Old 04-22-2000, 11:10 AM

I'm am rebuilding a 70 400. Does anybody have proven method for rear (rope) main seal install? Is there a rubber seal available? Help!! Want to do it right the first time.Seems Pontiac manual describes procedure if upper is still in block.They want you to pack it 1/2 inch into cavity and then pack two more 3/8 pieces on each side of the upper.So what do you do from scratch?

------------------

gtvoll@neo.lrun.com

Old 04-22-2000, 11:10 AM

I'm am rebuilding a 70 400. Does anybody have proven method for rear (rope) main seal install? Is there a rubber seal available? Help!! Want to do it right the first time.Seems Pontiac manual describes procedure if upper is still in block.They want you to pack it 1/2 inch into cavity and then pack two more 3/8 pieces on each side of the upper.So what do you do from scratch?

------------------

gtvoll@neo.lrun.com

Old 04-23-2000, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are no alternative seals for the 400 motor. The rope seal is your only choice. I also have read those instructions about putting in the extra pieces of rope. I don't know of anyone who has actually done this. There have been some tech articles on the rope installation in HPP. I would contact HPP and get the back issue for the rope install. The trick to a proper install for a rope seal are, packing the rope "very tight" into the cap and block. The packing must be done with a hammer and some type of tool that has a large radius that is close to the radius of the cap and block where the seal fits into. Even the edge of a large socket can work. Some silicone on the underside of the rope in the cap and block is used to preven the seal from spinning. The trimming of the rope ends is tricky. The books says to trim with a sharp blade, enev a new razor blade it's very difficult. I have had better luck trimming with using a very fine tooth mini hack saw blade. Also prior to installing the crank and cap you need to dap a small amount of silicone on the rope ends where they will meet the other 1/2 and a small amount on the cap and block around the outside of the rope. Some oil needs to be put on the rope prior to installing the crank and cap also to prevent a dry start up. Also most ropes will eventually leak if the car is not driven regular due to the seal drying up. Good luck.

Tim

Old 06-15-2000, 05:15 PM

Greg;

Just so happens the latest issue of "Pontiac Tech" has a nice article on rear main seal installation. This is a once a year issue put out by the HPP folks (www.highperformancepontiac.com). If my computer technology was up to date, I'd scan the article and e-mail it but.....maybe someone out there has the issue and could do this? There's also some articles posted on this site written by Jim Hand regarding the finer (and not so finer) points of the rope seal....I think they're in the "engine/drivetrain" section.

Hope this helps.

Mike

[This message has been edited by mudhen (edited 06-15-2000).]