Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-22-2020, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...Even as early as 71 Pontiac was using Chevrolet V8 engines..."

And the Chevy inline 6 in '70, for sure. Don't know if any were used earlier than that, or not. ???

Old 10-22-2020, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
How about we go back to the late 50s and early 60s when GMC light trucks came with Pontiac 389 motors, would that not be great?
Second Series '55 GMCs had optional Pontiac 287 V8s. GMC called them 288.

'56 GMCs had optional Pontiac 316 V8s. GMC called them 317.

'57 GMCs had optional Pontiac 347 V8s.

'58 GMCs had optional Pontiac V8s. Bore size was reduced from '58 Pontiac 370's 4.0625" to GMC's 3.875" to yield 336.1 cubic inches.

'59 GMCs had optional Pontiac V8s. Bore size was reduced from '59 Pontiac 389's 4.0625" to GMC's 3.78" to yield 336.9 cubic inches. This was the last year that GMC used Pontiac V8s.

GMC crankshaft journal sizes were the same as same year Pontiac V8s.

All the GMC V8s used more dished (lower compression ratio) pistons than the lowest compression-ration Pontiacs of the same year.

All used Bendix-Stromberg 2 barrel carbs.

While 389s were never an option, early 389s would bolt in using the earlier front timing cover for the truck's single front motor mount. Even though the '59 389 used side motor mounts, I'm pretty sure the '59 Pontiac timing cover retained the two threaded bolt holes for the single front mount the truck used.
389 Pontiac V8s were never an

Old 10-22-2020, 01:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I never understood why that was acceptable, but Pontiacs with Chevrolet engines weren't. Even as early as 71 Pontiac was using Chevrolet V8 engines.

People just can't be happy that they were at least still making Pontiacs in some form. Now it's all gone and everyone complains about that too lol
Its just a question of time before Buick disappears and GM will be like most all other manufactures- one luxury division (Cadillac) and one "peoples" division (Chebby). The reason Buick remains from what I've read is its popularity in China...for whatever reason.

65 Tempest, 400, TH400
86 Fiero SE 2.8
Old 10-22-2020, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS57 View Post
Its just a question of time before Buick disappears and GM will be like most all other manufactures- one luxury division (Cadillac) and one "peoples" division (Chebby). The reason Buick remains from what I've read is its popularity in China...for whatever reason.
I've heard that too about Buicks popularity over in China, but haven't really understood why.

I agree though, it will all go away and GM will be consolidated like the other manufactures.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-22-2020, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
How about we go back to the late 50s and early 60s when GMC light trucks came with Pontiac 389 motors, would that not be great?
Didn't that happen because of a fire in a production plant and it was done out of necessity rather than just a straight up option ?

Old 10-22-2020, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I never understood why that was acceptable, but Pontiacs with Chevrolet engines weren't. Even as early as 71 Pontiac was using Chevrolet V8 engines.

People just can't be happy that they were at least still making Pontiacs in some form. Now it's all gone and everyone complains about that too lol
A Chevy under the hood of a PONTIAC is about the most unacceptable thing on earth to many of us. Its one of the reasons this forums exists, straight up love for the Pontiac.
Pontiac as in PMD, did not screw over Chevrolet time and time again when they wanted to make newer,better performance engines. Chevrolet did exactly what they wanted to do because they had the power to do it. We, true Pontiac fans lost a lot because of them. Got crumbs in comparison when there was a lot of "want" at PMD to be the best.
A 04 gto is not a real GTO because it does not have a Pontiac between the rails IMO.
If a new Pontiac shows up at our track, first thing I do is look under the car to see what engine is in it. If its a Pontiac, immediate friend, maybe for life. If its a chevy I walk away. Just the way it is, part of what makes me, me.
If I can beat him I ask why he put a chevy in his car just to run slower. If I can not, who cares. A fast chevy is a fast chevy. Cheap, dime a dozen and anyone with a small checkbook can get it done.
Right now waiting to see a guy at the track with a small block in a heavy 2nd gen. We talked junk on U tube. I could beat him badly with the old engine. He is building a new engine, so am I. Going to embarrass him.
Pontiac baby !!!

Old 10-22-2020, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Too bad people are so narrow minded and can't appreciate classic cars for what they are. This hobby is much more enjoyable with an open mind and comradery.

I guess because my Pontiac Sprint came from the factory with a SBC it's not a Pontiac Sprint? I love parking this thing among the Pontiacs on Pontiac night It's funny because you can see their faces cringe in horror but when I go back the very next weekend with my 70 Formula next thing ya know those same guys want to be your best buddy.

What's even funnier is the self proclaimed Pontiac experts think it's a transplant and have no clue that Pontiac actually put the SBC in there from the factory. They are in complete disbelief.

Ever see a SBC with a Pontiac serial number stamped on it? Oh the horror of it all, shame on them LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3280032.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	552066  

Last edited by Formulajones; 10-22-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Someone saying they hate this sort of stuff to me is basically saying they hate Pontiac. It's Pontiac that did it so they are to blame. It's sort of this love hate relationship I see people have with this brand. It's kind of funny they are torn between liking Pontiac and hating them at the same time. Yet upset when the brand completely disappeared.

"Oh I love Pontiacs and Pontiac engines" "Oh wait that has a chevy in it, I hate it"

Old 10-22-2020, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Too bad people are so narrow minded and can't appreciate classic cars for what they are. This hobby is much more enjoyable with an open mind and comradery.

I guess because my Pontiac Sprint came from the factory with a SBC it's not a Pontiac Sprint? I love parking this thing among the Pontiacs on Pontiac night It's funny because you can see their faces cringe in horror but when I go back the very next weekend with my 70 Formula next thing ya know those same guys want to be your best buddy.

What's even funnier is the self proclaimed Pontiac experts think it's a transplant and have no clue that Pontiac actually put the SBC in there from the factory. They are in complete disbelief.

Ever see a SBC with a Pontiac serial number stamped on it? Oh the horror of it all, shame on them LOL
Does that have a 307 in it?

Old 10-22-2020, 07:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is going nowhere and we all know that. No one is going to change their view point due to a "post of total undeniable truth". Does such a thing exist? Yet to see that in almost 30 years of cr*p like this.

65 Tempest, 400, TH400
86 Fiero SE 2.8
Old 10-22-2020, 07:15 PM
Suspended

Quote:
"Oh I love Pontiacs and Pontiac engines" "Oh wait that has a chevy in it, I hate it"
Friends and I enjoy Pontiac and Chevy and admire aspects about each brand. We find it funny as well.
I also hold great respect for Mopar stuff.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I've heard that too about Buicks popularity over in China, but haven't really understood why.
Because they didn't understand the difference between Cadillacs and Cataracts!

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 10-22-2020, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm glad to see some of you take this as lightly as I do and have fun with it. None of that stuff really matters to me. A classic car is a classic car and I'm into owning and being a caretaker of all kinds of different stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
lol

Old 10-22-2020, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Meyer View Post
Does that have a 307 in it?
Yes, 1971 original 307/3 speed manual on the floor. I believe it was the first and only year Pontiac did that in this body. 60k miles and unrestored survivor. I had it down at the Pavs and 67th and Bell many times.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yes, 1971 original 307/3 speed manual on the floor. I believe it was the first and only year Pontiac did that in this body. 60k miles and unrestored survivor. I had it down at the Pavs and 67th and Bell many times.
Wife & I bought a 2 door green with a white vinyl top '72 Ventura II with a 307 Chev V8 and 3 speed automatic new at Gillman Pontiac in Houston in December '71. Wasn't a Sprint (which had a much better looking grille). Fun little car stayed in the family for 18 years.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Someone saying they hate this sort of stuff to me is basically saying they hate Pontiac. It's Pontiac that did it so they are to blame. It's sort of this love hate relationship I see people have with this brand. It's kind of funny they are torn between liking Pontiac and hating them at the same time. Yet upset when the brand completely disappeared.

Pontiac made plenty of cars with Oldsmobile engines under the hood from the factory. I don't hate Olds, kinda like them.
They are cool and never did all they could at GM corporate to keep Pontiac down.
If we would have had RAV 428s, 10-1 SD 455s and 427 SOHC Hemis that would have helped our brand. Chevy had veto power in the Vette had to be the fastest GM car. And they used it.
Chevrolet just could not have that now.....

Old 10-23-2020, 02:45 AM

[QUOTE=Formulajones;6189012]I've heard that too about Buicks popularity over in China, but haven't really understood why.

- Simple... it’s way easier to say Buick than Cadirac, Rincoln or Chevroray! (Ouch!)

Old 10-23-2020, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
....and of course this!

Old 10-23-2020, 05:57 PM
Senior Chief

The Buick is seen as a great and luxurious automobile in China. It has been that way since the 1930's when Cheng Ki Shek, forgive me if I did not spell that right, who was ruler of China and he liked Buick. They liked Americans back then because the 30's is when China was being invaded by the Japanese. There was the AVG, The American Volunteer Group, later to become known as the Flying Tigers. They came to China and helped them before the U.S. was in the war. During the Doolittle raid American pilots were told to try and male it to China where they would be welcomed and hidden from the Japanese.