Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New turbo 389 build, '63 Catalina

Been holding back until I had more stuff to tell. I had a '73 trans Am that through all it's fazes ended at a 1065 hp turbocharged 462. Aron Kerner from Delaware called me one day, we settled on a price and now it's boppin' around Delaware. This was the first time I've ever had money to do a complete car/engine/drivetrain build all at once. Sooo. My heart has always been in full sized DArksider Pontiacs. Have owned a '64 CAt 2dr sedan and a '63 Cat Ventura 2dr coupe in my past. And always loved them. I always loved and wanted to build a gasser. So I felt that a '60 Catalina gasser would look fantastic. But fell into a deal on a completely rust free (other than a few surface scratches ) '63 Catalina 2dr coupe.
with full solid rust free floors, rockers, everything. I little surface rust under the roof to body trim but just surface.

rust free floors etc,. The trunk had an old carpet laying in it which held a little moisture so the trunk floor is really good except for a small patch on the right side where there is surface rust but one small pin hole. Otherwise fully solid.
So the gasser will be made out of the '63. I do not believe anyone has ever built a '63 full size gasser since the smaller tempests were much more attractive and dare I say---LIGHTER---. So this is new waters. Right now I'm waiting for Sunday to bring the car into the chassis guy to have a '57 chevy truck front beam axle conversion put in.

This will eventually be converted to disc brakes and 4 3/4 front bolt circle.
Once that is done I will be cutting the firewall and moving the motor back and then I will tie all the front sheetmetal together and make a one piece tilt front end.
The motor will be a twin or big sinlge ( yet to be determined) turbocharged '60 389 block bored .090 to 406. I have Ross light wt. dished forged pistons. I just received my GRP aluminum rods I bought a new Ohio forged 3.75 stroke crank
for the build. I'll be getting the 3 splayed 4 bolt caps as soon as I know the block is good to go. The block is with Paul Carter down in Tucson. He is sonicing it and cleaning it for all further machining. We are going to cryo the block, all the parts to the block an all the transmission internals as well.
I'm making a trans adpater out of an All POntiacs midplate to adapt a 4L80 to the early blocks . I bought a set of KRE alum heads from Troy Tribby (he is upgrading) tha tflow 3.25 cfm and all set up and ready for a roller valvetrain. I just have to determine what that roller will be as the build goes along.
Just playing around I put on my slots and slicks that I used on the TA on the '63 to get a visual for a gasser look.

So this is where I am at the moment. Once I get the front axle on I can start really going on the body. I will probably narrow the original rear so I can fit 10 inch rims and bigger tires for the street and nicer slicks for the track. This will be a little different but that is where I live. A lot of others are going for the Super Stock look and I love that too. Just always wanted a gasser and I love the full size Pontiacs. This will be a 1 of none build. Well let me have it. Mark L

Old 05-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool build Mark. Can't believe the condition of the car. Look forward to seeing the progress.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 05-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know, when I first looked at it walking up from one side I figured it had to be totaled on the other side or something. I could not believe how nice it was. It was advertized for $1500. I traded my '40 Olds ($1600) and my toyota Supra body (worth more than that but could not get it sold) for it. So basically I did not pay much for it. Hence the reason for using it instead of continuong the search for a '60. How's yours coming Brad? Should be racing by now, huh???. Heh! Mark L

Old 05-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, I'll bite. Amazing find in one of the best color combos but why bother putting a straight axle front end on such a nice car?
How is that going to make the car drive, especially with your power plans?
The nostalgia cars are running 120-140mph in the quarter, but none with a straight axle.

I would just put stiffer springs up front to achieve the "gasser" look you want but that's JMO.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool! I like your ideas. Might want to consider a 9 inch to handle all that power though. Isn't it great to start with a rust free straight body?

Old 05-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks73ta View Post
Been holding back until I had more stuff to tell. I had a '73 trans Am that through all it's fazes ended at a 1065 hp turbocharged 462. Aron Kerner from Delaware called me one day, we settled on a price and now it's boppin' around Delaware.
Boppin around Delaware it is indeed...lol. Been to a couple of cruise nights and one show with the TA, and lots of people like it. People twist to look at it riding down the road and many wave, nod, or give thumbs up. Gonna tear it apart shortly for some changes, but I hope it won't be down for more than a couple of weeks.

I am so glad to see things lining up for your build Mark. I too tried to convince him to just stick with the stock front suspension, as I have a feeling its going to end up costing him more than he thinks, buuuut he's a man on a mission...lol.

I cant wait to see it start coming together....

Old 05-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think I've ever seen a full size Pontiac turned into a solid front axle gasser. I welcome the finished project just to see what it looks like, it sounds intriguing. I take it from your choice in transmission though that this is going to be a streeter primarily? What's the driving force in choosing that transmission for a big heavy full sizer sprung on a solid front axle?

Old 05-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brian, exactly why I'm doing it. Like I mentioned in a different forum, my plate should read--1ofnone-. It will be unique. It will not match everyones likes but if it matches mine , that's all I need. Just always wanted to build a gasser. I really wanted a '60 since I think the lines fit the look much better but I could not pass up this '63. And there was not enough about the '63 to make it special to warrent keeping it stock or near stock. Hey if someone right now offered my $7000 for it before I cut it I would stop all progress and send it on it's way. Then look again for that '60. But that will never happen so I will continue. There are many "never built" gassers out there that people have built. Some are a little left of right but many are unique and done well enough too apprciate. Anywho. And answering elefantrider (love the name, heh) about just stiffening and lifting the front end. Then it is just a lifted '63 Catalina. That to me does not capture the gasser look. Which to me is the reason for the whole build. Brian. Strength/overdrive/availability/and costs. I really wanted to go manual. But an overdrive 5 or 6 speed would have dug a hole in my finances to a point that I'd never get it on the road. I found a very good core for $100. My son works at Hughes so i can get the internals at a very good price. The clutch would always be wear consideration. Especially since probably 95% of the time it will be stop light to stop light. And just adapting the early block to a usable configuratioin would add costs well beyond the cost of this 4L80 and converter. It'll be a manual shift 4L80 to save eelctronic controls. Overall as much as I'd like a manual, just all the shifting would become a pain. And in the long run, turbos like working against a converter much more than a clutch at launch. It's just a better fit for me. Mt TA was a manual vavle body and it was not a chore at all. Still gave/gives a reason to be behind the hweel (someting to do) and gives the feeling of being in some control. As long as remember to down shift when it is required. For some reason the car just feels lazy starting out in third gear, LOL. Aron, have you felt that yet??? Anyway. The whole idea is to match my dream. And to be different. Remember just being a Pontiac foamer used to be different enough.
misterp266, coming from Wisconsin and finding this car advertised for $1500 dollars was like stepping off of cloud nine right into reality. Up north in any state, to find this condition of a car would be almost impossible. It has little scrapes and a dent or two but all it did was accumulate a little surface rust. If it had set for 5 years up there the rust would have spread much deeper around any scrape/scratch and would have required much more effort and cost to correct. The rockers are %100 solid, not a flake. Anywho, I love Arizona. Mark L

Old 05-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Suspended

Yes, I've experienced a 3rd gear start......lol. Actually I'm tempted to try a 2nd gear and 3rd gear run, skipping 1st to see how the turbo likes being loaded a little more. Dont think I'll hurt the trans. Actually, I cant wait to get the 3.08 rear in and have the converter lowered.

Meanwhile, I might take it to the beach tonight.....place called the Blue Parrot had an excellent variety of the female species at about a 4:1 ratio last night........lol

Old 05-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of gassers didn't have a straight axle. Tall springs and these spacers are all you need. Whats the point of building a gasser if it's not period correct? By the time this car would have been raced tires were much better and the front ends were coming down in the front because they didn't need all the weight transfer to the rear. Just like the olds, this is to nice of a car to cut up IMO. I would use 7 or 8" rear wheels 30 x 10 piecrust slicks and some matching fronts from Hurst racing tires .

Save your money on your front end labor for the axle install and buy a real transmission adapter too.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 05-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I look forward to seeing it when it is done. I still can't wrap my head around the reasoning for your choice in transmissions, even for a car that will see 95% street duty. With the nose in the air and the ill handling characteristics associated with a leaf sprung solid front axle, combined with the cars weight, I don't see it cruising along at 70-MPH, which pretty much negates the need for an overdrive. I think I would have went with a tranny that is proven to be more durable for such an application and is less expensive to build...the TH-400. Build what suits your fancy and don't worry about it.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess I didn't explain. It will not be period correct, it is a style. I also don't plan a sky high front end. Probably not much above what I would accomplish with the stronger springs and ball joint spacers. If you check out many "Pro Street" cars they are there for the look not to run a competative pro stock number. This is the same. It is a look. The car will sit level. Just not too sure how high until the front is converted. But I can do a drop axle or put the springs under the axle if I need to lower it. Again it is not going to be period correct. It will be period like. Anywho, it's going to happen. The major thing is the engine build. This is where I want this thing to stand out. The 4L80 is what I want for a trans. I want to drive this thing to the next city and still have a semblence of gas mileage. I want to enjoy it. OK, get this. Do you think air conditioning wil be period correct? I'm seriously thinking of adding it in for this ungodly heat down here. It's May and it's it the high, high 90's already. I want to use this thing even in the hottest times. SOOO. Air is the only way. And this is an original air car so the dash is already build for air. Is that cool or what? Mark L

Old 05-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark,
I'm a big supporter of "build it the way YOU want it" not the way someone tells you it has to be done. As for saving a nice '63, you are saving it, you're just saving it your way. I'm building a '63 Catalina Safari with a blown 433 and a five speed. No A/C, no P/S, no P/B, no radio, no aftermarket block. My way. Keep us up to date and keep on doing it your way.
Rob...

Old 05-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rob. If you're building a Safari, then you really get it. Thanks. Too bad we aren't closer. You could tow my '63 into shows and to the strip. Would make a great combination. Mark L

Old 05-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You'll have to excuse my harshness on your build, at least your better off building on a solid car than having to replace floors , 1/4's etc . How much hp is the turbo engine planned on having? Should run like a raped ape regardless....

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 05-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A '63 solid front axle big body Pontiac, with a turbocharged engine and AOD tranny, with air conditioning. Now THAT'S what I call "walking in the woods by yourself" (which is what most of my non-Pontiac car buddies think us Poncho guys are doing).

Old 05-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill. My TA made 1065 hp. I want to top that and with comfortable streetable manners. I'm building the motor to stand more than that. Where I end up will be completely due to the turbo/turbos used and how well my spread bore carb works out in a blow thru configuraion. Although it is about 56 Cubes less than the 462 and a much shorter stroke, the heads, crank, the rods and the cam will all be much better peices, and I'm expecting the block to stand up to more. I originally built the 462 with intentions of getting about 800 hp out of it. I hit 1065. I hope I can make the same magnitude of mistake I did before, heh. Maybe I'm crazy. We'll see.
Brain. I've always thought outside the box. Didn't always have the money to act on it but now I can. The car will end up rough around the edges but it will match me that way. Mark L

Old 05-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Boost Engineer

I would not use any Holley "Spread Bore" style carb for blow-thru.

The idle and part throttle circuits are screwed up for boosting. Mixture Screws add air, not air/fuel mixture.

Holley did make a Square Bore Carb List # 6709 with a small primary venturi and a large secondary venturi. For those that aren't familiar with this carb, it combines primaries from a 600 with secondaries from the 850 in a regular square flange dp body.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Tom for that heads up. Gotta look into that and may have to replan. I used an 800 spread bore Holley on my '72 TA back in '72-'73. But that was so long ago that I can't remember any of the tuning. Mark l

Last edited by marks73ta; 05-10-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark I'll take a long hard look at my thermoquads. Mine are early 70's non pop in jet (1972-1975)Mopar Large primary (850 in Mopar speak) I do have a set of solid floats avail. I have the primary venturi opened to 1 3/8 from 1/3/16. 1 3/8 is same as 1000 cfm version. IIRC I'd have to remove the outer booster ring to hit 1000 cfm.(950 if I leave it in.) I have a matching carb. I think it will work best in a box rather than a hat. Let me stare at it again and I'll give opinion on putting a hat on it. IMO its boostable.