THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Haggerty rates are so low because cars are garaged, not driven to work except occasionally, and not daily use vehicles. I look at as fair. I would turn a claim in for a tree incident while mine was parked outside. If I was keeping outside and bending rules, I wouldn't do a claim. That is me, I don't judge what someone else might do. Claims affect rates and I guess that is my logic as it does affect others IMO.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
Air up the tire...pull off the car cover...and give them a call.. If they drop you or deny you...find another company
X2. This shouldn't even be a question.

Around here we've dealt with Hagerty before and it was smooth sailing. About $3400 of damage was done on a Friday, the adjuster came out on Monday, and a check came next Friday. Haven't been dropped, rates haven't increased, and haven't heard from Hagerty again. They're a great company to deal with.

There's a reason you pay for insurance.

If you do end up wanting to sell the car I might be interested in it.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
X2. This shouldn't even be a question.

Around here we've dealt with Hagerty before and it was smooth sailing. About $3400 of damage was done on a Friday, the adjuster came out on Monday, and a check came next Friday. Haven't been dropped, rates haven't increased, and haven't heard from Hagerty again. They're a great company to deal with.

There's a reason you pay for insurance.

If you do end up wanting to sell the car I might be interested in it.
I was unlucky when Hagerty assigned an adjuster to me - he tried to get out of paying the claim in every way possible, and didn't end up paying me until a week after they were legally required to do so. If the OP got him, it may be tough to get paid, but I'm sure he's been fired by now.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you file a claim without telling them that it was sitting outside at night
instead of in a garage like it was supposed to be, you are being dishonest. Either tell them the truth, or eat the damage and consider it a life lesson. It's so much easier to shave
in the morning when you can look at yourself in the mirror.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
If you file a claim without telling them that it was sitting outside at night
instead of in a garage like it was supposed to be, you are being dishonest. Either tell them the truth, or eat the damage and consider it a life lesson. It's so much easier to shave
in the morning when you can look at yourself in the mirror.
Will all the stuff insurance companies do to people, I would happily look at myself in the mirror in the morning. Heck I might take a picture of myself.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Will all the stuff insurance companies do to people, I would happily look at myself in the mirror in the morning. Heck I might take a picture of myself.
My thoughts exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-01-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shook1 View Post
After work, I'll look at the scene in the daylight. I'll take several pictures, and call the insurance company. If they deny, then I'll just sell or part out the car. If they take care of the damage, then good. I'll post the outcome either way.

I'll post the pictures and list the damage, probably tonight.
We called Hagerty tonight. They'll have someone call tomorrow to make an appointment to come see it. The lady said a guy will go over the car and send the information to them. They will make a decision based on his assessment and a quote from a local repair shop. That's what I took from the conversation anyway. I don't think he'll be coming by anytime soon with the weather we're having here.

Sorry, I don't have good pictures of the car tonight. Too much rain. It's also getting dark too soon. My dad used the tractor today, and said it was fine. My brother came out and moved his trailer away from the scene. It has minor damage to an edge, but he doesn't feel it is worth putting in a claim, or fixing.

On the Pontiac, there is damage to the roof, fender, cowl, windshield, rear window chrome, and other things. There is glass on one of the seats. For some reason the dash pad was off the dash, and my driver side window is off track. I'm not sure how they could be related though. Maybe the jolt of the heavy limb hitting the old car caused it. The insurance lady said to leave the car where it is for the insurance adjuster to inspect, but she advised to take pictures then put it in the building if the storm becomes too bad this weekend. It's parked right in front of the enclosed car port, so I might take pictures and back it into the building to avoid more limbs and heavy rain this weekend.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:28 PM
Senior Chief

You should take pictures of it (regardless if you move it or not) for your records in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shook1 View Post
The insurance lady said to leave the car where it is for the insurance adjuster to inspect, but she advised to take pictures then put it in the building if the storm becomes too bad this weekend. It's parked right in front of the enclosed car port, so I might take pictures and back it into the building to avoid more limbs and heavy rain this weekend.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would call them and tell them a tree branch fell on my car can you send a adjuster out to look at it. Let them take it from there. No need to make up stories if they cover it great, if not what have you to lose?

TOM
Old 10-01-2015, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If they (Haggerty) dont cover you on this....I will drop them like a bad transmission ...and find another carrier.....Iam serious..

Old 10-01-2015, 10:48 PM
Suspended

They (hag) don't like it but they know that not all cars sit in the garage all the time. If you pulled it out to do something to it & the weather got bad while you were working on it & you went inside so you would n't get wet or worse in the rain & then didn't go right back out & then the tree fell down on it , thats what the ins. is for. It was outside you were working on it & you didn't get it back inside & the tree fell on in the mean time. DONE. They pay.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok yes the car should have been in the garage. But, if you left it outside to purposely leave at risk or you intentionally made the tree limb fall on the car, then it's fraud. If you left it outside purely because you were lazy...then there is no crime in that. The policy says it should be garaged regularly not constantly. How long was it left outside? Well let your conscience answer that one. Technically it's still a sudden peril and therefore should be a covered loss. Will Hagerty drop you based the length of time it was outside? That's another story, you will have to wait and see. But a technicality on from their point of view. Either way they should pay the claim. Next question is, is it worth taking the risk of losing the insurance on your other car?

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 10-01-2015, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always thought that the main reason they wanted it housed in a garage when not in use was to deter theft.
I mean, really....almost any damage claim you make against that policy is going to be something that happens when it's outside of it's garage space. They know we drive these cars in traffic and park them in public places all the time.
So, if you drove to the local DQ to get an ice cream sundae and a tree limb fell on it in the parking lot while you were inside... they wouldn't deny it because it was out of the garage would they?
So why should they deny it when the same thing happens at your house? It was outside of the garage to have a tire changed and a tree limb fell on it....period.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Holy smokes...you guys are expecting crime tape and a lie detector test, truth serum , water boarding if needed !!!! The Op can't even shave in a mirror or put his head on a pillow at night......it was an accident...and ins company's pay up. And you can take that ins money and go to Aruba.....you don't have to fix your car with it. RELAX PEOPLE !!

Old 10-02-2015, 03:50 AM

If they don't cover it, now all the people on here reading this will think twice about buying insurance from them. The media can also work against them.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:33 PM

I took a few pictures, but not all of them down loaded to the computer. I'll either have to find them, or take more pictures.

The passenger side pillar, roof and windshield are smashed. The windshield is shattered. The driver side fender is dented. The roof behind the driver door is dented. the window on the driver door is off track. And, for some reason the dash pad came off. Most everything is repairable, but the roof may be a game changer. The car still starts up and drives fine.

We spoke to the adjuster Friday and told her a limb fell on it. We also were upfront and told her it was left outside because of the flat. She said it was still covered. She did say to get it into the building to avoid potential further damage from the storms in our area.

An appraiser will call Monday to make an appointment to look it over.

I'll post the other pictures after I find them, and I'll update later this week on what the appraiser says.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0076.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	409614   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0081.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	409615   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0082.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	409616   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0084.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	409617   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0083.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	409618  

Old 10-04-2015, 02:38 PM

More pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0078.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	409619   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0077.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	409620   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0080.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	409621  

Old 10-04-2015, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If repair costs exceed 70 per cent of the agreed value, it's probably gonna be a total loss. The roof was hit in one of the worst areas it could be, that area is very stiff. The lead joint makes it even worse, plus you have prior damage (rust).
Dash pad is secured with studs and 3/8" nuts, that's odd that it came loose.
Good luck!

Old 10-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If they say it's totaled, you can always buy it back from them and fix it.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Suspended

Buying it back will cost usually 10 % of the money they give you, but again it's an accident & not intentional , it's not like he cut the limb himself so it would hit the car. You guys are trying to make him feel bad for wanting to use his ins. Thats what the ins co. wants you to do your being good little slaves. Ins. co's make billions of dollars just because people like you want to make everyone feel bad about using it. You pay & pay & then because the ins. co's. try their best to make you feel bad about filing a claim you don't & then they make more $$ of the public. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about using what you pay for. Get you money & feel good that your going to either fix it or do anything you want to do with it. I feel bad for your lose & won't ever think bad of you for using what you pay for. Ins. has gone up almost 10,000% in 30 years no other co.s can say that or even get away with it, not even the gas co's have done that. Yes prices have gone up but not by that much so get back some of that money you've paid in to them & have fun with your car.