Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:21 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
I dunno. Have not installed the 2-stage due to moving home, etc. Will take time to figure/get a hat on the 1050.

Car runs 12.2-12.0 as-is @3850 Lb. I suppose if it would run 11.0 on the hobo-boost that equal to 1000 Lb weight reduction for same HP NA. I guess that would be +100 hp huh.
Well i hate to say that is pretty damn impressive a 1 sec. drop at 3,800 lbs starting out in the low 12 sec zone.
I guess what this thread has proved is that electric superchargers DO WORK and can be COST EFFICIENT. No STUPID plumbing.....no yank on the crank, simple installation! I can't wait to see what they get out of the Electric Vortech V2 supercharger!

GTO George

Old 12-09-2019, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you going to change over to a pair of these now George?

Old 12-09-2019, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have not played with a turbocharger in almost 30 year. Back then the turbocharger was lubricated by engine oil (If it matters it was a Mazda RX7 Wankel). How are these electric units lubricated?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 12-09-2019, 04:01 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
Are you going to change over to a pair of these now George?
I'm probably looking for more HP then they can deliver........BUT never say never !

GTO George

Old 12-09-2019, 04:09 PM
Suspended

I wouldn't have any problems putting 2 electric Vortech v2 on my car.

GTO George

Old 12-09-2019, 05:34 PM
Boost Engineer

Vortech Superchargers does not offer Electric Driven Superchargers.

Vortron (Vortech's "sister" company) does offer Electric Driven Superchargers for "Air Knife" applications and for Airport de-icing of airplanes.

The units require a 20 Horsepower Electric Motor (weighs about 50 lbs) and required either 220 or 440 volt electric power to do the job. The units are belt driven like all Vortech Superchargers (See Picture attached).
The drive belt and pulleys are under the oval shaped cover at the bottom left in the picture.

They use a large electric motor vs a piston driven engine to drive the belt. The electric motor is under the compressor cover in the picture.

So when the guy who wants to install two electric Vortech Superchargers on his car, LOL! HE better have access to a 440 volt extension cord at the race track, lol!

Can't fix stupid.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vortron Electric belt driven supercharger.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	526325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vortron Electric belt driven supercharger-1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	526326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vortron Electric belt driven supercharger-2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	526327  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 12-09-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:49 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Vortech Superchargers does not offer Electric Driven Superchargers.

Vortron (Vortech's "sister" company) does offer Electric Driven Superchargers for "Air Knife" applications and for Airport de-icing of airplanes.

The units require a 20 Horsepower Electric Motor (weighs about 50 lbs) and required either 220 or 440 volt electric power to do the job. The units are belt driven like all Vortech Superchargers (See Picture attached).
The drive belt and pulleys are under the oval shaped cover at the bottom left in the picture.

They use a large electric motor vs a piston driven engine to drive the belt. The electric motor is under the compressor cover in the picture.

So when the guy who wants to install two electric Vortech Superchargers on his car, LOL! HE better have access to a 440 volt extension cord at the race track, lol!

Can't fix stupid.

Tom V.

Yea so don't try to fix yourself!! LOL!\

The GTO George

Old 12-09-2019, 06:00 PM
Boost Engineer

Don't have to worry about fixing something that is not wrong. Mr Roots.

On the flip side, some people need to look in the mirror occasionally and say I thought I knew something about Boosting but Tom V showed me, (and others) I did not know chit about it.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:11 PM
Suspended

Gosh you haven’t a clue, I feel pity for you.......no I take that back your not worth it! LOL! Go build a power adder car race it and then start talking!
Please don’t mention me or my car in your threads or post.

GTO George

Old 12-09-2019, 07:09 PM
Boost Engineer

I have designed, built, tested, certified, and investigated new Power Adder concepts and Vehicles for the Ford Motor Company since 1978 and all the way to 2016. EVERY BOOSTED ENGINE PROGRAM. So you do not have a clue. You do it as a hobby, I did it as a well paid job.

Everyone acknowledges that except you who think the only way to get respect is by running a 7 second time. I post info for the Boost Forum and for the PY members.
Everyone knows that. Many send me PMs about "That guy does not have a clue Tom"

So your statement in post 69 is a lie (like many of your other posts).

You made a post about electric superchargers based on an internet video.
Nothing wrong with that except you do not have a clue about the subject in reality.

Everyone recognizes that. Your posts are full of mistakes and you do not have a clue that they are wrong. So I set the record straight. I provide actual valid info,. not BS, for the PY members. That really burns you so you revert to name calling.

Tom V.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:15 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
I wouldn't have any problems putting 2 electric Vortech v2 on my car.

GTO George
I’m sure the video on the fabricated electric Vortech v2 will be coming out shortly, I’m curious how he’s going to do the battery part.......lithium? How many volts ........ 48......60 should be interesting!

GTO George

Old 12-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
I have not played with a turbocharger in almost 30 year. Back then the turbocharger was lubricated by engine oil (If it matters it was a Mazda RX7 Wankel). How are these electric units lubricated? Stan
pre-packed Dry ball bearings, for 20-30 second duty. Can run longer. Bearing life is strongly dependent on how the besring has been treated since made. 1 wrench bang on the shaft end and the bearing will die soon in use. No bangs and the life is quite long.

Ive penned a micro-sump wet-lube system for the bearings, that would need CNC machine time., Can also change to a sleeve at 1 end.

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 12-09-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
......... a 20 Horsepower Electric Motor (weighs about 50 lbs) and required either 220 or 440 volt electric power to do the job......Tom V.
FWIW; my 20 hp electric motor weighs 6.5 LB, and can draw 600 Amps DC. Made in U.S.A.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:53 PM
Boost Engineer

Honestly HIS, do you expect me to believe that the electric motor in the Vortron picture only weighs 6 pounds.

So with a 600 amp draw are you going to install 6 of the 100 amp alternators on the engine to power the thing? Right.

I have read all the BS on this deal. Like I said HIS, Ford is doing Electric Vehicles now.
Get them to hire you as a consultant.

Tom V.

I am wasting my time here.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:56 PM
Suspended

GTO George

Old 12-10-2019, 03:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

George,
Quit marking Tom's safe space. Can't you see it really upsets him?

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 12-10-2019, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Honestly HIS, do you expect me to believe that the electric motor in the Vortron picture only weighs 6 pounds.

So with a 600 amp draw are you going to install 6 of the 100 amp alternators on the engine to power the thing? Right.

I have read all the BS on this deal. Like I said HIS, Ford is doing Electric Vehicles now.
Get them to hire you as a consultant. Tom V. I am wasting my time here.
Tom, I wouldn't waste your time. Engr-to-Engr, i'm accurate. My 20 KW motor is 6- Phase, goes to 6500 RPM reliably, making 20 HP at the high rpms. 20 KW is more than 20 HP. So i'm de-rating a good bit. 6 .5 LB. ~7 Lb with 600 Amp Controllers. i run this craap at home.

We demonstrated ability to cold-start a 30 HP 2-Stroke. It could only do it smartly with Compression-Release. Needs commutation to ever get low/no- rpm TQ. But soon as it gets to 1000 rpm, its got real TQ. 5000-6500 rpm is real news. Electric-powered Propeller is the easy application.

28 VDC twice (x2) is easy with 4 Batteries ans 2 28 VDC Alternators. Ive gotten 4KW 28VDC alternators (classic Arm-field design) that weight 9.5 LB each. Made proudly in U.S.A.

photos....maybe

Sold 2003: 12.00/112MPH/1.61 60'/26"x3.31:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Q-Jet-Torker/3650Lbs//18MPG 94oct
Sold 1994: 11.00/123MPH/1.50 60'/29.5"x4.10:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Dual600s-Wenzler/3250Lbs//94oct

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 12-10-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:16 AM
Boost Engineer

Thanks for the info HIS.

4 batteries and 4 KW 28 volt alternators are above the typical enthusiast working level.
And you still need to design the FEAD to make them perform properly.

Easier to just bolt on a Vortech Supercharger and proper related parts and move on.
The electric stuff would possibly give you a bit quicker 60 ft times on the street if you did not have the driveline sorted out.

Tom V.

The original OP asked for people's thoughts on the subject, I am giving mine, and don't need the personal attacks.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Would there be an easy way on an EFI car that uses a varying speed fuel pump to somewhat piggyback off of that signal to drive the electric charger?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 12-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Boost Engineer

People have used PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signals to control the speed of fuel pumps for years.

The engine below used a Magnetic Particle Clutch (look on the supercharger snout directly behind the belt) to turn the belt driven supercharger on and off at different loads.

You could use a similar control strategy to control the Electric Supercharger,
(That has already been done by at least 3 Electric Supercharger suppliers who did testing on our cells.) Good thought though.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-Ford-Super-Chief-Engine-Show.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	526370