Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-16-2020, 11:21 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post

Thank you Steve C.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
Old 10-16-2020, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

During a dyno session the first thing Steve Brule at Westech Performance looks at is the BSFC numbers !

Jim McFarland explains brake-specific fuel consumption (BSFC) and how it impacts the thermal efficiency of a racing engine....

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp...l-consumption/

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve C. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a dyno/Pontiac question. The dyno operator I am going to use (Lewis Racing Engines) has never had a Pontiac on his dyno. He asked about where he could support the front of the Pontiac engine since he has only had the other brands on his dyno.
Is there anything different about mounting a Pontiac on a dyno vs a BBC ? He asked if I had a bellhousing which is what he needed for the rear of the engine. I have a blow proof.
Can I get a picture of a Pontiac on a dyno ? Lower front of the engine if possible. I might take a old 71 400 block I have laying around and mount it up before hand so as not to deal with it on the finished 461 High Port engine.
Mikes dyno is notoriously conservative. He get engines that had been on West Techs dyno outside of LA and he always gets 50-60 HP less. Has had customers ask him to play with water temp numbers to get the HP number up. He won't do it even if they ask. His reputation is on the line and the engine needs to run the numbers.
I expect a honest session.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pic......this is the sled that was used to run mine on the Dyno
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B2CE7098-7323-40F3-8037-6733DD905119.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	551560  

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 10-16-2020, 07:09 PM
Senior Chief

Once again everyone, thanks very much. I spoke with the shop today...asked for forgiveness if I was asking for too much and/or otherwise asking stupid questions. They were super cool about it. When I explained to him I had not enjoyed this level of service before he was a little excited describe all the stuff they do and the documentation I'll be receiving.

I'll get a complete parts break down. He records all the clearances and I'll get all this with the motor when I pick it up. He was a little apologetic in that he didn't go over all this with me previously. He said I sounded pretty sharp with engines/assembly and sounded like I knew exactly what I was looking for, so he didn't want to bore me with it. He was kind of excited to tell me about how they do it.

As for the dyno they said they would be doing an initial warm up and some very light pulls to seat the rings, make sure everything was checking out. Then they would drain the break-in oil. He said say they use a billet oil filter that can be disassembled and they inspect it before replacing the filter and oil before going any further. If everything looks good, temperature, AF ratio, recheck the valves, timing they take a couple medium pulls, watch the meters and then if it looks good they give it heck. I did also ask about the target horse power number thing...he was pretty confident that my ask was reasonable and "it shouldn't be a problem" with a big grin on his face :-).

Once again, I thank you all for the suggestions.

If anyone else wants to jump on this thread, have questions for the group,...feel free. This has been a really great exchange. Thanks!!!

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
The Following User Says Thank You to punkin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 04:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Take a thumb drive and ask the dyno operator to give you a copy of all your run files. Seems that most dyno facilities conserve paper and only give you the best run, and having them all available to you is nice. Plus it's cool to be able to look over the files on your computer at home. Take a video camera or at least use your phone to record the runs, because again, it's fun to watch and share them.

By the way, Westech has two complete engine dyno cells and two chassis dynos. They calibrate their units monthly and despite all the bad-mouthing I've heard, never saw any proof. Two of the engines I saw run at Westech were run on other dynos and Westech was within a couple percent - one higher and the other engine lower. Maybe Mike is just building an alibi in case numbers come in low?

Just had a friend's engine dyno'd three weeks ago that I built and this time they actually let me attend. Last time only the owner and Ken Crocie were allowed there because of the virus concerns.

Photos are from an old session with Ken Crocie's aluminum block build. First photo shows front mount, second is Ken looking over engine, and third is the flunkies swapping out a manifold while Ken kicks back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminum block at dyno.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	551589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ken.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	551590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flunkies.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	551591  

Old 10-17-2020, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its also nice when they write on the dyno sheet the timing,jetting,carb change,etc for quick reference. They might try multiple things as the pulls go on.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Best use for a dyno on a street engine is: 1. finding and correcting any leaks before it goes in the car. So much easier. 2. getting it to start fast and easy with minimum cranking. 3. breaking in a flat tappet camshaft in a controlled environment. 4. controlling engine temperature 5. breaking in piston rings in a loaded condition, not just free spinning, or overloading the engine. 6. checking/correcting ignition timing and curve. 7. knowing that if there are issues once installed, it's not the basic engine. 8. bragging rights for HP and torque numbers. 9. making sure performance targets are met at the engine level. 10. typically, a decent running new engine will not gain over 5-7% additional HP through many runs on the dyno after first full pull. I like to change oil and filter/cut and inspect the filter after 1/2 hour of run time, 0 pulls. Then give it hell !! Have fun and enjoy the day. Typically, I pull street engines 12-15 runs. They usually make peak power by pull 7-8. I like to pull 3-400 RPM's past peak HP to make sure it's done producing useful power and on it's way down the curve.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchell View Post
Pic......this is the sled that was used to run mine on the Dyno
Thanks for the pic. I guess I will have to set up a pre trip for my dyno session to get it all in order. Mike has never had a Pontiac on his pump.
The CA fires got close to his shop. It was VERY smokey the day I dropped off my crank with helicopters flying overhead.
He has his own fire truck but if a wall of fire comes at you I don't think it would matter.
His shop is unbelievable. Top notch equipment.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:54 AM

Guys, I went through the process a couple of years ago. Mr. Wayne Sless was the builder, (Carburetor) Bob Zabo was the dyno guy. I Am NOT an engine mechanic. I went into "dyno day" with an open mind and plenty of questions. It was without a doubt one of the most informative and downright fun days I've spent in MANY years. Just be respectful, ask your questions and enjoy the experience!

Dyno Day vid;
https://youtu.be/0D6CYb3oTNI

Tommy

The Following User Says Thank You to Caster1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any numbers yet?

Old 10-24-2020, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
Take a thumb drive and ask the dyno operator to give you a copy of all your run files. Seems that most dyno facilities conserve paper and only give you the best run, and having them all available to you is nice. Plus it's cool to be able to look over the files on your computer at home. Take a video camera or at least use your phone to record the runs, because again, it's fun to watch and share them.

By the way, Westech has two complete engine dyno cells and two chassis dynos. They calibrate their units monthly and despite all the bad-mouthing I've heard, never saw any proof. Two of the engines I saw run at Westech were run on other dynos and Westech was within a couple percent - one higher and the other engine lower. Maybe Mike is just building an alibi in case numbers come in low?

Just had a friend's engine dyno'd three weeks ago that I built and this time they actually let me attend. Last time only the owner and Ken Crocie were allowed there because of the virus concerns.

Photos are from an old session with Ken Crocie's aluminum block build. First photo shows front mount, second is Ken looking over engine, and third is the flunkies swapping out a manifold while Ken kicks back.
X2. Also many times some information that is logged is not printed on the dyno sheet.

Anyone have any Super Flow Data files that they are willing to share?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm