The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Senior Chief

Default Trunk lid torsion rods

I just spent 2 1/2 hours in the trunk of my 'Bird reinstalling the trunk lid torsion rods. The next time I want to have that much fun I'll strip naked and roll around in an acre of poison ivy. If anyone needs a how-to on this procedure, I'll be happy to do so after my therapy is completed.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdguy View Post
I just spent 2 1/2 hours in the trunk of my 'Bird reinstalling the trunk lid torsion rods. The next time I want to have that much fun I'll strip naked and roll around in an acre of poison ivy. If anyone needs a how-to on this procedure, I'll be happy to do so after my therapy is completed.
takes about 2 minutes each.
Use a small long box end wrench to control the ends
I think its 8mm or 5/16.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Senior Chief

Like most everything else on this project, this was a new experience for me. To tell the truth, a goodly part of the time was spent trying to get into position in the trunk (been having major back problems lately) and planning my attack. My neighbor has a '67 Camaro convertible, so I went down to look as his torsion rods to confirm my memory on how they are installed. After getting the small end of the rod into position in the hinge I was left with a 270 degree reverse bend on the opposite end to get the rod into the notch and the end hooked onto the top position.

I tried using a box wrench, but that didn't work very well, so I found success using a 6" extension with a small deep-well socket. After that it was a matter of muscling it around to get it seated and then hooked.

I guess it's the results that matter, and the lid swings open like a champ now.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Tool

I made this tool and used it, works very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tool.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	211222   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6021890.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	211223  

#13 Heads -J069
Q'Jet .
8.2 Eaton Posi/3:55

Old 03-23-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Torsion Rod Tool

Thanks to all especially "Bill H" for posting the torsion rod installation tool drawing and picture. It looks just like the picture in my 1972 Fisher Body Service Manual and lists it as tool "J-21412" used for A & X Body. I made one and cant wait to try it. I used 3/8" thick x 1" bar stock I had around but it probably would work with 1/4" or even thinner also. This is for a 71 GP and manual does not list G Body separate in this case but looks like the A body setup.. The manual does not say which rod goes to which side but I do have blue paint markings on different ends of each rod. The rods are made different. I'll have to look at my 72 to see if I can figure it out. but being installed and under tension I'm not sure I can determine that yet. Anyone have an idea as to which way they go?

72 J Sundance Orange/Wht/Wht
Old 03-31-2020, 10:47 AM

In case anyone else needs this info, I found that the small bent "tabs" on the "L" ends (adjustable ends) face the front of car on both rods on my original condition 72 GP. I think I had read on another post this was the case for that example also. This being the case they can only go in one way. Not sure why the two rods are bent different as compared when uninstalled. Perhaps just to get the proper tension range. The tool works great and makes this a breeze.

72 J Sundance Orange/Wht/Wht