Old 10-02-2020, 01:44 PM

Default Can I get a old Starter that works like New? That would be Kool

Hello everybody,

I hope you are doing good considering all that is happening thus far in 2020. I am in need of an original and good working Starter with heat shields. They tried one from a catalog but it does not have the muscle to turn the motor over like it should. The car is a 76 Pontiac Firebird Esprit 400, 6.6 liter, with a 4 speed Borg Warner Super T-10 transmission. If you have questions or need more information please email me at mlebednik@icloud.com. If you know where I might could find one I would appreciate the information. Thank you.

Mark Lebednik

Old 10-02-2020, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have a starter for the car now? What is it doing (or not doing?) More often than not, replacing the brushes and bearings along with a good cleanup will get a starter back in good working order. Sometimes the solenoid and/or the Bendix drive need replacement as well but they should be readily available.

Old 10-02-2020, 03:45 PM

Default Starter

Contact member 'stellar' on this forum. He is the go-to guy for this; easy to work with too.

Marc

Old 10-02-2020, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stellar is GREAT, bought a hard to find alternator from him, very nice restored condition.
If you are looking for a '76 Pontiac correct part number high torque starter core, believe I have one dated in late '75.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:55 PM
Suspended

Stellar will get the engine turning with a for real hi torque starter. We've been using them for decades. Its a real old time shop..

My buddys 62 Biscayne crapped out on him with only 2 miles to go to get it home, he put it in second (4:11) and cranked that starter when he needed to climb a hill.. That same starter is still working 10 years later without anything done to it!

Old 10-03-2020, 11:52 AM

Hey Stuart, Yes, the car has a Starter on it now. The one on it now does not have enough power or strength to turn the engine over like it should and when the car has warmed-up it sometimes won't do it at all. I took it to a shop to get some work done and they replaced my Starter. When I told them I needed it replaced they said it had to get swapped-out for the replacement. I feel certain they just wanted my good Starter off an antique car so they took it. Now I am searching for a replacement while they have a great starter that isn't their's. This Starter on it now sounds like a Starter working in slow motion, it is a long drawn-out engine turn over while trying to crank. No torque

Old 10-03-2020, 06:49 PM
Senior Chief

You might want to check some other things before swapping the starter again.

1. Check battery cable condition and connections.
2. Check and clean the ground connections.
3. Make sure your battery is good and fully charged.
4. Check your timing to make sure it isn't too far advanced.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID67goat View Post
You might want to check some other things before swapping the starter again.

1. Check battery cable condition and connections.
2. Check and clean the ground connections.
3. Make sure your battery is good and fully charged.
4. Check your timing to make sure it isn't too far advanced.
X2. It doesn't matter how good the starter is if there are other problems. Do the things listed above or take it back to the shop where it was put in and have them fix it. If the starter isn't working properly it should be under warranty. I believe the original starter should be an 1108759. It is a high torque starter.