THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:39 PM
Senior Chief

Default RattlyingWindows

I have a second gen Trans Am with electric windows. They have rattled for decades and have always been slow (getting slower with age like me :>). I put in new motors a few years ago, made no difference on slowness, and have adjusted the heck out of them to the point they are well lined up. I will work more on the speed, such as grounds etc. but the window bucket list has always been the rattling. In a few positions I can minimize the rattle but generally unless on brand new asphalt, they rattle pretty loud. My question is, is this the nature of the beast. Is changing out to new tracks etc. worth the effort, or do we all live with this. If that's the case, then I'm okay with it. I just don't know. I don't expect 2020 power window performance. Thanks.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had to replace the driver side window a few years back and had everything out to inspect and clean and adjust for better movement. Window is still slow but I don't have any rattle. Just this week I replaced the motor on the passenger side. Speed is pretty good and like the driver side I don't have any rattles. Not sure what would be causing your windows to rattle unless the mechanism is bent and close enough to the inside door frame to touch when roads are bumpy. I did clean the tracks very carefully and used white lithium grease instead of the heavy bearing grease that was on them. This seemed to help the movement. Maybe others will weigh in. My car is a 79 Trans Am.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads,Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.72 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Clean and lube the tracks definitely helps with the speed (as does converting them to run on relays from the switch) but the door sweeps and felts are likely contributing to the rattle. They assist with guiding the window up and down and keep things from moving too much. You should also check your plastic rollers as they wear down and loosen up in the tracks.

Everything needs to be tightened properly after being adjusted correctly. They didn't rattle when new, but some of them seemed to rattle a bit within the first 10 years compared to other cars. After 40-50 years, everything but the hard metal parts are likely worn out and need attention.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:20 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the input. I'll do these.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:55 PM
Senior Chief

If I need to replace some rollers and miscellaneous small parts, can that be done without having to remove the glass and tracks. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:51 AM

Do they rattle when up or down or both? The only thing I found that has worked to improve window speed is swapping from the 10si Alternator to a cs130. This is especially true at idle since the window motors draw a lot of juice up and down. At idle the 10si power drops rather quickly especially if you have the stereo,heater and dont even think about it when the AC is going, the cs130 puts out 14 volts fairly consistently at idle. Watch the voltage gauge when operating windows at idle with 10si and watch the needle drop to 11 volts rather quickly. The CS130 stays at a constant 14 volts up and down. Both windows at the same time can still present a challenge but the cs130 is far superior

Old 10-26-2020, 04:21 PM
Senior Chief

They rattle at different stopped positions. There are couple sweet spots where the rattling is almost gone.