Old 03-18-2002, 11:38 AM

1981, I was driving my 62 Nova to a local rural welding shop to have the clutch rod repaired. As I pulled up to his home (his shop was in the back) I saw it. Parked in the yard was a tired, faded looking Pontiac. I looked closer and saw the GTO emblem on the front fender and the unmistakable endura nose. I knew immediately that this was my dream car. A 1970 GTO with faded OEM gold paint, saddle interior and rusty rallye II's. I went to the shop and spoke with the owner. Yes, it was for sale, yes it ran okay but needed mufflers he said. $250 cash and I could own it. We walked out and I took a closer look. Upon closer inspection I noticed that someone had hauled seed in the trunk. The original interior was dirty but tear free. It had a factory column shift, no console, but did have bucket's, an uncut dash bezel, oem tach and surprise that curious knob under the dash that had a sticker that said "Ram Air". I popped the hood and looked down at an unmolested YZ RA 400 with pans, rochester and functional scoops.
I had to have this car. I had driven muscle cars and street rods since I was 15. I had always dreamed of havinga GTO, especially a 70. I had a buddy who had built a sweet 70 LeMans Sport and this was even better. It was a GOAT!
I ran to my Nova, pulled the battery, slammed it into the GTO and slipped behind the wheel. I turned the key and heard a buzzing sound. The drivers door was open and it actually had an alarm. The gauges jumped to life. I moved the key forward another notch and the tired 400 began to crank over. I pumped the chrome trimmed pedal and the motor stumbled and then caught. I cannot describe the feeling I had as I heard the sweet sound of that 400 rumbling to life. Even with straight pipes it was awsome. There is no sound in the world like that of a PMD big block.
I let the car warm up briefly and it quickly idled down to approx 800 rpm. That RA cam provided a slight lope. I was in love. After about 1/2 an hour of crawling all over the GTO I pulled the battery out, put it back in the Nova, and drove straight to the bank. 1 hour later I was the proud owner of my first Pontiac and the Nova had a "For Sale" sign in the window.
I owned that GTO for 7 years. I am not ashamed to say that I truley loved that car. In the 7 yrs. I owned it I put in 3 motors, 2 third members, 2 trannies and countless parts not to mention the hours in the garage working well into the night. Looking back I wish I had kept it as close to stock as possible (coulda, woulda, shoulda!) When I did sell it due to impending wedding it had a built 428, B&M TH400, 12 bolt w/4:56.
Last year I began the search for that GTO. After about 3 months I found it in a town about 20 miles away. I contacted the current owner but he refused to even speak with me.
Now I am having a ball tinkering with my new toy, a 70 LeMans Sport convertible. The LeMans is in great shape and I drive it when the weather is nice.
I'll bet there are a million similar stories out there.

Old 03-18-2002, 11:38 AM

1981, I was driving my 62 Nova to a local rural welding shop to have the clutch rod repaired. As I pulled up to his home (his shop was in the back) I saw it. Parked in the yard was a tired, faded looking Pontiac. I looked closer and saw the GTO emblem on the front fender and the unmistakable endura nose. I knew immediately that this was my dream car. A 1970 GTO with faded OEM gold paint, saddle interior and rusty rallye II's. I went to the shop and spoke with the owner. Yes, it was for sale, yes it ran okay but needed mufflers he said. $250 cash and I could own it. We walked out and I took a closer look. Upon closer inspection I noticed that someone had hauled seed in the trunk. The original interior was dirty but tear free. It had a factory column shift, no console, but did have bucket's, an uncut dash bezel, oem tach and surprise that curious knob under the dash that had a sticker that said "Ram Air". I popped the hood and looked down at an unmolested YZ RA 400 with pans, rochester and functional scoops.
I had to have this car. I had driven muscle cars and street rods since I was 15. I had always dreamed of havinga GTO, especially a 70. I had a buddy who had built a sweet 70 LeMans Sport and this was even better. It was a GOAT!
I ran to my Nova, pulled the battery, slammed it into the GTO and slipped behind the wheel. I turned the key and heard a buzzing sound. The drivers door was open and it actually had an alarm. The gauges jumped to life. I moved the key forward another notch and the tired 400 began to crank over. I pumped the chrome trimmed pedal and the motor stumbled and then caught. I cannot describe the feeling I had as I heard the sweet sound of that 400 rumbling to life. Even with straight pipes it was awsome. There is no sound in the world like that of a PMD big block.
I let the car warm up briefly and it quickly idled down to approx 800 rpm. That RA cam provided a slight lope. I was in love. After about 1/2 an hour of crawling all over the GTO I pulled the battery out, put it back in the Nova, and drove straight to the bank. 1 hour later I was the proud owner of my first Pontiac and the Nova had a "For Sale" sign in the window.
I owned that GTO for 7 years. I am not ashamed to say that I truley loved that car. In the 7 yrs. I owned it I put in 3 motors, 2 third members, 2 trannies and countless parts not to mention the hours in the garage working well into the night. Looking back I wish I had kept it as close to stock as possible (coulda, woulda, shoulda!) When I did sell it due to impending wedding it had a built 428, B&M TH400, 12 bolt w/4:56.
Last year I began the search for that GTO. After about 3 months I found it in a town about 20 miles away. I contacted the current owner but he refused to even speak with me.
Now I am having a ball tinkering with my new toy, a 70 LeMans Sport convertible. The LeMans is in great shape and I drive it when the weather is nice.
I'll bet there are a million similar stories out there.

Old 03-18-2002, 08:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Great story!
My 78 GSE TA was my first Pontiac, it was new and was well, a new car. About a year after buying the 78 I found a 71 TA complete HO, 4-speed, 3.42's, white with Blue int and Honeycomb wheels. The guy wanted $1200 for it, the motor had been rebuilt but there was oil in the water. (And the motor was painted RED!!!) I took it home and had the exact same feelings you described.. It was love at first glance.
With the help of my friend JK Wright, we installed a 350 in it so I could drive it around while the HO motor was "fixed". Here I had a almost new 78 TA with every option and I wanted to drive this "Old" 71 TA... I miss that car.

Old 03-18-2002, 10:19 PM

Thanks, man.
I just knew I was not alone;-)
Wow, I would have loved to have gotten a 2nd generation TA brand new. Your a lucky guy. I did manage to pick up a one owner 79 TA, 403, TH400, T-tops, gold bird, etc. in 89. I had a great time with that one. I know what you mean by loving that older TA. There is just something magical about that vintage PMD. Style, power and beauty. What more could a guy want? I drive a new Ford Ranger and it is a good truck but it's the LeMans that is in the garage. My baby gets the "crib", you know?

Old 03-18-2002, 10:23 PM

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: orstratfan ]</p>

Old 04-02-2002, 10:40 PM

It's August of 1973. I'm enrolling in colege in Brookings SD. Talk dad into cosigning a loan for a car so that I could come home on weekends and milk cows. At LeFevre Motors in the front row are not one, but three Pontiac GTO Judges. One 69 ragtop, orange with white interior. One 70 hardtop, midnite blue with black interior, and a 69 hardtop, orange with 4 speed, black interior, and something called Ram Air IV. The cheapest was the 69 hardtop, $1,800.0, lot of money for a SD farm boy. I'll be damned if dad didn't go along with it and insured it under his name. I LOVED that car, it was my identity, and I was it's loving master. Fast forward to 1976, also loved a dark haired girl. Hmmmm. It seems I got twins on the way. Gas is going for 75 cents a gallon, I ain't in college any more and need to step up to the plate and support the family. Mike and Derek are born on April 20, sold my Judge for $800.00 on the 21st. I'll never forget looking at my car as I drove away in an Astre. I'm getting choked up now as I think about it. Anyway, bought a 66 this past January and my dark haired girl is all for it. Haven't told her what the restoration is costing, but we both love this car and look forward to the 2003/2004 GTO. Hope they do a good job on the design. It'll never be a 69 orange Judge though.

Old 04-09-2002, 08:32 PM

Well guys my first was a 65 Catalina 389 4 bl. hand me down from Dad.And after several years and not knowing better I joined the Service,Sold the Car and went PUKE Toyota.I never forget the Torque that Monster had! Then After My Tour :: and moving back home Married I bought my Second Indian!A New 1980 Firebird ( Sister had a New 78 T/A)Then Things turned for the worst? with marriage and if anyones been there they know the Pain.Tears,Broke paying Lawers, Bills adding up, Moving day for the X and Dad's Advice that Life's a challange just Keep that Old Chin Up. And although that was in 1981 Oct.5 Cold ,wet and crying. That FireBird still Brings Tears in my Eyes seeing it turn out the Driveway for the last time! Oh and for the Wife that Bird was and is still the Greatest and only thing she had to her name. Heart Breaker
UPDATE : "DIP" ran a Light on a six lane hiway in 1989 a reduced the Bird to Scrap. All I could was wipe the Tears and Keep that old Chin Up!
HAD TO HAVE ANOTHER!
1967 GOAT 71 455 Judge Drivetrain installed,I drove it for three months,tested all the wiring,drivetrain and began my logbook.
Now in its 4th year I've stripped it, frame off and restored every detail. Body Shop ( Friend) has almost gotten it ready for paint,So I'm expecting it back in May this Year with everything in my shop restored and polished ready to reinstall.
This one will never leave !And already found the next project ! 1972 Lemans Custom

Old 04-25-2002, 06:54 PM

Summer 1980, riding motorcycle, spot used & abused 67 GTO droptop with 4-sale sign. Inquire, test drive, get 4th gear rubber, buy car, lie to parents about price, 22 years later, almost done, still love it as much as that first day, still lieing about the money spent on it.

Old 04-27-2002, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's 73 and just got out of the army. Friend told me about a 67 GTO he was thinking about buying. Went to the dealership in Austintown, OH and beat him to the punch.(not friends anymore) Anyway it was red with black vinyl top, 400HO and only 56k.
All this for $900. I was young and didn't appreciate what I had. Modified it extensively and raced often at Quaker City in Salem, Ohio. Had kids-gas got expensive and sold it to an 18 year old who immediately blew it up. Just bought another-will probably modify it extensively but this time I will appreciate it.

Old 05-16-2002, 08:54 PM
Senior Chief

My affection for Pontiacs began in the Summer of 1968. I was 11 years old and excited my brother had just returned from Vietnam. Our cousin stoped by to welcome my brother home and show off his new 68 GTO. It was love at first sight, over the years I would wash and wax it just to get a ride around the block. I tried to purchase the GTO many times but it was sold to another family member. In 1993 I saw a add for a 1968 GTO
I purchased it and spent the next four and a half years doing a frame off restoration. It took years but I have a exact copy of that 68 GTO

Old 05-27-2002, 09:54 PM

My buddies and I are watching Dazed and Confused in my barracks room when I was in the Marines, when that sweet ass 70 Judge rolls around the parking lot. Love at first site! Then later that year, '99 we all went to the GTOAA meet in Long Beach, Ca and drooled over the Goats. Met Jim Wangers and got him to sign a copy of 'Glory Days', fantastic read, nice guy too.

I currently own a 1996 Impala SS (don't bash me too hard it's still GM) that is a daily driver, shows and races on the weekends. Runs mid 14s. I'm looking for a '70 GTO now. I almost bought one in San Diego, a base 70 GTO, but they were asking too much and wouldn't come down.

To me nothing beats that Orbit Orange color with the eyebrow stripes and goofy 'The Judge' decals, RAM AIR IV on the hood and that great sound. Can't wait till I have my own.

Jeff

Old 06-03-2002, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In High School, looking around for a '57 Chevy to redo as a driver.. stumbled across a rough 70 GTO Conv. that needed a LOT of TLC. Took one test drive and had to have it. I'd never even seen a car with that kind of raw thumping power.

During college, I had to sell "1FUNRAG" to remain in school. 10 years later, bought a 78 Trans Am and discovered this site in connection with that car. Eventually, heard about a 1970 455 car for sale in Atlanta, happened to be going thru ATL around the right time and bought the car.

Now that I've had the car for a year, I can see all the work remaining, but have to remind myself of the sad condition it was in when I got it. Every time I turn the key and the gauges jump to life, and I hear that mighty 455 roar.. it's all worth it.

-Matt

Old 06-05-2002, 03:14 PM

In the summer of '74, my boyfriend and I pool our money for a 69 Judge,Ram Air III, 4 speed, Hurst shifter...fast car. Too fast for me, he said when we broke up and took it. Fast forward to '02. I just bought a restored 69 GTO Judge (clone)...absolutely gorgeous! He (I read in the paper) is in jail for trying to steal a private airplane at a upstate NY airport. What can I say? GTO KARMA!!