Old 12-02-2006, 07:16 PM

Default Finally got this thing home.

i thought you guys would like to see the latest addition to the collection here.

it's a date coded, true numbers matching, 389 4v, th 400, 2:76 diff, a/c, p/s , p/b,tilt wheel, grand prix.

she's still wearing what's left of the original paint and a ton of west tx dirt. it appears that the only things missing from it are the fender skirts and the original radio. thanks to txbobcat [bob wyrick] i've got a radio found.

i bought this last spring and finally gave up going to pick it up in person and had it shipped.

i want to throw a big thank you out to my friend bill morgan for locating and storing this old pig for me.

the car runs good and drives decent for what it is. i spent the afternoon tinkering with it and took the boys and jen for the first family ride in it.

the boys loved it, jen thought it was a boat. she'll come to appreciate that room with 3 kids and all the junk she drags along.

let me know what you think of it,

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds cool but we're gonna need pics or maybe a youtube video

Old 12-02-2006, 08:07 PM

Angry

well we'll try this again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65 gp 2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	74274   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 gp 3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	74275  

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-02-2006, 08:15 PM

a couple more. i had to split them up so this slow server would handle them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	65 gp 4.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	74284   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 gp 5.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	74285  

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-02-2006, 08:21 PM

Cool

two more

that's syd enjoying his first ride in the car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	65 gp 7.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	74290   Click image for larger version

Name:	65gp 6.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	74291  

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-03-2006, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool - Syd looks like he is having fun.
Never have seen a GP with "Poverty caps" - I kinda like that.
I had a 65 GP as a daily driver for years - one of my all-time favorites.

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Havent seen a fullsize 65 I did'nt like(well except for the GP that was on ebay with the flames and side pipes) good job. I cant believe you did'nt run out and get that. I guess if you have good folks looking out for it then you were fine. I would have died from the anticipation of the wait untill I could get behind the wheel. Where do you guys find these things?

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 12-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

COOL! I have always liked the '65s in white. Just the right options etc.

As was once said to me when I was starting my house: "That'll keep you out of the tavern."

-B.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 12-03-2006, 01:38 PM

syd and adam both loved the ride. i had taken the car out for a lap around the block and when i pulled back in the drive they came running out of the house with jen in tow begging for a ride. syd arrived there first and got the shotgun seat.

a good friend of mine was storing the car for me. i had planned on making a run to get it over the 4th of july but an eye injury 2 weeks before prevented it. i doubt the "food bowls" were factory on her but they look good and the wear's about right to complete the look.

66 bonnie, i've been chasing a 65 iris mist g/p locally for 20 years, the owner wouldn't sell it and she's junk now. the 5's are my favorite year of fullsized g/p, i've been passively looking for years and this one fit the bill almost perfectly.

the original plan was to iris mist this one but the white's growing on me. for some reason the car looks smaller in white. the above mentioned owner bought another one that was dark blue and is now mint green. it looks about 3' longer than this one.it could be the missing skirts also.

deadhead, if we decide to go to the bar[ those trips are pretty infrequent now] we'll just drive this there.

the thing that impresses me with this car is the amount of stuff that's still original. i changed out the master cyl to get brakes on it and i'm positive the one i removed was the original one. it reminds me of a car i'd have bought in the mid to late 80's. there are several things that need need attn but it's a great start to a nice car.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Somehow the chrome details on the '65s work very well with white. GPs & wagons especially. Black rims might look good with the dishes.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 12-03-2006, 08:11 PM

i think the black rims would scream for trim rings. it actually looks "clean" to me right now. i'm sure that'll change as time goes on. the g/p's have always had a clean look to them imo.

years ago phr or hot rod had an article in it that stated a person should go fast with class. it always stuck with me and the g/p's accomplish that without many trim mods. the chrome on this car is good enough to polish and run it, only the bumpers need replating. due to the trailer hitch that was added i may replace the rear one if i can't get it cut off cleanly.

right now i'm gonna concentrate on the mechanicals. i can hear several vac leaks, the carb needs gone thru, there's some mystery wiring i'm gonna chase down, the brakes will be upgraded [if nothing else to a dual master cylinder],then we're gonna drive it. if this old girl pans out to be a good runner like i think it will, we may take it to norwalk this year. the hot rod power tour is coming close to us also i may take a couple days and hit a leg or two of it. time ,finances and how the car runs will decide that.

if i end up doing it in white i'll probably throw a little pearl in the clear just to add some detail to it. the interior's almost a silver, i assume it started as light blue metallic, i'll have to verify the code again. strange thing tho, the dash pad's black, as is the steel portion. it's kind of odd for a blue interior car. i'll phs it eventually just for the documentation.

i do know i'll be hunting up at least a couple of wheels with a wider offset to the inside for the rear. the tires on it now are about an inch from the rear wheelwell, there's close to 4" of clearance between the inside of the tire and the frame.

thanks for the comments.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike - seems to me I have seen an Iris Mist GP somewhere around Florida, it was gorgeous !! It's a great color for that car. But then I don't think I have ever seen a white GP. Might be cool to keep it that color.
Have fun

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Fine big ol' car

Mike,

Now that you have a GP, time to join the POCI GP Chapter and take those summer tours with us .

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 12-04-2006, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSBURGH 64
Mike,
The 67 bendix dual master cyl will bolt right up to that power booster.

It looks solid.
I hope to see you guys at Norwalk next year.

I'm glad to see your bringing that young man up right.
Some of my best early childhood memories are of talking with my dad while he was working on his car.
we've been at norwalk the past several years. it's our summer mini vacation. look for the 98 bonnie in the show field it's ours but we're never around it unless it's time to eat.

actually syd's twin brother adam shows more mechanical interest. he was in the back seat with mom. both of them like old cars so these'll probably pass on to someone who cares about them.

i'm probably gonna go with a 68 unit, my parts store of choice has one on the shelf. i've got to do some measuring but it may have discs on the front by spring. i've got 2 cars here that are possible donors.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-04-2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonne
Mike - seems to me I have seen an Iris Mist GP somewhere around Florida, it was gorgeous !! It's a great color for that car. But then I don't think I have ever seen a white GP. Might be cool to keep it that color.
Have fun

iris mist is my favorite 65 color, period. this will be a tough call when the final choice gets made.

there's a member her who's got a white 65 g/p. it's a wicked looking ride with some serious tires and a good stance.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-04-2006, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspin
Mike,

Now that you have a GP, time to join the POCI GP Chapter and take those summer tours with us .

Les
les, you're a little late on the invite, i've got several g/p's this is just the oldest. this 65, a 72, 74, and an 82.

i'm not a member of poci, i've thought of joining in the past but the gmc addition turned me off when they did that.[it sounds like corporate butt kissing to me] i own a couple of gmc's too. i think they should have limited the trucks to the pontiac powered ones only.

jen's brought it up a couple of times and someday we may join but i doubt it's anytime soon. i do want to hit one of thier conventions tho.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-04-2006, 01:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Very NICE mike i like the color also.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:56 AM
Formerly GnXRanch

Mike, Nice GP. I like the poverty caps. Did it come with them? Seems like an unusual option for the GP. I think no frills caps on our big cars make a statement, kind of a comfortable without the fluff kind of thing. I might have to get some of those for the 65 4dr hardtop.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:44 PM

gnx , i've not phs'd the car yet so i have no clue if the caps are orig equipt or not.

they do look cool on it tho.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-08-2006, 08:47 PM

Mike,

I have an Iris Mist 65 GP with black interior. You're right, it's a great color. I bought it in Michigan earlier this year. I saw it on this web site about 2 years ago coming out of Tenn. I'm the 3rd owner with all paperwork. I love thosepoverty hubcaps on your car. Reminds me of a lot of cars I saw as a kid.