any less would be a better deal of course. In 1994 I bought 3, 455 engines from the same junk yard in Atlanta for $1500.00. It was a great deal at the time and I drove from Dayton, OH to Atlanta to make the deal. They were complete from oil pan to air cleaner. $500.00 each was a deal 26 years ago! 45 year old complete engines.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigger=better View Post
It's a wy code motor.
WY or YW?

Clay

Old 07-13-2020, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The local wrecking yard in my home town back in the mid 90s used to get a buck a cube for any of the engines over 350 inches. This wasn't for a running engine, it was for a rebuildable core. It may, or may not, have all the external accessories on it. A rebuildable core was, intact block with no cracks, able to be cleaned up with standard oversize pistons, crankshaft that could be turned to cleanup standard undersizes, 2 rebuildable cylinder heads, connecting rods able to be resized if necessary. Sheetmetal parts were optional.

Factoring in that there have been zero new 455s made in this time period and the supply is dwindling, I would say that the value should have doubled at this point. $910, then add in the accessories to that figure. I would imagine a 455 with all the pulleys and distributor would go for $1000 minimum, to possibly $1200.

If I were to sell any of my 455s, that would be the formula I'd be using, FWIW.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

agree there are some deals out there, but anyting in the 1k range for a rebuildable short block with accesories is a deal. Now that being said, i got a fantastic deal on a rebuilt 455, turbo 400, and msd stuff, guy had sold the car, (40 Chevy coupe) and new owner did not want the pontiac in it. they are just very hard to find.

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 07-13-2020, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Once again, learning something new to me at least. What year did Pontiac STOP machining the seal groove in a concentric manner? What engines? 3.25" only or all of them including 3" ? Thanks for the new info. BTW, I have had good luck using the Best Rope seals anyway, when a lip seal wasn't a good option.
Pontiac NEVER machined the crank seal area,even on 400's, 350's, etc. BUT, the castings were much more concentric to the crank in pre '75 455 Blocks.
So, Ropes, as you use , are the best for these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	455techBulletin012.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	544910   Click image for larger version

Name:	455techBulletin02 (2).jpg
Views:	137
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	544911  

Old 07-13-2020, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
"...Casting in 75 is for low performance..."

I've actually read that the casting #500813 '75-'76 455 blocks are stronger, because they don't have the outer holes drilled in the main webs. This should make the webs stronger, if you're gonna use 2-bolt caps.

Don't think the 455 blocks had the thin main webs like the 500 series 350 & 400 blocks had. If this is not correct, somebody please post that info, along with close-up pics showing that the webs are thinner. Thanks.

All the 455 blocks I used had the outer holes drilled, but came with 2-bolt caps.

Written by Rocky Rotella:

"...The PN 485428 was replaced by the PN 500813 for 1975. Unlike PN 500557 400 block, which was lightened for improved economy, the PN 500813 455 was as robust as any earlier example. Unlike its predecessors, however, it was drilled and tapped for two-bolt caps only. It went on unchanged for 1976 and was quietly dropped at the end of that model year..."

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/pick...rformance-use/
Somewhere I have the metallurgy on these blocks as I looked for it after we got the info for the AERA bulletin done. There is less Nickle, that much I do know.
From the factory, they were all LOW performance usage and basically Torque to move the bigger cars. The '75 HO is a stock entire line 455 with a sticker.
Rocky is right that they can be great builders, I am just relating some experience and some facts. I took the measurements and pictures on the 455 blocks used in the Bulletin.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, I bought a complete '73 455 found local to me just before this past Christmas. Advertised on Craigslist as a '72. I forget what his asking price was, I made an offer, he countered at $675 and I took it. I was looking for a "correct enough" 455 for my '73 TA project. The ad said 4X heads so I called. After checking the block cast date, it proved to be perfect for what I wanted. He found it in a running '79 TA (looked pretty rough to me so I'm guessing it wasn't running all that great either). He planned to build the TA for racing, had no use for the engine. No trans and no air cleaner but everything else is there. He had pulled the heads and intake/QJet off it. Oil pan, timing chain cover, and balancer remained in place and he also included the non-original HEI dist and water pump (no Pontiac p/n on it), alt, PS set-up, motor mounts, exh manifolds, much of it appears original to the '73.

Same day bought a used engine hoist off another guy on Marketplace for $125. Needed that to unload it, so all in all $800. The hoist is old but pretty stout.

I thought the price was fair. Haven't started to build it so could still be surprises ahead. I saw lots of built 455s asking thousands. I had no interest in that, my budget only allows small expenses at a time. I saw other complete rebuildable 455s at a wide range of prices but distance was problematic. I just missed on one previously that was advertised at about $1200 IIRC. I might have gone for that one if I wasn't late on the draw although it was a lot farther away. I saw blocks advertised for hundreds. That could have worked for me since I'm not sure how stock I want to keep the engine. But getting everything in one fell swoop gives me some options. And I agree, pain in the butt to chase down individual parts and usually more expensive.

I could be way off base, but my impression is that the availability of aftermarket Pontiac blocks has changed the market demand. Also, more guys seem to want to build a stroked 400 with small crank journals these days. Fewer 455 blocks remain compared to 30 years ago but I suspect the demand for them has fallen even more.

I was in no rush to buy mine. So kept looking until I found the right deal. You'll generally pay more if you can't afford to be patient.

Flip it around. The guy who sold a 455 to me might still be storing it if he wanted $1200. Patient sellers can get a better price but might take some time. But a guy who just wants it gone will sell for a lower price, sometimes a significantly lower price.

I wouldn't have given a plugged nickel for a '75 455. Not because it is a bad engine but because I specifically wanted a '73 455.

I believe it might sell quickly for $500. At $1000 or more, I figure it could advertise on Craigslist for weeks on end. If there is an active Pontiac car club in your area, advertise it with them, you might do better. Advertise it here and in Smoke Signals and maybe The Legend plus other Pontiac only places to get max exposure to interested hobbyists.

Between my 1980 ownership of my TA and reacquiring it a few years ago, a prior owner had swapped out the Pontiac 455 and 4 spd for an Olds 403 and TH400. When I considered repurchasing, I looked at the value of the 403 and TH400. I figured I might make a few bucks parting the 403. The TH400 seemed like a $50-$100 trans at best based on lots of them not selling at those prices. If I thought it was really worth anything, I might actually put some effort into getting rid of it. I have no idea if it is a short tail or not, guess I should look into that.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:03 PM
Senior Chief

Not running, I'm still at $500 given that it is a 75 2 bolt block.

You get a rebuildable block core that the only internal parts I would consider reusing on the build is the crank and windage tray (if it even has one). Externally having timing cover, all the brackets, accessories and bolts is a plus.

Finally, the carb, distributor and valve covers might get reused on a build, but very little else.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Pontiac world is a small niche in the car hobby world. It’s still a LS driven hobby. Not many give a hoot about Pontiacs. The price depends upon what I’ve got to spend. There are folks that have $$$ to spend on whatever they want. I don’t live in that world.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...