Old 03-14-2005, 04:16 PM

When I first did my restoration back in '95 I made sure the drivers power bucket seat worked. It only went back and forth, but that was fine with me. Since I'm the only driver of the car there had been no need for me to move the seat the last 10 years.

I now find it neccisary to move the seat foward so I can remove the seats to install new carpet. Problem is, the motor turns, the band turns, but the seat is stuck in the back position.

Is there a release control on these seats so I can slide it foward?

I'm beating myself up trying to figure this one out.

Old 03-14-2005, 04:16 PM

When I first did my restoration back in '95 I made sure the drivers power bucket seat worked. It only went back and forth, but that was fine with me. Since I'm the only driver of the car there had been no need for me to move the seat the last 10 years.

I now find it neccisary to move the seat foward so I can remove the seats to install new carpet. Problem is, the motor turns, the band turns, but the seat is stuck in the back position.

Is there a release control on these seats so I can slide it foward?

I'm beating myself up trying to figure this one out.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mrgto. That is a tough ? I would try to get someone behind it and push with ther foot as you try the switch. Let us know ok.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:16 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cuz68:
mrgto. That is a tough ? I would try to get someone behind it and push with ther foot as you try the switch. Let us know ok. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is power, the motor turns, the band turns as well as the gearbox. I went as far as hooking up a small winch device to the front of the seat track and tried to winch it foward. Wouldn't budge. I just don't remember if there was a locking type device that wouldn't allow the seat to move if the cables were hooked up. I guess there is no release.

My only option would be to put the car on a lift, and tap out the rear seat bolts from underneath.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm working on one with similar problems myself. They consist of a motor and a transmission. As soon as I figure it out, I'll post results. I've got some extra parts, as well.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:26 PM

We I gave up n this years ago, now im faced w the same delema.

Looking to replace a torn driver seat. Went as far as tearing into the seat to see if I can get to the bolts from the top. Negative.

So outside of cutting up the frame, any ideas?

Should just be a simple four bolts right. Can of worms again.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

May 4 or 6 bolts. I had the same issue on my 67 GP. I just had to be patient and back the bolts out very carefully.

It sounds as if the seat transmission is actually your "no-move" condition.

If you can unbolt the front of your seat, it should tip enough so you can get the seat trans out. Once you have it out, take it apart. It is most likely had the grease turn to cement and will not let the gears slide. If so, clean the old grease out and relube everything. It should fix your problem (if that WAS your problem).

Old 09-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Couldn't you get a Gearwrench type on the bolts?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/v_10153_1...sid=21x1399338

Old 09-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Common to have the rubber/plastc coupler between the motor and the seat transmission strip out or the transmission driven gear which attaches to the other end of the coupler strip out. The trans can be opened up under the seat if necessary to replace a stripped out driven gear. I have done this repair hundreds of times in the 12 years I spent working at an Olds dealer.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the replies .....

Its four bolts. Well, Two nuts front / two bolts rear.
I was able to get to the 2 front ones without a problem.

The 2 rear ones I can't even see. I went ahead and torre into the seat covers and took out the phone so I can look down into the seats and I could see the motor and trans, I just cant get to the bolts

The seat does rock back just a little bit. let me take a look and see if I can get to the trans.

But if I took the trans out would that not allow me to push does seat forward?

And honestly would it really would be worth it for me to try to restore this power seat? I went ahead and purchase the regular tracks just in case.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:16 PM

I have ro say this forum rocks!!!

I was able to get the two cables pulled from the trans, just from a hunch I grabbed my dealt drill, tightened the cable reversed it back and, HOT damn the seat powered forward!!!

Im one happy mofo!! Beers all around!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
I have ro say this forum rocks!!!

I was able to get the two cables pulled from the trans, just from a hunch I grabbed my dealt drill, tightened the cable reversed it back and, HOT damn the seat powered forward!!!

Im one happy mofo!! Beers all around!
I'll take a Bud Light or a Rolling Rock!

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.