Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 PM

Got a little done during lunch and after work today. Pulled the gas tank and started cutting out the trunk pan. I was starting to get worried about how long it was taking until I got out my air chisel...it was like a big can opener!!!!! Still have lots of trimming to do, but I ran out of cut off wheels. I'll have to hit the hardware store tomorrow so I can get busy on it this weekend.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm having a flashback.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome. Keep the pictures coming.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Still Curious as to which "One Piece Trunk" you bought... It it complete with the braces or that piece of **** big center pan that is 5 inches short on each side...

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like he got the one without the center braces...Assuming, since he went through the trouble of preserving the braces.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
Still Curious as to which "One Piece Trunk" you bought... It it complete with the braces or that piece of **** big center pan that is 5 inches short on each side...
Yup...looks like I got the cheap one that's too short on each side. I was looking at buying the side panels they show listed for a chevelle, but they are like 69 bucks a peice....decided I'd just make my own. This isn't going to be a show restoration so I don't have to worry about total originality.

I started working on the rear window channel a little and found that fixing metal in the bends is a PITA. My biggest problem was trying to grind down the welds and metal perfect which was causing the metal to get thin. Then when I'd try to weld up some small pin-holes ...I'd blow right thru it. Grrr... I think I spent two hours on one spot before I got it decent enough to leave it alone. Working on building the upper trunk hinge support panel (area under the rear deck-to-windshield filler panel) today. Figured I'd get that fixed up while I could stand in the trunk area before installing the trunk pan. Pics to come this evening if I don't butcher this up too bad.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBird View Post
Yup...looks like I got the cheap one that's too short on each side. I was looking at buying the side panels they show listed for a chevelle, but they are like 69 bucks a peice....decided I'd just make my own. This isn't going to be a show restoration so I don't have to worry about total originality.

I started working on the rear window channel a little and found that fixing metal in the bends is a PITA. My biggest problem was trying to grind down the welds and metal perfect which was causing the metal to get thin. Then when I'd try to weld up some small pin-holes ...I'd blow right thru it. Grrr... I think I spent two hours on one spot before I got it decent enough to leave it alone. Working on building the upper trunk hinge support panel (area under the rear deck-to-windshield filler panel) today. Figured I'd get that fixed up while I could stand in the trunk area before installing the trunk pan. Pics to come this evening if I don't butcher this up too bad.
Yeah I had to replace that panel on mine as well, but I found a used one that was in good shape. That project took about 3 hours. I posted pics on my thread. Good luck with your project.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:41 PM

Well... I didn't get near as much done as I would have liked. Here's a few pics of re-doing the rear window channel...the stupid left side took me nearly two hours. The right side took less time and I think came out better. I'm sure there was an easier way to do it that what I did, but I took two peices of metal and used one for the side, and one for the bottom. I tacked them together, and then welded them on the back side where you can't see them. I decided even if there is a small pin hole in my welding, I'm planning on applying some POR-15 Patch to ensure there are no leaks. The RH side came out looking a little better.

I had started trying to fab the back part of the package tray and then got lucky and scored the part I needed off a junk car today!!!!! It's not perfect but much more workable than what I had before.

Still have to wire wheel the window channel again and apply some sealer to keep the rust at bay. I know it doesn't look it in the pics, but there was good metal that the patches were welded to and they were cleaned before being welded. Lots of grinding... had rust-dust sitting on top of everything.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Chevelle trunk side pieces are different anyway. You could buy the left and right sides of the 7 piece trunk kit if you wanted. Or fab something to work as you've stated.

At this point it is worth the trouble to fit your rear glass stainless trim if you haven't already... trust me!

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 AM

Paul... I was thinking the same thing. I plan on setting the rear filler panel into position as well so I can use it as somewhat of a guide to make sure everything fits back into place.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:33 PM

Okay...spent the majority of the day getting my new (used) trunk hinge support panel cleaned up and installed. Not perfect, but you won't see it anyhow. Still have to do a little work to the right side window channel before installing and plug welding the rear filler panel. Once I have it installed, I'll go ahead and do the trunk pan.

I wanted to go ahead and coat the trunk support panel with POR-15 after removing the heavy surface rust. Since I was going to open up the can and waste a brush, I figured I'd better go ahead and wire brush the floor pans and coat them as well.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks great!

Old 03-11-2012, 11:30 PM

Got a little more done on the car over the last few days. Built a patch panel for the left rear inner wheel house due to some rust holes.

Then I spent a few minutes patching my right front door before getting ready to put the new skin on. Doesn't look too bad, but no one will ever see it once the door panel is installed.

And Finally...my new door skin installed (before/during/after pics). A friend offered me the use of one of the air powered door skin reinstaller tools and I foolishly decided to do it by hand. I can barely move my arms now...

Old 03-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of progress - great job!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, work looks good! By the way...what color was that car originally? I think I've spotted at least 3 different colors in different areas.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:12 AM

Looks like it was originally Antique Gold. I haven't looked at the trim tag to confirm, but the door jams weren't painted over when they painted it black...or red... : )

Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 PM

Talking

Hi.....My name is Jim and I'm ashamed of myself! LoL My project sits undone with absolutely zero rust! I have no excuses to not finish! Your project is progressing nicely, thanks for the motivation!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:50 PM

Thanks Jim! I think I lied to myself a little about the overall condition of the car. I figured I'd just slap in a new trunk pan and door skin but I keep finding other things that need attention. Posting pics of the build and watching others work is the only thing keeping ME motivated. Hope to have some more pics up tonight or tomorrow.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBird View Post
Looks like it was originally Antique Gold. I haven't looked at the trim tag to confirm, but the door jams weren't painted over when they painted it black...or red... : )
The photos of the doors is what made me think it might have been Limelight Green...One of my favorite colors nowadays.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My hat is off to you.I only had to do a couple 1/4s and a core support with my Judge.Tom