Old 10-05-2020, 09:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Is anybody using Wilwood Discs?

I am looking at Wilwood brakes on my 65. Just curious what experiences people have had.

Thanks Greg

Old 10-05-2020, 10:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I put an entire 4-wheel disc brake system from Wilwood on the 65 Chevelle wagon. I installed the system as a manual brake system. They work really well. I was able to get pretty decent balance with a simple pressure limiter valve on the rear circuit.

I have a full build page on my web site. Go here and click on the "Brake System Upgrade" link.

http://www.macswebs.com/richl79/65tudorwagon/index.html

Old 10-05-2020, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been running Wilwood discs since 2013 with no issues. They were used when I purchased them along with GW tubular A arms and Koni coilovers from a customer of mine who was changing out the suspension on his '71 Tempest drag car. We did the front end changeover at his shop (and he put a fresh set of pads in) and then he aligned the front end.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0156.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	550925  

Old 10-05-2020, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very happy with them on my '65. I took all the "HIRE A PROFESSIONAL TO INSTALL YOUR BRAKES" warnings on the instructions to heart, and the results were dismal. If your brake rotor contacts your caliper when it's installed, call Wilwood to get a larger bracket to put between the backing plate and the caliper bracket - DON'T just put some washers in there like the guys who put mine on.

Wilwood's customer service is fantastic. I've spent quite a bit of time with them on the phone to sort all this out. My latest discovery is that one of my caliper pistons is stuck and will not move. I'm sending the caliper back to them for rebuilding - $40 plus parts.

Here's the thread on mine: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=842744

I've had a couple of experiences in the Pontiac where I was bracing for impact and was pleasantly surprised to find that the car stopped in time. They work great!

Old 10-05-2020, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Forgot to mention that I have a CPP hydroboost system powering mine.