Old 12-02-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Washington State Senator Warren G. Magnuson's parade car???

I had a guy call me the other day and said he thinks my car was originally owned by Washington State Senator Warren G. Magnuson in 1965

According too the caller he drove the car in a 1968 Lakefair parade in Washington state while the Senator and his wife sat on the top boot.

The guy i bought the car from said he thought the person that he bought it from was the original purchaser and told me that name (it was not Magnuson) but it seams that the Senator may have owned it as his parade car for a few years and then possible traded it in some time after the 1968 parade where he was seen riding in a triple white 2+2 Convertible.

I was going to wait till I order the complete title History on the car from the state of Washington. I was thinking this was not the car cause the guys said the one the senator had did not have eight lugs on it and i thought my car was a original eight lug car as it had them on it when i got it

But after a closer look at my PHS report i see it did not come with eight lug Aluminum wheel hubs.

So this may been the car owned by Washington Senator Warren G. Magnuson.

Kind of cool, Eh!

And yes i have been trying to find a pic of the senator in the car at that parade in 1968!!
Any help would be great.

After I get the title history i will post the final results

Brian

Old 12-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It may be worth a trip to the library to look at old microfilm and see if you see any pics of the parade.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 12-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found plenty of pictures of Warren Magnuson, but none of him in a Pontiac. Interestingly, he was born in Moorehead, MN and was the right age that he could well have been around town when my dad went to college there - I wonder if they ever met.

It appears there were a couple books written about him, I'll bet if you go to the local library or historical society they may have something.

I did find a picture of the 1965 Lakefair queen...
http://www.lakefair.org/Lakefair%20Queens.htm

Old 12-02-2007, 06:45 PM

Stuart, that's cool to find that Lady of the Lake history. Maybe if Bej can prove that that 2 + 2 was did belong to Senator Warren G. Magnuson, he could talk the parade people into having it in the parade in the future!
Dan

Old 12-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

strange thing about these queens... the tiaras seem to change about every 15-20 years. i wonder what happens that requires a tiara change? does it get lost or broken? one queen didn't even get to wear one. i wonder if that was a scandal.

anyhow, my high school graduation year queen was the last one to wear the peacock one after 23 years!

on a side note, i think the 1968 queen kind of looks like kirsten dunst. she would have been in your car.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did you e-mail the Lakefair office to see if they have any pictures from that year?

You'd think I'd be well qualified to answer this question, as I live/work in Olympia, am a '65 Pontiac fanatic, and am married to a former Lakefair Queen! On the other hand, I've never been to Lakefair (although I know there is a car show associated with it).

Where are you located? If you're not local I *might* be able to hit the library one day at lunch if I have some free time.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:58 PM

I'm in Portland Oregon. I see your in Olympia.

The car was sold new at Dick Lewis Pontiac/Cadillac In Olympia Washington. The car was locally owner in the Olympia area till I bought it in Oct, 07 and brought it back to Oregon.

I've sent in my request form for the complete vehicle title history to the Washington state Public disclosure office.
It's said to be a five working day wait for the report.

If the Senators name is on the report I'll get more aggressive in the search for further details.

Thanks.

Brian

Last edited by bej; 12-07-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'll be interested to hear what you get back with the title search - I was under the impression that they only go back 7-10 years - if they go all the way back i'll have to run it on a couple of my cars.

Do you happen have the exact address for Dick Lewis (did you get the window sticker)? The info on the dealer list on the ultimate GTO site has it listed at Plum & Union...that is only a couple of blocks from where I work. I'm thinking it was on the NE corner, but not certain.

They had a pretty sweet drag car back in the day:

http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showc...c=/pow/pow0034

Old 12-08-2007, 12:16 AM

No I dont have the address and Dick Lewis Pontiac was listed as being out of business.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dick Lewis was on the SE corner of Plum and Union. It was in the same location as Hoover Pontiac/Cadillac, the most recent dealer. He's been out of business a few years also.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac62
Dick Lewis was on the SE corner of Plum and Union. It was in the same location as Hoover Pontiac/Cadillac, the most recent dealer. He's been out of business a few years also.
Thanks - this makes sense...only lived in town for 3 years and still get my directions turned around when I go downtown for some reason. Looked at the map to get my bearings straight and that is the corner I was thinking of....can definitely envision a dealership there.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:19 PM

I just heard back from the Washington state title office and they only keep records back six years. I will have to find some other way to find out if the car was owned by Washington State Senator Warren G. Magnuson in 1968.

Brian Jones (bej)

Old 02-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found this picture and thought of this thread:

Going from memory I thought it might be a picture of the car you have, but I see now it's the wrong car and the wrong Governor...

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Chief

Lakefair is a celebration in Olympia WA, the state capital. My daughter Anna was a Lakefair Princess in 2000.

I would strongly suspect that Sen. Magnuson (Maggie) had the car in the Seattle Seafair parade instead, because the venue is about 50 times bigger than the Olympia Lakefair parade.

May the torque be with you.