THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-20-2020, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If anyone wants to go to the trouble it is an interesting exercise to research the volume of mail etc. various postal systems around the world process daily, the number of points delivered to, the size and population of the country, number of employees, and other factors. By this outfits analysis the USPS system ranks #7 in the world in 2020, behind Switzerland, Austria, Germany Netherlands, Japan, and France, all of which are much smaller countries in terns of land area, population, and volume sorted and delivered.

https://www.statista.com/chart/9877/...stal-services/

The Following User Says Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Surprising numbers there.

My package finally got here today .... looked at the address it was shipped from .. Albany NY, 30 minutes from my house. Took 13 days, heck I was in Albany last Thursday, I could have picked it up ... oh, that's right, they had moved it to MA by then, maybe they knew I was going to come get it

Old 10-20-2020, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any of the carriers are only as good as their employees. Some areas better than others.

But the virus and the safety protocols are playing havoc with delivery times. We have totally discontinued shipping outside of the USA until there is either a cure or a vaccine, and shipping improves.

When a customer in Canada doesn't have an order they paid for and we shipped 7 weeks ago, even when I have tracking, and they can check tracking, the customer is unhappy.

As far as back and forth with USPS, I had a package that I had order from California make it to Columbia Missouri (60 miles away), go back to Kansas City (this went on for 4 iterations) then back to California, then back to Kansas City, then Columbia, and finally it arrived.

Patience, especially during the pandemic.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:35 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Surprising numbers there.

My package finally got here today .... looked at the address it was shipped from .. Albany NY, 30 minutes from my house. Took 13 days, heck I was in Albany last Thursday, I could have picked it up ... oh, that's right, they had moved it to MA by then, maybe they knew I was going to come get it
Being in WNY myself, I have found I can get packages quicker from the south and mid west faster than I can from most places in NY.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:07 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by F ROCK View Post
LG getting sued for their refrigerators... a few others escape my memory right now...

Thanks for mentioning the LG. I had no idea about that but we are out some money on one of those fridges. I'll look into it.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:26 PM

I still sell a lot of items on Ebay although things have slowed down a bit, probably covid related. Between May and now I have sold about 50 items through Ebay. I would say 90% was shipped priority through USPS and about the same number of 90% was delivered in 3 days. I did have one package that I mailed to NM from CO go to CA first then to TX, OK and then to NM. That took 5 days so that was not cool plus it was a used 79 Chevy plastic grill. It arrived safe to buyer but took a weird road trip from USPS.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've noticed what helps tremendously when shipping ... proper labels in the proper places and properly attached.

I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but my package that took so long ... had the label in a strange place. It was a shoe-box shaped, but had the label on one of the small ends, not on the top like you would expect.

Old 10-22-2020, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered a battery for my Generator on the 19th and USPS said it would arrive on the 26th...it came yesterday. I was very surprised!

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 10-22-2020, 03:58 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I never really had any packages damaged by UPS. I had a few go MIA over the decades but can't recall any damaged.

You must be a USPS union postal worker.
Actually no, but I do like your thinking! I'm now retired BUT before retiring I worked at a winery that didn't make wine or ANY alcohol - so about the same I guess.

Honestly I've only had 3 packages destroyed by UPS - the one that fried me was I sent a box with gear oil in it and some other items. UPS ran a hand truck through the box (a guess on my part) and broke open 2 of the bottles re-boxed the good items and sent it back to me and tried to deny the claim. They did pay for the damaged items but I had to pay shipping back to Reno, NV again. The other 2 items they made good on no problem.

Oh, I call FedEx Federal Extortion - I'm not biased. I've got a nick name for almost everything - none of flattering. My wife says I have a negative attitude. I can't imagine why. LOL

Old 10-22-2020, 05:53 PM
Senior Chief

Back in April, when my headers were on their way from Oregon here to Michigan, it took longer to go around Michigan than it took to come to Michigan. It took 5 days to get to Michigan and almost 7 days once in Michigan to come to my house. I watched all of the tracking. I even offered to go and pick them up. My carrier said they had lots of absenteeism. He worked every day but he said a lot of his coworkers did not want to work. I wish all of the postal workers were like him. He was great. Now the younger ones that replaced him run over my lawn, garbage cans and lawn bags. They said they did not see them. Amazing.