Old 10-19-2017, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce
Default Let's Play a Game!

.030 over 455 with a factory N crank, factory rods, Speed Pro/TRW forged pistons, as cast KRE D's, 10:1 compression ratio, rpm no more than 5500, E85 and a modest turbocharger.

When does it go boom?

I've long talked about turbocharging my firebird but I've always held off simply because of the rotating assembly in the engine.

A recent engine master's episode got me thinking about it as a thought experiment though. How much boost could you feasibly send through a combination like that and get it to live on the street?

Old 10-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

5 Psi shifting at 5000 rpm you might get some time out of it, but it will be a time bomb . At least put some good rods in it... You'll have a better chance ...

Old 10-19-2017, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 0.030" over 455 with a stock non-N crank and a set of worked cast rods... ARP bolts, shot peened, beams ground, and set up for full floating pins. no bushing on the small end. and a set of Ross pistons. This short block went 6.02 @ 120MPH to the 1/8th at about 2900 lbs. race weight. This short block saw over 20 psi with a 0.484" lift 230 at 0.050" duration cam and out of the box round port Edelbrocks. It is still running in a different car with D port heads and a S400 turbo now, but hasn't been run much.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by v869tr6 View Post
I have 0.030" over 455 with a stock non-N crank and a set of worked cast rods... ARP bolts, shot peened, beams ground, and set up for full floating pins. no bushing on the small end. and a set of Ross pistons. This short block went 6.02 @ 120MPH to the 1/8th at about 2900 lbs. race weight. This short block saw over 20 psi with a 0.484" lift 230 at 0.050" duration cam and out of the box round port Edelbrocks. It is still running in a different car with D port heads and a S400 turbo now, but hasn't been run much.
That's pretty impressive. More than 700 to the tires it would seem.

Close to what I've been able to gather when I had my 455 apart. At the very least it has a set of ARP rod bolts in it. I've never seen a true factory rod to compare so I can't tell if the rod's have been peened or not.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:38 PM
Boost Engineer

Agree with Charlie that these are somewhat of a 'Time Bomb"
Really more like a Hand Grenade, as long as you are careful you can play around a bit.

Light car, small camshaft duration and lift, rods at least checked for cracks, engine might live a while.

I had an engine like that one time, came out of an ambulance vehicle, fresh rebuild. Put a small 421 SD camshaft in it, headers, and just kept the rpm low, and beat the crap out of it for 4 years of college. Made a lot of noise, women were impressed.

But it could have failed the next day.

So really what are your GOALS with this boost build/

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm too afraid of windowing a perfectly good block/engine to ever do that, but an honest 600hp to the tire with streetable manors would be the goal.

Realistically, I'd add a set of rods, soften up the chambers a bit and get a piston with a better ring pack in there.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A few things I believe to be true,
A 1/16" set of rings in most turbo engines are going to be just fine. The new short block I am building has 1/16th rings.
A turbo engine has to pump the cylinder empty due to back pressure, so it never sees the small end being pulled apart.
I have a friend who just went 135mph to the 1/8 mile with a 250,000 mile LS short block, stock pistons, rings, rods and crank. It does have new bearings and a turbo cam.
I would use better rods in a Pontiac build just for some insurance, and they wouldn't cost much compared to the turbo build.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I recall most of that from reading Corky Bell's book on maximum boost. The stresses comparatively to make the power he claims to be far less then doing it with RPM.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The higher you go with the boost level the higher the motor is going to want to spin. So you have to be careful ...

Old 10-20-2017, 07:32 PM
Boost Engineer

Corky Bell is a very nice Gentleman from Texas and he has written several very good books on Boosting: Supercharger and Turbocharger) that Ford has in their Ford Research Library. Also each "Boost" Engineer has a Personal Copy of his books.

Highly Recommended to purchase his books on Boosting.

He also has some outstanding Cores for Intercoolers for sale.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Corky Bell is a very nice Gentleman from Texas and he has written several very good books on Boosting: Supercharger and Turbocharger) that Ford has in their Ford Research Library. Also each "Boost" Engineer has a Personal Copy of his books.

Highly Recommended to purchase his books on Boosting.

He also has some outstanding Cores for Intercoolers for sale.

Tom V.
do you have a link to look at his parts he sells Tom? I looked on line and came up with nothing...

Thanks

Old 10-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have and reference Maximum Boost regularly. I wasn't aware he had other books on the subject, I'll have to look for those.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:28 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
I have and reference Maximum Boost regularly. I wasn't aware he had other books on the subject, I'll have to look for those.
A Book on Turbochargers and their systems and a book on Superchargers and their systems and possibly a third book but I have not looked in quite a while.

Here you go:

https://bellintercoolers.com/p-36968-about.html

1-830-438-6150

Tom V.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 10-18-2019 at 05:35 PM.