Old 11-24-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Sorry for the dumb question!

My car came in baskets so it has been a challenge at times getting it back together as it is my first GTO project.

My question is does my car ( 64 GTO ) take a block plate between the engine block and the 4spd bell housing and if it does not, does it at least take a cover plate at the bottom of the bellhousing were the flywheel would be visible

I do have the correct 64 only bellhousing.

Pics would be great!

Thanks,

Brian

Old 11-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't really understand your term 'block plate'. Their is nothing between the block and the bellhousing. The 64 was a one year only bellhousing that was closed at the bottom, unlike the later years which had an inspection cover on the bottom of the bellhousing. That is IIRC.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 11-24-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H.
I don't really understand your term 'block plate'. Their is nothing between the block and the bellhousing. The 64 was a one year only bellhousing that was closed at the bottom, unlike the later years which had an inspection cover on the bottom of the bellhousing. That is IIRC.

Block plate Like on a Ford , you would have a flat piece of sheet metal that sandwiched between the engine block and the bellhousing on a four speed. this provided a cover also at the bottom of the bellhousing at the area were you would be able to see the flywheel other wise. At this point I'm guessing Pontiac does not use a block plate to cover the lower area of the bell housing and i need a small half moon cover plate that would go on to the lower couple of bolts holes of the bellhousing and cover the exposed area of the flywheel?.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a dustcover that goes between the lower portion of the bellhousing and the motor to keep debris out of the flywheel. I don't know if our host carries it, but OPG has it, part number G230004:

Old 11-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The piece that Pecosbill has posted is the correct one for 65 and newer. As I posted, the 65 bellhousing was a unique year and didn't have the 'open' space at the bottom of the bellhousing. So, the piece needed for it wouldn't have the 'flat' piece that is at the top of the one pictured. You could probably modify it to make it fit if you have the right 64 only bellhousing.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 11-25-2007, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jerry is correct; my 64 does not have the flat piece at the top of the picture. The one for the 64 is two dimensional, not 3; in other words, it is a flat piece of metal. It looks like you could modify the one in the picture if you couldn't turn one up on ebay or in the Parts Wanted section of this board.