Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-06-2007, 06:57 PM

Default 389 +.060 or 400 standard pistons

I'm looking for 389 +.060 or 400 standard pistons. Dished for a 9.5 to 1 compression or lower rebuild. My machinist said he could machine a dish in a set of flat top pistons but that would cost me another $150.00. I Checked with the big guys (Summit & Jeggs) and it sounds like the Keith Blacks are on back order.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

bej

Old 10-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would post a wanted ad here for the pistons.I bought a set of 60 over 400 forged pistons here,slightly used and balanced!Worth a shot.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep in mind the heads and cam you will be using. 389s had a different valve angle than 400s did, thus the valve reliefs in the pistons are different. If you will be running a high lift cam this could be important.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Suspended

just dish the standard 400 forged pistons and then don't worry about the valve reliefs. dishing will remove reliefs.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Boost Engineer

I ran a 400 std piston on my 389 engine and checked the cam lift vs the piston position with a .590 lift camshaft. I still had lots of P/V clearance.

I really doubt if you would even come close to the piston with a stock camshaft and if you did a dish on the 400 piston, (lots of meat there) you would probably be very safe with even a high lift camshaft.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:39 PM

Any ideas as to were to find a set of above said pistons?????

Old 10-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Boost Engineer

I might have a spare set on the shelf of new ones but they can still be bought. Mine are pretty dirty and the box is pretty old but I kept them as back-ups for my 389 engine.
I really do not want to part with them. They are out there.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, I know EXACTLY where they can be bought! That is, here or most other engine building shops in North America! Not rocket science. A "simple" dish is all that's needed. $150 labor to do that is about double what the job takes. Unless they're the new forgings, it's a GOOD thing, KBs aren't available. Get Speed Pro L2262F (std.) and dish them, and be done with it!

One thing to watch for: some 389 crankshafts have fatter counterweights than others, and can interfere with the piston skirt. This isn't usually a problem, but it must be "checked".

Jim