Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-13-2023, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cast Steel Pontiac Crankshaft

Seems as though Eagle is producing a cast steel std 400 Pontiac crankshaft per Ebay listings.

I have not checked other CID's

Eagle just did cast iron before right?

Last edited by Formulas; 12-13-2023 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep and there was tons of issues with them. Hopefully these are better.

Old 12-13-2023, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing against Eagle products as I have used a lot of there Rods, but In terms of a 3.750” stroke I would feel better running a factory crank out of a 2 bbl 350 motor that has never seen more then 4400 rpm and that has never been magnafluxed then a new cast crank.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 12:36 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulas View Post
They were showing cast steel Pontiac cranks at PRI in 2019, so it's been a while.

Old 12-14-2023, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't know there was a difference, I thought a cast crank was a cast crank?

Old 12-14-2023, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulas View Post
Seems as though Eagle is producing a cast steel std 400 Pontiac crankshaft per Ebay listings.

I have not checked other CID's

Eagle makes or made forged stroker cranks, I run one in a 467.

Does magnafluxing weaken or hurt a crank or other part that gets magnafluxed ??

Old 12-14-2023, 10:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
Eagle makes or made forged stroker cranks, I run one in a 467.

Does magnafluxing weaken or hurt a crank or other part that gets magnafluxed ??
Magnaflux is a NDT process. Non Destructive Test, so no harm is done to the base metal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Twister For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you where referring to my comment about mag testing the crank my bottom line meaning was that I would sooner use a factory crank that’s had a easy life right out of a used motor then a new cast crank made by whoever.

But of course after it was rebalanced for my needs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now days for any performance build a forged crank is the best choice. If it's a stocker that won't be driven hard then a factory crank is best, second choice for a stocker would be a cast crank.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Cast iron and steel are 2 very different alloys. Steel has a much higher melting temperature, so more difficult to cast, and more prone to distortions when cooling, but typically a stronger, tougher material than nodular, grey, malleable or even CGI cast irons.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Cast iron and steel are 2 very different alloys. Steel has a much higher melting temperature, so more difficult to cast, and more prone to distortions when cooling, but typically a stronger, tougher material than nodular, grey, malleable or even CGI cast irons.
Steel is generally considered to have 2% or LESS carbon in the alloy. Cast iron has at least 2%, tending to have ~3% or more carbon in the alloy.

There is no such thing as a "cast steel" crankshaft.

What Eagle falsely advertises as "cast steel" is in fact high-carbon cast iron. One of the Eagle representatives finally admitted a few years ago that their "cast steel" has MORE carbon in it than a factory "nodular" iron crank--a good bit more than 3%.

"CAST STEEL" IS A LIE when it comes to bottom-feeder Cheap Chinese crankshafts. If the USA had a functional Federal Trade Commission, Eagle would be forced to tell the truth, and pay fines. Maybe even recall the deceptively-advertised product.

As said...REAL "cast steel" is uncommon and expensive.

Last edited by Schurkey; 12-14-2023 at 07:10 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cast steel was used in bygone days in steam locomotive frames that where extremely intricate in terms of casting patterns and we could not duplicate them today in the same way that they did in those days.
Just imagine the patterns needed to produce a frame well over 100 ft long with the cylinders as part of it!

Today cast steel is still used in Diesel locomotive trucks where that kind of strength is called for .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Steel is generally considered to have 2% or LESS carbon in the alloy. Cast iron has at least 2%, tending to have ~3% or more carbon in the alloy.

There is no such thing as a "cast steel" crankshaft.

What Eagle falsely advertises as "cast steel" is in fact high-carbon cast iron. One of the Eagle representatives finally admitted a few years ago that their "cast steel" has MORE carbon in it than a factory "nodular" iron crank--a good bit more than 3%.

"CAST STEEL" IS A LIE when it comes to bottom-feeder Cheap Chinese crankshafts. If the USA had a functional Federal Trade Commission, Eagle would be forced to tell the truth, and pay fines. Maybe even recall the deceptively-advertised product.

As said...REAL "cast steel" is uncommon and expensive.
Merchandising.....from our friends in China. Also sounds way cooler than cast iron!. Wonder if they got the idea from ArmaSteel which also wasn't steel, just a specific ductile cast iron. At least it was good quality.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 12:53 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Thanks for that info. It's certainly disappointing. I specifically asked Eagle to confirm the cranks were cast "steel" when I saw them advertised as such at PRI in 2019. Not sure if I was talking to someone clueless or lying, but they said "yeah steel, not iron".

Old 12-15-2023, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Reminds me of a metals expert at work who explained why steel doesn't cast well. I donta recall the specifics but i do remember he concluded "on the other hand you can forge anything including bullsheet."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
If you where referring to my comment about mag testing the crank my bottom line meaning was that I would sooner use a factory crank that’s had a easy life right out of a used motor then a new cast crank made by whoever.

But of course after it was rebalanced for my needs.
Yes, was referring to the comment about you would feel better running a factory crank... "that has never been magnafluxed", that implied or sounded like magnafluxing was a bad thing somehow, just trying to clarify for others that may read that & think its better to have a crank thats never been mag'd.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 10:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
I donta recall the specifics but i do remember he concluded "on the other hand you can forge anything including bullsheet."
Yes, and that tends to come in larger rolls nowadays...

Frank

Old 12-15-2023, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess Scat is running a scam as well with their 9000 series crankshafts

Old 12-15-2023, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Wonder if they got the idea from ArmaSteel which also wasn't steel, just a specific ductile cast iron. At least it was good quality.
Actually, there were multiple grades of "Armasteel", but you're right, it was high-carbon, nodular cast-iron not "steel". However, it was not "ductile" iron. It was "malleable" iron.

Malleable iron is nodular iron where the carbon nodules are formed primarily with heat-treatment.

Ductile iron is nodular iron where the carbon nodules are formed primarily with chemical elements in the alloy.

Ductile iron is more popular now because it's cheaper to put stuff in the alloy than to go through an extensive (expensive) heat-treatment process. I'm not saying that ductile iron is not heat treated, but it's not heat treated in the specific way required to turn flakes of graphite into nodules of graphite.

Chrysler was more honest. Their crankshafts were "Pearlitic Malleable Iron" which is to say the functional equivalent to Armasteel, but without the trade-name and royalty payments to GM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Actually, there were multiple grades of "Armasteel", but you're right, it was high-carbon, nodular cast-iron not "steel". However, it was not "ductile" iron. It was "malleable" iron.

Malleable iron is nodular iron where the carbon nodules are formed primarily with heat-treatment.

Ductile iron is nodular iron where the carbon nodules are formed primarily with chemical elements in the alloy.

Ductile iron is more popular now because it's cheaper to put stuff in the alloy than to go through an extensive (expensive) heat-treatment process. I'm not saying that ductile iron is not heat treated, but it's not heat treated in the specific way required to turn flakes of graphite into nodules of graphite.

Chrysler was more honest. Their crankshafts were "Pearlitic Malleable Iron" which is to say the functional equivalent to Armasteel, but without the trade-name and royalty payments to GM.
Your exactly right. I remember getting a little booklet from Central Foundry in Defiance, OH when I went on a tour 40+ years ago. The various products they cast were described exactly as you posted. I imagine the connecting rods were not exactly the same as the crankshafts. Both were called Arma steel.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: