Old 10-09-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Brought home a 65 2+2 convertible 421 HO today

Brought home a 65 2+2 convertible 421 HO today. Triple white car! Eight-lugs, Turbo 400 Auto, 3.55.1 safety trac, YK code 421 HO Tripower. This car is basically still all stock. Been sitting for about 12 years. Rust in the lower corners of most panels but a sold frame and everywhere else that counts. The only thing it's missing is the Glove box door and the right rear QP emblem. Got the PHS on it today and it all checks out!!!

See pic above and one at Public profile page of under hood Tripower!.

Sorry tried to post pics but there too big i guess!

Brian Jones

Last edited by bej; 10-10-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:18 PM

now that's a score! a 4spd would have made it almost perfect but we can't have it all every time.

is it a driver?

get us some pics soon.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 PM

It has not been started in years but the oil looked good on the dip stick and there was still antifreeze in the radiator and the block. A little rough and panels pretty rusty down low, sold frame not exactly a driver but almost total complete. I'll have to try and re size the pics and post more. I was able to put the under hood pic on my sig page. Sold new in Olympia, Washington. I bought it from the second owner still in the Olympia area.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Nice Find

Now that's exciting! Try to get some pictures up.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Like I posted in the lobby, you have a very rare car, and a great piece of Pontiac History. That motor alone is worth at least 3 grand. Check and see if it is a posi, look for the tag on the rear and when you get a chance look for the code. It will be a two letter code on the passenger side tube on the rear. Hopefully the code will start with a V. Man, get those pictures up. A triple white car at that. You got very lucky my friend. And if you find yourself where you cant fix it or you have to sell it you will not have a problem getting rid of it. To a east coast guy, that thing is gold.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Last edited by Hitman; 10-10-2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I posted this in the Lobby, but I'll put it here as well: there were 11,519 2+2's built in 1965, both hardtop and convertibles, but no breakout is available as to how many of each were built. 5,316 were automatics and 6,205 had manual transmissions (either 3 or 4 speed.)

Old 10-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I asked the same question a couple years ago. Mine is a 3sp manual HO Convertible.
If you are in Washington start planning now to bring you car to Norwalk Oh for the Ames Performance Engineering Tri-Power Nationals. We (darksiders) would really like to see your car.
On your phs you should have recieved the engine code break down.
There were 1008 WJ's produced in 65' How many were in 2+2's is not known
But at least I know I have one of 1008
Congratulations on a really, really, really nice car.

Patrick

ps use irfan view-(free download) to resize your pictures.

pss Mike we all know the 4sp was too week to handle the torque of the HO. That is why the 3sp is better. Plus one less gear to grab.lol imo

Old 10-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably has to be one of the coolest cars to come out of that era. Nice find.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:41 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Check and see if it is a posi, look for the tag on the rear and when you get a chance look for the code. It will be a two letter code on the passenger side tube on the rear. Hopefully the code will start with a V. .

I was told it is a 3.55.1 safety trac. That is a posi or limited slip correct???

I will check for the code and let you know.

I got the details of the PHS report over the phone from PHS rep as I was looking at the car getting ready to make the offer. Talk about good timing. The full report is in the mail.

Interesting to note that the rear end package was not noted on the report as per the person I was talking too on the phone but I'll double check when I get the report in the mail

Old 10-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Safe-t-trac is a posi. Either way you have one helluva setup there, HO, posi, convert that car will bring serious money when done, you have picked a good one.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Safe-t-trac is a posi. Either way you have one helluva setup there, HO, posi, convert that car will bring serious money when done, you have picked a good one.

Well thank you, and I have picked a couple other good ones in the past.

Almost done with a frame off on the 64 GTO convertible project I bought in 2003, Red on Red with a white top, 4sp, tripower.

I also have a 1970 mustang convertible original 428 cobra jet with ram air shaker 1 of 31 1970 convertibles equipped with the 428 cj "R"
code motor.

I just love Big Block drop tops

Brian

Old 10-10-2007, 05:16 PM

Well ya got mine beat. Mine is a 2+2 convert posi 4-speed, but only the 421/356 HP tripower not an HO. Color isn't the greatest either, but I drive it everywhere in any case. The numbers and date codes match up. Took the original 8 lugs off because they still worked and I didn't want that situation to change.

I'd trade just about anything, up to and including my wife, for that rare Stang.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	040906 003 resized.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	107423  

Old 10-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Suspended

Old 10-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice score, you are a true Darksider.

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Check and see if it is a posi, look for the tag on the rear and when you get a chance look for the code. It will be a two letter code on the passenger side tube on the rear. Hopefully the code will start with a V.
I just checked the Axle tube for the code and it is VF . There was no tag present on the cover bolts.

So what does VF stand for????

Thanks,

Brian

Old 10-10-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455RM

Pics Did you say????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2+2 pics .jpg
Views:	105
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	107458   Click image for larger version

Name:	2+2 pics 006.jpg smaller.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	107459   Click image for larger version

Name:	2+2 pics 010.jpg smaller.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	107460   Click image for larger version

Name:	2+2 pics 013.jpg smaller.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	107461   Click image for larger version

Name:	2+2 pics 007.jpg smaller.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	107462  

Old 10-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Suspended

F is 3.23, I believe. H is 3.55.

As for V, I'm not sure if that's for non-metallic linings or metallic.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

V is for safe-t-trac and the F is for 3.23, that is a great gear to burn the tires up with all the motor you have. I like it, it is not to bad. Are you going to do a frame off? That is going to make a very nice piece to have in a collection. Nice score.

And if you cannot tell, I am extremely jealous. I never paid too much attention when I grew up there in Federal Way, but I bet there are a bunch of those cars up there. My step dad had a 65 Bonneville Convertible and we would always go to a yard in Auburn where they had quite a few old Pontiacs that I remember but man that was 20+ years ago. Keep us posted, we love to hear the stories.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:52 PM

Thumbs up freaking awesome

That is a sweet car! None of my business but I'll ask anyway, what did you pay? It's ok if don't want to divuge...

also, a lot pontiac guys hate the term "big block"

"Not quite Prius mileage"
Old 10-11-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy1
That is a sweet car! None of my business but I'll ask anyway, what did you pay? It's ok if don't want to divuge...

also, a lot pontiac guys hate the term "big block"
I paid what the seller and I figured was a fair price for the car. So lets have some fun and here what you all think would be a fare price for the car.

Info to consider when determining the price:

It's needs small patches down low at nearly every panel. It also needs small patches at each of the four foot wells and in the trunk.

The only panel needing full replacement appears to be the trunk lid.

Numbers matching original drive train in working order.

So how Much did I pay?