Old 04-07-2020, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pressure Regulators

Can anyone recommend a good quality brand name for shop air regulators, seperators etc.

Need something that will hand at least 200 psi IN, and regulate up to 125 psi out. 1/2" NPT in and out. Everything on Amazon looks like garbage.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While I'm at it ... what is the proper order for the components ... regulator first, then filter? Filter first then regulator?

Always seemed to me to make sense to put a filter/separator on first so garbage comes out before the sensitive regulator ... but it's hard to find filter/separators that will handle compressor outlet pressures in the 200 psi range.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does Parker make decent regulators?

Old 04-09-2020, 12:48 PM

Yes Parker makes very good stuff!
You should but the filter first then the regulator. then an Oiler if used.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:44 PM

Why is your compressor set so high? Most air tools operate around 80 psi. My compressor cuts in at around 105 psi and cuts out at 125 psi. Pumping up to 200 psi is very hard on a compressor and consumes alot of hydro.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have it set that high ... it's a nice two stage compressor, standard pressure for it is 175 psi. It's designed to work at 175 psi, two cylinder, intercooler etc. ... 80 gals at 175 store much more energy than 80 gals at 125 psi. This machine gets used for sand blasting, air tools and painting all of which use regulated pressure of less than 125 ... but that has no bearing on the compressor storage pressure which should always be regulated downstream anyway.

Problem is most components upstream of the regulator have to have about a 200 psi working pressure, most filters won't handle that unless you go to 1" npt industrial stuff, very pricey.

I may end up running an all metal separator then the regulator, then the filter ... separator should clean things up a tad before it gets to the regulator. Then I can run a MotorGuard on the downstream side of the regulator on the "painting leg" of the system and standard filter on the tool leg, and no filter on the sand blaster leg. Plan on building a passive drier and larger intercooler at some point, second stage gets pretty warm.

Went ahead got a 1/2" NPT Parker regulator, the nice all metal, T-handle type. Will stick with Parker products if I can. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Parker-R119-0.../dp/B007FXJVS2

Last edited by dataway; 04-09-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the parker regulator ... nice piece of kit, old school heavy metal construction .. even has a parts list, rebuilt kit list etc. with the paperwork.