Old 03-17-2020, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1966 Tempest-Drum to disc

I just picked up a mint set of front disc brakes, including the spindles, rotor, calipers, brake hoses, etc. But they came without steering arms, because the guy re-used them for his new setup. I'm trying to decide whether to re-use the ones from my old drums, or buy new. So my questions are:
Should I re-use my old ones from the drum setup, and will they work?
Should I consider used ones off of eBay? Can I trust reproduction ones for such a critical component?
Either way, should I get new bolts for the steering arms to the spindles?

Thanks,

Old 03-17-2020, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Depending on the year if the spindles, they may require larger bolt holes than your factory steering arms.
I know Summit has some steering arms that have the 1/2" hole pre-drilled, and the area around the holes is beefier than stock.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-771000

There are several other companies selling arms also.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only way the arms from your '66 drum brake steering arms will work is if you drill out the holes from 7/16" to 1/2". That's easy enough to do, should you be so inclined. Otherwise, the units linked above would be fine.

If it were me, I'd first take a swing at drilling out your existing arms. If all went according to plan, I'd reuse them. If you don't achieve the results you are looking for, which is unlikely, then I'd go ahead and order something like what is linked above.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 03-18-2020, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like I'll stick with the original arms and bolts. If I have to drill them out, then no big deal. By the time I get new arms and bolts, it could cost a couple hundred bucks or more with shipping

One thing, though, I couldn't find the torque spec for the steering arm bolts in the '66 chassis manual. If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it.