Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Tremec shifter position

I sold my TKO500 to my Uncle who is attempting to install it in his 68 Firebird. He ordered the complete accessory kit from Kiesler but is finding out that the shifter is going to sit back a little far and may not line up with the console. When he talked to Kiesler, they told him he's got an 'old' Tremec and their 'new' Tremec has an offset tailshaft that corrects this positioning. However it is not compatible with the old one, so they tried talking him into one of their trannies. So, long story short since I am somewhat obligated to helping him figure this out, isn't there an offset shifter base available that accomodates this? Looks like the shifter will need to come forward about 2". Thanks for any help.

On a side note, we noticed something on the tailshaft of the transmission, above the output shaft where the shifter rail slides to activate the reverse switch, there is a spot about 2 inches long that almost looks like someone smeared some jbweld there...? Anyone elses trannies have this or was someone trying to cover something up? I'll see if I can maybe take a picture and post it.

-Steve

Old 11-08-2007, 08:56 PM

Classic Chevy 5-speed has what you're looking for. classicchevy5speed.com

Good luck with the project.

-Bob

Old 11-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

i think i've seen some of those offset shifters
but they're 200 or 300 alone

might rather sell that tremec and 'upgrade' to the new one

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE
Old 11-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks, I found that one at CC5speed and it looks like a real nice shifter, unfortunately they don't list a price seperately. I also found a place called 5speedtransmissions.com that has several different shifter offsets available. Looks like that might be the route to go.

Can anyone who's done one of these swaps please chime in and let me know what you've done for the shifter location and how it fits in the console, etc. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

-Steve

Old 11-10-2007, 05:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Unfortunately,Classic Chevy won't sell to you because you did not buy your transmission there.
Is your shifter too far back or too much to the center of the car?
On mine all I had to do was unbolt the shifter plate and reverse it.
Keisler mills their extension housings so only their shifters will fit,they also will not sell to you if you did not buy your transmission from them.
McLoed Slik Stix is the shifter Classic Chevy sells,I beleive Hurst is making the McLoed shifters now.
It may take some digging but you may be able to find one,these are offset 2" to either side.
Expect to pay up to $400 for a shifter.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Try here...
http://www.fortesparts.com/index.cfm

Mike was very nice to deal with.

david

Old 11-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Goathead - I haven't had the chance to look at it for myself just yet, but what I gathered from him is that the shifter is going to sit back too far in the hole and the console. He proceeded to talk about shifting the console back and doing what it would take to line up, but would not be correct and may not be comfortable once the car is back together.

After I did a little more research online I found a site www.5SpeedTransmissions.com that had a good amount of info on shifter locations and distances from the bellhousing. It is here that I first found out you can flip the shifter plate 180* to obtain a distance of 19.5" from the bellhousing or 16.75" which is how far the old muncie's were. This is all I think he needs to do being the shifter is positioned towards the tailshaft at 19.5" from the bellhousing. Goathead, being you've done that with your shifter, was it pretty simple? Did anything change underneath as far as where the shifter rides in that piece on the shift rail? Seems like it might need to be flipped or shifted as well....

As long as that works, I don't think he's going to need an offset shifter being the 68's and 69's were centered where the pre 68's had the 2" offset towards the driver.

As an fyi, I did talk to CC5speed and you guys are correct, they only sell complete kits, however the guy I talked to said a company called passperformance.com buys thier parts and WILL sell them individually. And on top of that, Keisler was a lot nicer to deal with as they sold my Uncle everything he needed for the swap even though he didn't get the tranny from them.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Flipping the shifter plate is extremely easy,just unbolt it and turn it around and bolt it back up.
No changes are needed to the shifter rail.
Keisler must have changed their policy because last March they told me that they would be happy to sell me the accessories,the price is $3295 and htey come with a transmission.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great, thanks for the help. Soon as I get down to his place I'll look into everything to figure out where it fits. Anything else comes up I'll be back. Thanks!

-Steve