Old 08-24-2005, 07:33 PM

Default 70 judge convertible basket case value

I have found a 70 judge convertible (yellow) that is completely junk with lots of rust, dents , torn top ripped seats flat tires broken windows etc. been sitting for years but is a low mileage one or two owner car. The owner got it from an auction and thinks its worth a fortune, i think its not. How much should i expect to have to pay for a basket case rescue project? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by customizeit
I have found a 70 judge convertible (yellow) that is completely junk with lots of rust, dents , torn top ripped seats flat tires broken windows etc. been sitting for years but is a low mileage one or two owner car. The owner got it from an auction and thinks its worth a fortune, i think its not. How much should i expect to have to pay for a basket case rescue project? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
If it's that bad why would you even want it? Kidding of course.
Does he have the PHS on it? Documentation means alot anymore. The sky's the limit on these cars, more details such as original driveline etc. would help get a price guide. Let him give you price & start from there.

Some "dealers" would love buy something like this for a vin donor.Hopefully we won't see a 2 owner rust free Judge ragtop in about 6 months for sale!
Keep us posted.
Steve

Old 08-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1969Judge

Steve V is right. More information about the car is needed to make a better guess as to it's value. But, with the way the prices have been for these cars lately, this one would probably start around $40K and go up from there based on condition, options, how many original parts are left, etc. It won't be cheap especially if it is an original Orbit Orange car.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:41 PM

Default convertible basket case

No documentation but the entire original car is there, I will try to go back to get tag nos and see what options it has and i will repost. I think i could get the car for about $10 K but really didnt think it was worth quite that much in the shape it is in. thanks again.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"IF" and I can't over emphasize the "IF" - it turns out to be a Judge convertible, 10 grand is actually a fair price for a basket these days.

You really need to do your homework on the car before you drop a dime though. The $35-$45 PHS documentation is the very first money you need to spend regardless of how original everything appears. A standard GTO convertible could get you in serious trouble at 10 grand for a basket.

If you are not very familiar with GTO's and how to identify the drivetrain parts, you should speak up and ask what things to look for so you will be better prepared when you go back to the car again. Stripes, stickers and spoilers can be put on any car at anytime. Always the possibility it could have been "transformed" early in it's life. The PHS is the BOTTOM LINE.

The guys on this forum can help you in many ways. Naturally, we all hope that it IS a true Judge. Good Luck

Old 08-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Senior Chief

can you tell us where it is?

Old 08-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If he did that people would be swarming around it like hornets! That should be kept secret for now. Let him get it possesion of it first and then tell us the details. By the way, get the PHS faxed ASAP, forget the mail. Like Baron said you need this before you do anything. It is the KEY to verifying if the car is a Judge or not. Forget how it looks or what the guy says, the PHS tells all!

Old 08-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1969Judge

IF it is a real Judge convert then $10K is a steal, regardless of the condition, color or options. I know of two '69 basket cases that recently sold for over $50K. '70 Judge converts don't usually go for as much as the 69's do, but they come close.

Please keep us informed. We all hope it is a real one and you are able to get it.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If any one read about the Palisade Green one in High Performance Pontiac a few months ago, I can tell you that he paid more than $10K for it 8 years ago. It was a basket case too, but had the original engine and trans.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:23 PM

Just to keep all informed, I went back got data plate info and vin and will send for PHS docs tomorrow...........

The car is Sierra yellow, (50)
sandalwood top (E)
TR 257 sandalwood interior

Engine code WS, couldnt see vin stamping or date code
with 4 speed manual power disc brakes, power steering, no air

Old 08-26-2005, 12:58 AM

Default judge conv

is the car in south carolina? I know of a car for sale with the same color combo that is a RA 3 car, but not a judge, good luck

Old 08-26-2005, 02:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I had a PHS faxed about a month ago, took less than 2 hours to get it back. And it was sent in during lunch time. Those folks are on the ball. They supposedly are trying to make a self-service "instant" option with a credit card. That would be sweet

P.S. If you don't buy the car, at least try for some pictures. It sounds like a prime candidate for one of those "Cars to Cry About" calenders in it's current condition.

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 08-26-2005 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Judgeblues, you have a PM.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well worth it. Buy it, spend $50K on the restoration and the car would probably sell at Auction for more than $100K. It is one of those rare instances where buying a basket case will work.

My father found a basket case 427/435hp Yellow Corvette 1967 behind a house. 2 owner car, all docs, matching numbers, etc. Just needed a lot of work. Paid $25K for it, probably has 50-60K into it and it was appraised for $175K.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Passed on a documented '70 RAIII Judge convert project about 15 years ago. 4K was the buy-in. Pallisade green auto car, an ugly color combo in my book, & main reason didn't buy it. Needed frame horn replacement, & front clip pieces, as it was hammered in the front end. Car went through at least two owners, was restored, & believe, in HPP, in the last year.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:32 AM

When I first saw this Ebay ad I thought, No Way, 5k for that, but after reading all of what is posted, maybe? It is not a convertible, but he claims a 70 Judge…duno

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Old 08-26-2005, 11:01 AM
Senior Chief

Oh man!!! is somebody in for a ton of work on that Judge!! They sure are tempting though!

Regarding the vert, check under the fan cover on the firewall and on top of the frame just behind the driver's rear wheel. Confirmation of the VIN should be there.

Like Baron said, you'd hate to pay pure gold for a non judge. But if you do, you can always get Sheryl Crow to buy it!

Good luck, Maybe another Judge will come back from the dead.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Basket case is in fact a judge....

I just received my fax back from PHS , this car is in fact a Judge

I was concerned that it wasnt cuz there is no rear spoiler on it , but oh well now I know.......

Now I just have to convince her of a fair price.......

Wish me luck.....

Ill keep you all informed!!!!!

Old 08-26-2005, 04:18 PM

Good luck man! Nice find. Take pictures of it reguardless of whether you get it or not.

Old 08-27-2005, 03:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

D@MN Custom - way to go on the PHS return ! That's the way to do it brother, you are definitely in the real game now. Hope you buy it REAL SOON.

If they have a clean clear title buy it today or tomorrow. Have an attractive deposit in hand with a serious counter offer if they throw a tall price on you.
If it gets too pricey for you, you could probably gain a good finders fee on a strait-shot deal with someone here.

The WS and 4speed trans sure sounds like a really good start. The PHS is the sweetest treat in this hobby, probably about the best $45 you might have ever spent. 1970 FVC%|Ng 4speed Judge Convertible .......usumvabichu

I'd just like to see a picture/scan of the PHS even if you cover off the VIN numbers. I could dig seeing that.