Old 04-10-2020, 03:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 67 Power Steering Pulley Size

Friend is replacing his power steering pulley in his 1967 GTO because of a wobble in the pulley. Car was originally a non-air car with the 5.75" pulley, but he has purchased and installed the AC crank and water pump pulleys. I sold my AC car so don't have it for comparison, but I was thinking that both pulleys were about 5.75" in diameter, but Ames and others are showing a much larger 7" pulley for AC cars. Did '67 AC equipped GTO's have the larger pulley?

Old 04-10-2020, 04:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

yes...

Old 04-10-2020, 06:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Zazarine restoration book shows the P/S pulley as 7 1/8".

I guess this was done to keep the drive ratio between engine & P/S the same for A/C & non A/C engines.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Checked with a friend that has an original '66 air car and he does have the larger pulley. What fueled my confusion is the PS belt on my '67 Cruiser which is an AC car is a Gates XL25-9520 according to my old notes, and that is the same belt size that is now on my blue '67 GTO that I have changed out to the AC crank and water pump pulleys with the small PS pulley. So I'm pretty sure that the Cruiser did have the smaller PS pulley since it took the same belt. I was the second owner of the AC car and purchased it in about 1986 so there was a window where the smaller pulley could have been substituted in, but seems unlikely.

Anyone have a size for the stock power steering belt for the '67 with AC? I found belt routing diagrams in the service manual but couldn't find belt sizes.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mick, you need a "901" PS pump pulley. Pulled one off one of my core PS pumps a few weeks ago for my neighbor who's in midst of frame off on a '67 GTO convert w fact AC. Odd enough, the pump that came with the disassembled '67 project, it's pulley's diameter & stagger was the same as the factory "900" non AC PS pulley, but the V groove in that non numbered PS pulley was at slightly different angle & was more shallow.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Group 1.066:

3909819........ BELT.......PS & AC exc CCS (smog pump) (3/8" x 49 5/8")

As an alt/ps belt, also fits '68's with factory PS & AC