THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lemans462 View Post
I guess I dont really see a problem personally. Old cars have inconveniences.. Do I expect my 50 year old car to be as easy as my modern vehicle to fill up with gas? Nope... Is my car as comfortable as a new car? NOPE... Does it handle as well? NOPE?

But I don't have to pull to the side of the road to find the correct portion of the dash screen to push to turn on the heater! Or change stations on the radio!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
But I don't have to pull to the side of the road to find the correct portion of the dash screen to push to turn on the heater! Or change stations on the radio!

Jon.

Honest to goodness!
My truck has the touch screen with all the controls built into it, depending on your ability to navigate the different layers. It's really not that difficult, but takes a bit of lite concentration, concentration probably better used in the actual driving process. The truck also has all the same functions for control of the various systems in a more "old school" form....buttons...knobs...switches etc.

Lets see, punch around on a touch screen getting to a place where I can turn down the volume or drop the temp a few degrees OR reach up and ,pretty much without taking my eyes off the road, rotate a knob or push a button to accomplish the same task......I'm going "old school" every time.........

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:17 PM

My problem is, bending down that low to fill the tank, my back isn’t as strong as it used to be, with degenerating discs. My other problem is the nozzle gets sucked onto the filler and being that low it’s a PITA to break the suction.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 10-15-2020, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Honest to goodness!
My truck has the touch screen with all the controls built into it, depending on your ability to navigate the different layers. It's really not that difficult, but takes a bit of lite concentration, concentration probably better used in the actual driving process. The truck also has all the same functions for control of the various systems in a more "old school" form....buttons...knobs...switches etc.

Lets see, punch around on a touch screen getting to a place where I can turn down the volume or drop the temp a few degrees OR reach up and ,pretty much without taking my eyes off the road, rotate a knob or push a button to accomplish the same task......I'm going "old school" every time.........
A message comes up every once in a while in my wife’s Suburban’s touch screen while driving. It says basically that it’s dangerous to look at the screen while driving. THEN you have to push a button on the touch screen to acknowledge the message to cancel it out! All while driving if coarse.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
The Following User Says Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
This is a super first world problems complaint, but putting gas in both my 67 and 64 sucks.

IDK if modern gas pumps are different, Im not as old as some of you guys. If you hold the pump down at full blast like normal, it backfills into the tube pretty quickly and shuts off the pump. It will also splash you if you are standing there. So rather than being able to put the lock on it and wait it out, I have to sit there and babysit the thing. Varying pressure when I hear it filling the tube. To get it full in either car I have to hold the pump and just about 20% throttle and let it creep up.

Anyone ever retrofit a modern style splash guard into a classic car fuel filler? I would certainly be willing to put in the work to swap one if there was one on the market.
I have the exact same problem with my 69 GTO, glad to hear it's not just me.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
This is a super first world problems complaint, but putting gas in both my 67 and 64 sucks.

IDK if modern gas pumps are different, Im not as old as some of you guys. If you hold the pump down at full blast like normal, it backfills into the tube pretty quickly and shuts off the pump. It will also splash you if you are standing there. So rather than being able to put the lock on it and wait it out, I have to sit there and babysit the thing. Varying pressure when I hear it filling the tube. To get it full in either car I have to hold the pump and just about 20% throttle and let it creep up.

Anyone ever retrofit a modern style splash guard into a classic car fuel filler? I would certainly be willing to put in the work to swap one if there was one on the market.
We daily drive our classics so I know exactly what you are talking about.

Over the years I've basically resorted to barely sticking the nozzle in, and lightly pulling the trigger maybe 20% and just slowly fill the tanks. It's just something I've gotten used to doing and is second nature.

I've even gotten to the point of knowing which stations have better pumps and which pump number at those stations have less sensitive nozzles, because they aren't all created equal it seems. I'm filling 2-3 classics up every week that we daily drive, sometimes more if I get something out that's been sitting a while.

A couple of the cars have filler necks that shoot straight out the back so filling them up at full throttle is impossible anyway, you'll never fail at splashing a gallon of fuel all over the car and on the ground trying that no matter how fast the nozzle clicks off.
I've even been to a couple of stations (Costco comes to mind) where they won't even let me fill the car. Soon as I start pumping slow they come out and shut the pump off, stating they don't allow top offs, lol. They can't seem to understand I'm pumping slow to keep from spilling because you can't pump full blast with the nozzle locked Can't fix stupid though.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-16-2020, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We did the body on this 69 Camaro for a guy with serious back problems. He could not bend to reach the stock filler location behind the license plate. Since we were all ready replacing the trunk floor and rear body panel, I ordered '68 Camaro pieces that we modified to fit to his '69 rear body panel. That included a '68 floor, gas tank, gas neck and rear panel to cut up.
These are the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4971.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	551545   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5152.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	551546   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5153.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	551547   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5290.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	551548  

Old 10-16-2020, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

More
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5296.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	551549   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5299.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	551550   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5308.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	551551   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5310.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	551552   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5345.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	551553  

Old 10-16-2020, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had no problem , except for splash-back when full, when filling my 1st 66 GTO or the 66 Tempest Custom, and for a short time with the 79 Formula Firebird (which wasn't as low as the 66 GTO and Tempest) I had. The filler neck was pretty well centered in the opening for both cars. Not so with the 66 GTO I have now. It seems the gas tank in this one is a replacement. The filler neck opening sits higher in the opening so I have to twist the gas nozzle to the side so it doesn't kick off and stop the flow of gas into the tank. Replacement gas tanks are not always correct for the filler neck.... as we've all found out with many other replacement parts.

You do realize that the gas nozzles are bigger now than back before they were changed for the regular non leaded gas pumps. That happened after I had bought my 79 Formula Firebird. With that car I had to pop out the metal ring that made the filler neck bigger to get the larger nozzle in the neck. As most have probably done already.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you meant to say the gas nozzles are smaller now. The old leaded nozzles were larger, and the unleaded cars coming out at the time had the filler necks with a reduced hole so that the larger leaded nozzles couldn't be used in the unleaded car.

It was very common to knock those out for those that wanted to run leaded fuels in their unleaded cars, when it was still available.

These days all nozzles are the same size now since everything is unleaded.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
More
expensive but clever solution.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You're right FJ. Larger now is correct.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
expensive but clever solution.

A small fraction of the cost of another back surgery.

Old 10-17-2020, 02:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talk about first world problems.

On my T/A I just select the grade, set the trigger hold down and wait until it's full. Usually I keep my knee against it so it doesn't come out, but that's it.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-21-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:

I have same issue with my 72 pontiac full size. I just fill at the first click on the handle and no issues. If I try to fill at full force it shuts off.

87 Grand National
Nothing stock

2014 Cadillac CTS V Sport Twin Turbo
Tune and cold air daily driver.

2019 CT6 BLACKWING
Old 10-21-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I think you meant to say the gas nozzles are smaller now. The old leaded nozzles were larger, and the unleaded cars coming out at the time had the filler necks with a reduced hole so that the larger leaded nozzles couldn't be used in the unleaded car.

It was very common to knock those out for those that wanted to run leaded fuels in their unleaded cars, when it was still available.

These days all nozzles are the same size now since everything is unleaded.
Not diesel. They still use the big nozzels at many locations.

87 Grand National
Nothing stock

2014 Cadillac CTS V Sport Twin Turbo
Tune and cold air daily driver.

2019 CT6 BLACKWING
Old 10-21-2020, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGACY_GN View Post
Not diesel. They still use the big nozzels at many locations.
Yeah different ball game. Us diesel owners never had to deal with trying to put leaded fuel in unleaded cars. Plus I would assume the bigger nozzle assembly moves more volume and fills up those 60-80 gallon tanks faster, lol.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:07 PM

Same issue with my 72....

Pump in the first few gallons at normal speed, splash back - shut off, then slow pump to possibly filled up...

Old 10-21-2020, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had wagons f body’s a body’s olds, Buick and Pontiac and a 70 Chevelle never had a problem with filling any of them as said before maybe splash if you let it fill to auto kick off.